Vintage Sewing Machine Cases

Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Vintage Sewing Machine Cases

I was just on Shopgoodwill checking out sewing machines and just saw this beauty.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-19496589.html
I've seen some very cool sewing machine cases since I became interested and am starting to feel the cases might be collectible in their own right. This is just one good example of some of the designs out there.
I'm just wondering how many other people here feel the same way.
Rodney
Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 PM

That is something I would bid on and I especially love the little oil can.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 PM

Cool case and the machine appears to be in pretty good shape too.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Banned

Rodney that case was more common in Italy than here in the states. Maybe it was more expensive? The machines were more expensive than American made or Japanese machines so maybe the added expense of a fancy case wasn't wanted so much.

Cari
Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 AM

Neat. Never saw one like that before.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:15 AM

I've seen only a handful of similar cases. I'm sure it was considerably more expensive to make than the common style you see on most machines. But it' not just this one. This was just the first one I saw that was a good example. There are other varieties of cases that I like too beside this and bentwoods. Almost any vintage case is miles ahead of the modern plastic bubble case in the looks department. Modern plastic cases are practical but they're not pretty. Yes, that's a very nice oil can too.
Could be I'm so interested in vintage cases because I don't have room for all the cool cabinets out there.
Rodney
Old 01-18-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I've seen only a handful of similar cases. I'm sure it was considerably more expensive to make than the common style you see on most machines. But it' not just this one. This was just the first one I saw that was a good example. There are other varieties of cases that I like too beside this and bentwoods. Almost any vintage case is miles ahead of the modern plastic bubble case in the looks department. Modern plastic cases are practical but they're not pretty. Yes, that's a very nice oil can too.
Could be I'm so interested in vintage cases because I don't have room for all the cool cabinets out there.
Rodney
I agree with you Rodney. I also look for vintage cases not only because I like them so much but I have the same problem with space with the cabinets. I have several machines that I have taken out of the cabinets and am looking for cases for them.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:44 AM

I have the same machine in the same case. It was a fantastic bargain, especially compared to the feeding frenzy on that one. Actually, it was one of the best bargains I've found. The bad thing about the one on that auction is that the box with a drawer should be attached to the top of the case so you can open the drawer to access the parts when the doors on the case are open.

There's another version of it (I've only seen pictures of) that has 3 drawers down one side. Necchi made some nice cases...lovely Italian design.

My Necchi Nova is probably my favorite machine to use. It's very quiet and smooth. The feed dogs drop easily and I've used it to FMQ a couple of queen sized quilts. Nice machine.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:38 PM

I just looked again. It was around $75 this morning. Currently $326.98.
Incredible money to me, nice case or not.
Rodney
Old 01-19-2015, 05:18 AM

I also love neat cases. There have been a few times I really wanted to bid on something just for the case - but then I'm always worried the case will get damaged in shipping, by the machine that I didn't particularly want (usually because I already have a nice one like it).

White has some really neat cases, and neat cabinets too.