Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage machines from my basement >

Vintage machines from my basement

Vintage machines from my basement

Old 09-13-2014, 02:37 PM

I had a little accident today. I broke part of the bobbin winder on the Singer 66. There was a screw I was trying to unscrew while cleaning the machine up today and it was stuck. In my attempt to get it undone something snapped and broke right off I don't know what this part is called. I will attach a picture. I think the machine is still usable, just not the bobbin winder, is that correct? Hopefully I can find a replacement part.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 PM

66s are very common machines. You might check with ThayerRags here. He has a website he sells parts and machines from.
If that doesn't work, try Ebay.
Rodney
Old 09-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Banned

Yes, definitely check with CD. A few years ago I needed part of the bobbin winder for a Universal clone. He not only sent the part I needed, I received the whole assembly and the decal on the belt guard matched my machine! Now that's great service.

Cari
Old 09-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Can't help with the bobbin winder. But I just wanted to say, with the 66, there is a piece of red felt in the bobbin case area. Oil it and leave it there. Also, there are 2 rollers underneath the bed, on either side of the feed dogs. Be sure to oil those, too. If there is squeaking or binding in the machine, it's most likely those two rollers, and second place goes to whatever that piece of felt oils in the hook area.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Yes, like they said, Sew-Classic.com is the place to shop for parts. You might as well get some Tri-Flo machine oil too. It is great for these machines. Never use 3 and 1 oil. Quite a shopping list huh? It will come in handy later. They are right about the donut wheels getting hard. Jenny at Sew-Classic.com helped me when I was first starting to restore old machines. She really knows her stuff. You will be ever so grateful that you restored the old machines. They are old friends.
Donna
Old 09-14-2014, 05:10 AM

The video that i watched talked about the felt in the bobbin case but i found none. I will have to research where it's supposed to be and replace it. You are all so very helpful! Thanks for everything.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:18 AM

I hope you keep us up to date on your 2 machines as you go over them and bring them back to life - it will be very encouraging to all of us!
Old 09-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
The video that i watched talked about the felt in the bobbin case but i found none. I will have to research where it's supposed to be and replace it.
Here's a link to a helpful explanation of how to replace the felt wick: http://color-my-world-with-warmth.bl...k-on-66-1.html

Good luck!

Linda
Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 PM

Sarabela,

Good luck on your machines. The 328K -- that model was the first machine I ever owned -- my husband bought it for me for Christmas the first year we were married. Mine has been a real work horse -- has always run a little noisy, but it does a great job and I've been using mine for more than 50 years!

Jeanette