VS2 1893 Treadle Table ID help

Old 03-24-2021, 09:49 PM

Default VS2 1893 Treadle Table ID help

Hi Everyone,

I was very lucky to get an 1892-1893ish VS2 in a treadle table the other day. There is a hole in the table near the back (that is, behind the machine, a little to the left of the pillar) that seems to be missing the upright "peg" you can see in the attached pic. It's a snippet from an 1893 VS manual and the 1891 manual I found on ISMACS doesn't show this peg in its equivalent illustration.

Do any of you know what that peg was for (to support the machine when it's tilted back perhaps)? And do any of you know what dimensions it had, more or less. While I very much doubt I can get a replacement I may well be able to ask a woodturner to fashion something to suit. Of course - if anybody knows where I can get a replacement that would be even better!

Thank you and all good wishes... Megan
Attached Thumbnails 1893vs2manualtreadletablesnippet.png  
Old 03-25-2021, 05:28 AM

Yes, that is to support the head when you are oiling the underside. There is a picture next to a ruler at Fleamarket find - Singer VS2 fiddleback and bulge sizes at Fleamarket find - Singer VS2 fiddleback I think there were a couple of different size holes for it to fit.

These machines don't have a drop down head and had a 'bonnet' that would fit over the head to cover while not in use.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-25-2021 at 05:32 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 03-25-2021, 12:48 PM

Awesome Janey - thank you! That's such a clear pic I think a woodturner could virtually make a pattern for it. Certainly one good enough to do the job. I'm going to keep a copy in my handbag too just in case I ever come across anything "floating about" that looks to be a likely suspect...

Happy dance!
Megan