Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage White sewing machine- turquoise color - year made? >

Vintage White sewing machine- turquoise color - year made?

Vintage White sewing machine- turquoise color - year made?

Old 09-22-2018, 05:03 AM

At one time, I lived in a 1962 mobile home that had pink fixtures - kitchen sink, bathtub, etc. The neighbor had a 1961 with all turquoise fixtures. In general, I think the pink and turquoise were from the late 50's to mid 60's and were a reflection of color trends in general and not limited to sewing machines. I still see some older homes with brick fronts that are shades of gray with bits of pink scattered throughout. Houses painted turquoise were also quite popular.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Annie in MO View Post
At one time, I lived in a 1962 mobile home that had pink fixtures - kitchen sink, bathtub, etc. The neighbor had a 1961 with all turquoise fixtures. In general, I think the pink and turquoise were from the late 50's to mid 60's and were a reflection of color trends in general and not limited to sewing machines. I still see some older homes with brick fronts that are shades of gray with bits of pink scattered throughout. Houses painted turquoise were also quite popular.
I used to own a 1966 mobile home that was white with turquoise and black trim. I don't know what the kitchen originally had because the cabinetry that held the sink had been replaced at some point. The main bathroom had turquoise fixtures and the bathroom off the master bedroom had pink fixtures but all three rooms had the same white and gold counter tops.

Cari
Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 PM

The one on the left in leonf's picture resembles one that was a gift to me from my parents in 1966. I don't remember the model number, but I used it for 20 years and sold it cheap when I inherited my mother's slightly newer and much fancier Elna. I sure regret giving up the White, but at the time I couldn't think why I might want more than one sewing machine.

Mine was made in Japan, and the manual was translated by someone who didn't have a firm grasp of English. Also, it was printed in the teensiest, blurriest type. I barely knew how to sew and had to dig out a lot of information from that little booklet. I think the machine had features I never even tried because I could make no sense of the explanation. The shop owner who sold it to us demonstrated free-motion embroidery on it and made it look easy. That was something I tried exactly once. How did we ever get along before Internet?! By the way, in those 20 years I did a lot of sewing, from my college clothes to my daughter's clothes through second grade, as well as my first quilt and several home decor items like curtains and pillows. In all those years I remember only one part I had to replace, the bobbin case.

It was a workhorse. The man who bought it at my garage sale owned a tailor shop and knew what he was getting for his $15!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:19 AM

My bathtub, sink and toilet are all pink. Toilet has a 1958 date. I don't know dats on the machines pictured.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:30 PM
Banned

Leon, what's the JA# on that Fleetwood machine?

Cari
Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 AM

I'll have to dig a bit to find it.