Vintage Singer

Old 08-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by deebee
Thanks for the help everyone. If I read it correctly, the Singer site lists this machine as a 99K, manufactured from January - June 1918. Looks like 50,000 were made in Scotland. I feel like I'm researching a family tree with all of this research! I hope I can obtain parts and get her working! She's a little rusty.
Use Billy's tutes to clean/fix her up--she's gonna be a beauty again!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

I have one like this. It doesn't use a foot pedal; instead there should be a metal kneebar for it stored inside the cover. The bar is supposed to be pushed into that round opening to the right side of the bottom of the cabinet.

The kneebars are hard to find (edit -- unless you are on this board!); however, if you don't have a rod, you can re-jig the machine to become a hand crank. For the hand crank you need to have a wheel that has openings in it. We bought a kit for this that included the right kind of wheel. My dd *loved* using it as a hand crank when she was younger (especially since she is left-handed).
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by deebee
While out "thrifting" today, I ran across this little cutie. It didn't come with any attachments, manual or the foot pedal, appears to be missing the tension knob, and the original cords are frayed and taped. There was, however, a needle and a bobbin with royal blue thread in the machine. I found, sitting next to the machine, a wooden cover which was damaged around the handle. F8366172 is the number engraved on the plate on the bed of the machine. After reading everyone's comments on the board for the past few days, I was inspired to try to salvage her. Does anyone know anything about this machine?
OH!! She's Beautiful!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 AM

If you go to www.singer.com they can tell you about the machine. If you have the model and serial number - it's somewhere on that machine - they can tell you the date it was made.

There are also several sites that give estimates on value. Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 AM

Thanks, again, everyone for taking the time to offer such kind words and help. I'm enjoying the research and trying to follow up on all of your suggestions.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 AM

Beautiful old machine, I have one similar if not exactly like it. Replace the cord first so that you don't get electricuted.

Billie: we have confidence in you because you're the best! Always ready to come to our aid. You're our very own Lone Ranger!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Beautiful! Looks very much like one that I have that was passed down to me from my mother-in-law. I can't compare because mine is at our cabin, and I use it there often. It dosen't have a foot peddle. There is a knee thing that fits into the little hole in the front right hand corner of the cabinate. The knee thing fits into the upper case when stored. Sure hope your's isn't missing that part!!! It sew's beautifully. I'm sure you will love it.

Whoops, I went back and read other posts. You got lots of info that is better than mine! Have a wonderful day playing with your new "toy"
Old 08-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Oh my, she is beautiful. Hope you can get her running.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM

You have a 1918 Singer Model 99k. Based on your model number, I can tell you that it was built in what was then Singer's largest factory, in Kilbowie, Scotland. Although it is a somewhat rare machine, there are still quite a few in existence. In good condition, it is valued at roughly $300. In fair condition $200. In poor condition $100. I hope this is helpful, and if you have any questions, etc. about it, feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Have a great day!
Major
Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Correction to my previous reply. I was going from memory... after researching just a bit, it is a 1918 model, but it was produced in Clydebank, Scotland, not Kilbowie... that was the 1920 model I was thinking of....