Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage treadle machine question on pricing >

Vintage treadle machine question on pricing

Vintage treadle machine question on pricing

Old 07-15-2015, 04:25 AM

Default Vintage treadle machine question on pricing

I would like to know the value of my treadle machine/cabinet. I have the combo that I purchased at least 15 years ago (don't remember what I paid for it). The cabinet is in good condition. When I first purchased the combo, I had the machine head serviced and learned that it was a Singer 115. After trying to treadle, I figured treadling was not for me. However, I kept it. I have since retired and moved to NC where I brought along the machine and cabinet with me. There is no room for it and I would like to get rid of the machine and cabinet. I am not sure if I will sell it or give it away to a charity, or simply give it away. I would like to know what the approximate worth of the machine/cabinet is in any case. It is packed away in the garage and I am not able to take pictures at this time. Is there an internet url, etc. that might help me determine the worth?

TIA for any help
Mel
Old 07-15-2015, 05:24 AM

If the wood of the cabinet is in very, very good condition (no water marks, no splits, no lifting veneer) and the machine is near pristine - then maybe around $200 - $300, but it really does need to be in top condition. Most people think "good condition for it's age" which means poor condition.

Otherwise it's between $25 and $300.

Now, if you've got a few Fashion Aid accessories tucked in with it, they can easily be worth more than the machine, but these are not the basic set of attachments, but the special purchase ones.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 AM

This can help you find it's age.
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
Markets can vary wildly from one region to another. Try watching Craig's List in your area for a little while. That will at least give you an idea of asking prices on similar machines. Just keep in mind asking and selling prices are two different things. Completed sales on Ebay can give you a range too. Ebay prices tend to be higher than local sale prices.
Rodney
Old 07-15-2015, 09:11 AM

I do not know of any website to help you determine the value. Much depends on the condition of the treadle cabinet (irons and the wood) and the condition of the head (machine). Does it have nice decals or lots of wear and tear? Are any parts missing? Does it work now or will it need a full restoration? Do you have the manual? Accessories for the machine?

From there it is about where you live and whether there is someone who wishes to buy it.

I recently bought a simple style but 74 drawer cabinet with a 115 in beautiful shape for 120.00. I felt it was a good price. If the seller had wanted to wait for another buy he might have gotton a little more but I see them around here between 75.00 to 200.00 and that is an approximate.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

It is difficult to sell a treadle because of the weight in shipping. You could list it on Craig list or see if you LQS will allow ads to be posted in their store. Or even an announcement at a local quilt guild meeting. Most of the members here who post their purchases are pretty low prices found mostly in resale stores. Good Luck.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:48 AM

Check your local EBay and Craigslist -this will help give you a better idea what they sell for in your area. Mine is only worth from $75 to $125 here. But in NW Ohio it goes for $200 My sister lives in Fla and she just paid $500 for the same machine and cabinet as mine. Her cabinet needs the top re-veneered. I've put thousands of miles on mine and Myrtle still looks and sews like she's brand new.