vintage sewing machine vote

Old 10-23-2015, 04:18 PM

The vibrating shuttle type is fun to sew with and a good little machine but if you are looking for something to sew on a lot I would say get the 66. It will hold more thread on the round bobbin than the other will on the tiny spools.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yeah, there is picture floating around on the net where a collector placed a "Vibrator" branded machine, next to a "Climax" branded machine...
If those are clones I could add them to my picture collection.

Joe
Old 10-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Default Yes I have both

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Actually when the choice is between two machines the only acceptable answer is to get both.
Problem solved.
Rodney
I have 66 red eye (round bobbin) in pretty good shape, just a little wear on front bottom near needle. The other is a 127 is a sphinx 1921 bullet long shuttle, sewing machine not bad, deals are bad. Both have good moving parts and need a vey good cleaning. I want the 66 red eye. Decided to have it fixed. Then life has that funny way of telling not now. My washing machine is broke for one plus a few other things like our truck needs major work needed now. So I will wait till a better time. p.s. It will be ok, I can wait, but I was so close. I need everything to be in good time & to be right with no guilt. Thanks you gave me good information and help.

Last edited by sherian; 10-24-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:36 PM

Default which one 66 or 127

[QUOTE=sherian;7352515]

Which would you like to sew with ( not so good with the right terms) a Bar in the high position near. wheel
Vibrating bobbin (G-9054757) Both singer sewing machines. The other red eye bobbin sewing machine (cannot read #). Deals better on the red eye. I was thinking vibrating would be a tangle mix on thread running threw, but I know very little. I really like the interesting talk and ideas here.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=sherian;7355693]
Originally Posted by sherian View Post
...I was thinking vibrating would be a tangle mix on thread running threw, but I know very little...
Nesting in the bobbin area is no worse or better on either of them, should not be a problem when threaded and set up correctly. The main issues with the vibrating shuttle machine have been claims on stitch quality, bobbin capasity and availability. Either of them have been negated by owner of Singer shuttle machine (27/28 or 127/128) I know two cases where owners swears by their model 28 for perfect top stitching and for use with buttonholers. New good quality bobbins are available, but be choosy on sellers. If you wound a few bobbins at a time you get little interruption when sewing, replacing a bobbin is usually not a deal breaker.

How much better is the deal on the model 66? If they cost around $100 I wouldn't call it a steal but still reasonable, at $40 and in nice condition it's not a bad deal at all. I have seen them go for less than $25 some times if sellers wan't them of their hands quickly. If they go for much more than this they are usually in exceptional condition. I take on dirt and grime with out hesitating, rust and paint / decals in very poor condition not so eagerly.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-25-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=Mickey2;7355718]
Originally Posted by sherian View Post

Nesting in the bobbin area is no worse or better on either of them, should not be a problem when threaded and set up correctly. The main issues with the vibrating shuttle machine have been claims on stitch quality, bobbin capasity and availability. Either of them have been negated by owner of Singer shuttle machine (27/28 or 127/128) I know two cases where owners swears by their model 28 for perfect top stitching and for use with buttonholers. New good quality bobbins are available, but be choosy on sellers. If you wound a few bobbins at a time you get little interruption when sewing, replacing a bobbin is usually not a deal breaker.

How much better is the deal on the model 66? If they cost around $100 I wouldn't call it a steal but still reasonable, at $40 and in nice condition it's not a bad deal at all. I have seen them go for less than $25 some times if sellers wan't them of their hands quickly. If they go for much more than this they are usually in exceptional condition. I take on dirt and grime with out hesitating, rust and paint / decals in very poor condition not so eagerly.
I was given the sphinx 127 not in good shape few missing parts and decals very bad barley can see). I bought the 66 red eye for $60.00, he wanted $100 for it (Not good but for ok) Decals on red eye 66 good, just little wear in front - bottom (where fabric goes through needle not bad). This is the sewing machine my heart wanted for a long time. I wanting to fix the red eye 66 now, feel bad about the 127 sphinx, maybe one day I get rich and can fix it.
I tell you these vintage sewing machines really take a emotional toll on me. I am maybe to attached!