Vintage singer 128

Old 12-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

The HC has the advantage of really good control.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Go for it, I made a handcrank out of one that my son gave me, and I love it--never use it--but I love it anyway.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Thanks Joe! I wasn't aware of the repro cording. I will have to look at that. And hahaha! You gave me a good laugh. I can see your point and I completely agree....motorized machines certainly can't be beat for their speed and ease. You might not have seen an earlier post of mine.....I have 4 Singer 128's....two Godzilla and two La Vencedora. I now have 5 treadle, innumerable motorized and not one hand crank! So.....I just want one. Lol....Pretty please?
Cogito,

That sounds like I wrote it. Currently I have lots of E machines, 5 treadles, and one HC. The hand crank was sort of an accident. When I got the 127 with the HC on it I had just finished Mr. Rusty's repairs. So he became my token HC machine. He works good, sews good, but doesn't get used much. Maybe if we have a power outage like in CD's poem they might.

Joe
Old 12-30-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The HC has the advantage of really good control.
Seeeee I don't even know that because I don't have one, whine, whine. I'm going to have to figure out my strategy for convincing my DH why I need one when I finally find one.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 AM

Cogito,

Go to Sew-Classic and buy the HC unit and spoked hand wheel. Then when a cheep machine pops up, snag it. Don't say nothing, just do it.

If push comes to shove just remind him that if momma ain't happy, nobodies happy.

Joe
Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by crystal lee View Post
I have a vintage 128 with a knee bar. The cord is in very poor condition, does anyone know where I could get a replacement cord?
My 128 needed a new cord, so I took it to my local Mennonite Sewing Machine Shop, and he put one on for $5.00. If there are any Mennonite or Amish communities in your area, there will be a sewing machine fixer near by, or they will know where to find one.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cogito,

Then when a cheep machine pops up, snag it.

If push comes to shove just remind him that if momma ain't happy, nobodies happy.

Joe
haha. Just saw this. Yup, that will be part of my strategy. And I don't even need the machine or the spoked wheel...I have lots of those.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:45 PM

The 128 that I have just uses the 122 cord - single lead. ETA: Jenny carries it here: http://shop.sew-classic.com/Cord-Sin...ORE-SCE122.htm The older ones may be direct wired or something though. Or if you mean the wiring that disappears into the cubby hole for the controller - that needs to be "custom" done.

That said - the reason all but one of my VS2/27/28/128 machines are either treadled or HC is because they get incredibly loud when motorized and run fast!

In truth for some reason the vibrating shuttle machines have never been anything I tried to collect. Somehow I keep ending up with them. The 28 came with a motor kit and the handcrank both and for a price I couldn't pass up and was found on the way home from picking up the 128 Knee lever machine. If I'd found the 28 first, we wouldn't have the 128 today. The 28 is in HC configuration at this point and the motor kit is in a box awaiting an emergency. Though what sort of motor emergency I could possibly have, I'm not sure....
Old 01-01-2015, 05:57 AM

My 128 (Lillian) has a very strange electrical connection. They are small round pieces that plug into each other. I've never seen anything like it before.
And the instruction book says to screw the end of the cord into a light socket and turn on the switch. That part has been changed, as I can plug it into an ordinary outlet.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
My 128 (Lillian) has a very strange electrical connection. They are small round pieces that plug into each other. I've never seen anything like it before.
And the instruction book says to screw the end of the cord into a light socket and turn on the switch. That part has been changed, as I can plug it into an ordinary outlet.
Fascinating! I had heard that some homes were not wired except for light bulbs in the ceiling. If electrical appliances were needed, the ceiling socket needed to be used. I would love to see that "strange electrical connection" even though the part to screw into the socket is no longer there. Will you post a picture please?