Vintage Sewing Machine

Old 09-08-2023, 05:02 AM

Default Vintage Sewing Machine

Hi all My son was recently gifted this sewing machine by his professor to use for his quilting class. I'm having a hard time finding any information on it, particularly a user manual which wasn't included. If anybody has any information or can point me in the right direction I would truly appreciate the help!
Attached Thumbnails 71581339423__d0c33f09-8f05-4353-8f6c-8c1bf3130688.jpg   71581338756__b2c815ba-75fa-4ca4-b796-a64671ef344b.jpg  
Old 09-08-2023, 05:41 AM

That looks like a "badged" sewing machine. You might check out this thread:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...s-t207877.html

Mine own is a Remington. Typically they are good sturdy solid machines that do a great straight stitch -- that is, very good for quilting even if they can't do all the things a modern machine can do.

Are there particular things you need instructions for? The professor or a basic sewing machine repair shop can show you how to thread correctly or how to wind a bobbin (or figure out the correct bobbin to get).

PS/edit: Some of these machines are fussy about have the foot -- usually down but sometimes up to actually change settings.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-08-2023 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:45 AM

What I have to say will probably sound vague. That appears to me to be a Japanese made 1950's - 60's machine. If I'm correct, the same machine was sold under several different brand names. In my experience, you will have to find your manual by the appearance of the machine. The way I've done that is to put the name on the machine as a search term, such as "Super de Luxe 135 Automatic sewing machine manual". It should take you to a site that specializes in sewing machine manuals. Generally, the name of the machine will be accompanied by a drawing of the machine. You are looking for a drawing that is identical to your machine. It might be called a "Morse Super Duper model 17". If it looks just like your machine, that will be your manual. They are usually about $10.00 for a downloaded copy.

It takes a little time, and sometimes you won't find it until you go to the third or fourth site. But, with patience you can usually find it. All the sites don't necessarily have same manuals.

Good luck
bk
If you can find the manual, it will help, as it had the oiling points for the machine. The older machines are all metal and need the moving parts to be oiled sometimes. As IceBlossom says, threading and operating the machine can be an easy fix.if you can't find a manual. Most machines thread basically the same way. If it has a bobbin, you just buy more like it.

Last edited by bkay; 09-08-2023 at 05:51 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 09-08-2023, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
That looks like a "badged" sewing machine. You might check out this thread:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...s-t207877.html

Mine own is a Remington. Typically they are good sturdy solid machines that do a great straight stitch -- that is, very good for quilting even if they can't do all the things a modern machine can do.

Are there particular things you need instructions for? The professor or a basic sewing machine repair shop can show you how to thread correctly or how to wind a bobbin (or figure out the correct bobbin to get).
Thanks for the info! Makes sense as when I was searching I saw the same exact machine except with a "Stradivaro" badge. The machine did not come with a users manual so I was definitely looking for one. He isn't proficient in sewing and this is his first quilting class. He'd love to try the machine but really has no idea how to work it lol. I'll keep searching and check out those links you posted
Old 09-08-2023, 05:52 AM

My research so far has shown the same regarding 50's - 60's Japanese machine. Thank for tips on how to find a manual, I'll definitely give it a try!!
Old 09-09-2023, 04:57 AM

Jodie, what does that badge in the top left front of the machine say?

bk
Old 09-09-2023, 07:50 PM

I think the badge is Bamberger's. Wasn't that a department store somewhere?
Old 09-10-2023, 10:12 AM

It looks to be "Bamberger's" to me also. According to Wikipedia, Bamberg's was a department store chain primarily on the East Coast, later absorbed by Macy's.

It seems likely that your machine was "badged" for the Bamberger's Department Stores to be sold in their sewing machine department; as noted above the machine being made in Japan and also likely "badged" with other names.

It looks to be a left homing, high shank machine; unless it came with attachments it might be difficult to find some to work with the left homing. I have one left homing, high shank machine and am looking at this

Adjustable Combination Zipper Foot & Straight Stitch Foot- Fits Most H – Central Michigan Sewing Supplies Inc. (vintagesingerparts.com)

(I do not work for this company nor do I have any financial interest whatsoever in this company)
Old 09-10-2023, 10:30 AM

Here's my take on the controls. Also this machine most probably uses 15x1 needles and Class 15 bobbins.
Attached Thumbnails bamberger.jpg  
Old 09-10-2023, 11:01 AM

Thank you, Joe. I put that foot in my Wishlist bookmarks. I had seen one similar on QB but I think it was by someone that used photobucket pictures.