Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage machine video tutorial husqvarna viking #1 >

Vintage machine video tutorial husqvarna viking #1

Vintage machine video tutorial husqvarna viking #1

Old 05-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I think we are mechanical vs computer as much as vintage...
So that is the difference? It's not number of years old the machine is, it is if mechanical then it's vintage?

I'm challenged by mechanical machines...understanding tension and adjustments make the gears in my brain lock up. I look at a schematic and my instinct is run old woman run.

I admire and love reading this thread about old machines and how you magician seamstresses bring them back to life and working condition! Then I read where people tell how many machines they have and I worry if I've entered a slippery slope by buying one back-up machine! :0) Does one back-up lead to another back-up to back-up the back-up????

Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM

not just "mechanical vs computer" but of the age before electronics/computer got to be the norm. For most, it's around 1979-1980 era. Technically "vintage" is 30 to 99 years old, and "antique" is 100+ years old.

My 1981 Viking 990 is old enough to be considered "vintage". However, because it's one of the first electronic machines Viking made, it's not what folks on this board are normally interested in. This board is more concerned with truly mechanical machines that we actually can fix - even if a part needs to be fabricated.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Onalee
I think that Cathy is right about the "electroincs" making the difference. for most posters here although for a sewing machine 20 years with a computer is a lifetime!
I love my #1 and it has been a faithful friend ever since I bought it new in around 1994.
The only problem is that for replacement parts and add ons you are going to pay pay pay! I recently had to replace my original bobbin case and it was about $60 from an online dealer...the local Viking dealer said that is is well over $100 for them to replace them and to get a walking foot...another $100 and it's a pretty darn crappy one.
I really can only praise the machine as I have given it a hard workout over the past 20 years and really until the bobbin case fell to pieces haven't had anything go wrong. The bobbins are also a big mistake for this machine...I understand it's the only machine that uses these bobbins...they are small and you can only get them from Viking.
Enjoy your machine
Old 05-24-2014, 06:16 PM

I have a Viking #1. Was a birthday present when it was just on the market. I love "Mom". I have never had a bit of trouble with it. If you look on ebay, search Husqvarna Viking #1 you may find some things, I don't know if there is a video (and yes one came with the machine), but I did see the original BIG blue manual at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-Husqv...item5664fcf86c. This is a great manual. I have quilted (just SID) two Queen size quilts on mine. Happy Sewing on your #1.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:29 AM

I have the H/V #1 also, the '#1' means it has a embroidery attachment. Used to be a sight called Sewmuch4retirement but believed she passed but her daughter set up a yahoo group and has loads of info on this beauty also for sale items.If I can help just hollar !
Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 AM

My #1 is a computerized machine, came with cards with embellishment stitches and does pictograms, but does not embroidery. The embroidery machine is a #1 plus (#1+) I believe.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
not just "mechanical vs computer" but of the age before electronics/computer got to be the norm. For most, it's around 1979-1980 era. Technically "vintage" is 30 to 99 years old, and "antique" is 100+ years old.

My 1981 Viking 990 is old enough to be considered "vintage". However, because it's one of the first electronic machines Viking made, it's not what folks on this board are normally interested in. This board is more concerned with truly mechanical machines that we actually can fix - even if a part needs to be fabricated.
Hi Cathy ~ Thanks for your informative response, it's so nice to 'learn' and hopefully remember! I find so much information freely exchanged on this board.

As I stated in another response how much I enjoy this particular thread...wishing I was a bit more mechanically inclined but since my husband has that talent I've never tested that part of my brain. :0)
Old 05-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
Onalee
I think that Cathy is right about the "electroincs" making the difference. for most posters here although for a sewing machine 20 years with a computer is a lifetime!
I love my #1 and it has been a faithful friend ever since I bought it new in around 1994.
The only problem is that for replacement parts and add ons you are going to pay pay pay! I recently had to replace my original bobbin case and it was about $60 from an online dealer...the local Viking dealer said that is is well over $100 for them to replace them and to get a walking foot...another $100 and it's a pretty darn crappy one.
I really can only praise the machine as I have given it a hard workout over the past 20 years and really until the bobbin case fell to pieces haven't had anything go wrong. The bobbins are also a big mistake for this machine...I understand it's the only machine that uses these bobbins...they are small and you can only get them from Viking.
Enjoy your machine
Hello Cathie ~
It's so nice to hear that this has been a such a great machine for you, that is so encouraging to me. I guess like with all things when they are no longer produced, you are at the mercy of secondary markets should the original manufacturer move forward with newer models and forget that they built a machine to last and loyal customers who will eventually need parts. Thank-you for your reply ~
Old 05-25-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie67 View Post
I have a Viking #1. Was a birthday present when it was just on the market. I love "Mom". I have never had a bit of trouble with it. If you look on ebay, search Husqvarna Viking #1 you may find some things, I don't know if there is a video (and yes one came with the machine), but I did see the original BIG blue manual at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-Husqv...item5664fcf86c. This is a great manual. I have quilted (just SID) two Queen size quilts on mine. Happy Sewing on your #1.
I appreciate your link and will head over there when I'm finished reading the replies. I send my quilts out to be quilted as I have a very reasonable LA lady and her work is far beyond what I could ever imagine me doing. I know there are members here that do outstanding work on their DM but for me just could never imagine doing something as big as QS quilt on my machine! So I'm so impressed with your talents!

Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by orchidsews View Post
I have the H/V #1 also, the '#1' means it has a embroidery attachment. Used to be a sight called Sewmuch4retirement but believed she passed but her daughter set up a yahoo group and has loads of info on this beauty also for sale items.If I can help just hollar !
I will check out the site you have suggested and do a little searching. Thanks for the invite to give you a hollar you may just be hearing from me :0) My hollar isn't as loud as it used to be, however I'll remember you for sure! Thanks for taking the time to help educate me on this new-to-me machine.