Vintage serger frozen solid

Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 PM

Default Vintage serger frozen solid

Applied liquid tri-flow to all applicable areas. Even used hair dryer right hoping heat would help. Just seemed to make me feel ill from the fumes.

No dice. Frozen solid. This is an old Baby Lock BL3 408

Suggestions?

(PS - how much danger did I do to my lungs by using the hair dryer on areas that I applied tri-flow to? )
Old 05-31-2019, 02:30 AM

Maybe should have done that part outside in a stiff breeze.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:19 AM

Does the hand-wheel turn? Is the machine locked in a "threading" position? It may have a lever that has to be in the "serging" position.

Is the presser foot down? Needle plate on correctly? Next, is there a door on the machine when you thread? The door has to be closed to serge.

I have the Ovation and have to check the thread/serge lever and the hand wheel after threading. Perhaps one of these suggestions will spark your machine to work for you.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Maybe should have done that part outside in a stiff breeze.
Definitely!!
Old 06-07-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Does the hand-wheel turn? Is the machine locked in a "threading" position? It may have a lever that has to be in the "serging" position.

Is the presser foot down? Needle plate on correctly? Next, is there a door on the machine when you thread? The door has to be closed to serge.

I have the Ovation and have to check the thread/serge lever and the hand wheel after threading. Perhaps one of these suggestions will spark your machine to work for you.
It needed some 'shock and awe'. The needle bar and pressure foot bar were stuck fast to the metal housing of the machine. A few light knocks and pulls with a hammer freed this us and oil in all the right places kept it moving. This is an OLD serger so it doesn't have the more modern safety features! I threaded it up and it did serge a nice seam. My poor husband though - so many stuck bits that needed his strength!