Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Walking Foot for a Featherweight Question

  1. #1
    Super Member KyKaren1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Owensboro, KY
    Posts
    1,420

    Red face Walking Foot for a Featherweight Question

    I recently bought a new sewing machine; the Janome 6600, which has a built in walking foot. I already had a low shank walking foot for the Quilter's Dream 3160, a Janome low shank machine which I traded in for the new Janome.

    So, now I'm wondering if that Janome low shank walking foot will work on my Low Shank Featherweight machines. I'm afraid to even try it; scared I will mess up my Featherweights.
    Karen in Kentucky

  2. #2
    Senior Member wildwoodflower12390's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    379
    I will certainly watch this one I also have a Featherweight that my mother gave me. I named her Lenora, my mothers middle name. Had her cleaned and she just sews wonderful.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    lead hill,ar.
    Posts
    206
    I would like to know to

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kentucky - Live in Iowa
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwoodflower12390 View Post
    I will certainly watch this one I also have a Featherweight that my mother gave me. I named her Lenora, my mothers middle name. Had her cleaned and she just sews wonderful.
    That's a name you don't hear very often. If you read my name backwards - you will see why I like it.
    Aronel aka Lee

  5. #5
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by aronel View Post
    That's a name you don't hear very often. If you read my name backwards - you will see why I like it.
    I totally understand your anxiety. I snapped a foot from a high shank Necchi on my Singer 401 and got it out of timing in 2 seconds.... The Necchi foot was a bit taller than the slant feet.

    I don't know why it wouldn't fit if it is a low shank walking foot. But as a precaution, take a good look at the walking foot. Does that shank look to be the same height when held up to an attachment that really does go on your machine? Then if it seems so (it should) try it on the machine. Don't let it snap down hard and fast - do it slow & don't run it yet. Then look and see if there is anything it needs to clear - thread cutter? anything it would hit. Then test it by hand turning it. Does it work for a couple inches? If so try running the machine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  6. #6
    Senior Member wildwoodflower12390's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    379
    I like the name Lenora, and had I had the forsight in my 20s when my daughter was born she would have Lenora in her name...one of those life lessons. I have not seen your name before, and I would guess like Lenora, your name Aronel has a nice 'flow'.

  7. #7
    Senior Member pippi65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central, Illinois
    Posts
    400
    My DH modified a generic walking foot that I can use on my featherweight as well as an old Pfaff. It has worked just fine. I have quilted many small quilts and wall hangings with it on my featherweight. I got the walking foot at the Singer store in Chicago.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

  8. #8
    Super Member lovelyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,103
    Blog Entries
    6
    I wouldn't risk it. I tried a low shank walking foot that came with a brother machine and after sewing a couple of seams, the screw had somehow tightened so much I couldn't get the walking foot off of my FW! My DH wasn't strong enough either, but he worked and worked at it until he got it loose. It did scratch the FW a tiny bit also. I was in tears through the whole thing! I ordered one from April's 1930's that she guaranteed would work with a FW and it does a great job! http://www.april1930s.com/
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

  9. #9
    Super Member janiesews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Iola KS
    Posts
    2,841
    I purchased an Alphasew walking foot for my featherweight and have had very good luck with it.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Swanzey NH
    Posts
    90
    Hi,
    Iwas told it wouldn't because the feed dogs on a featherweight are narrower than most low shank machines, so you need the one made for the featherweight.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    from MN and now in Texas
    Posts
    233
    Hancocks carry generic feet and bobbins that fit the featherweights. They also have the walking feet for them.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,896
    Blog Entries
    2
    My sewing repairman said a generic low shank walking foot will work great on a featherweight.

  13. #13
    Senior Member LindaDeeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    431
    I wouldn't risk using parts from one machine on another ... I sure wouldn't want to damage my machine!

  14. #14
    Super Member tellabella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,186
    Blog Entries
    1
    I tried my walking foot that was bought for a Kenmore(Janome compatible) and it did not work...I am sure it is a low shank but still it wouldn't go...I tried it very gently and saw that it just didn't move right so I took it off...I a interested to see which ones work...

  15. #15
    Member beachbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sam Houston National Forest, TX
    Posts
    20
    I have a walking foot made for a featherweight. I used it to put the binding on a quilt. It worked well. I felt like it was a
    strain on the machine. I decided this might be one of those things that just because you can, maybe you shouldn't.

  16. #16
    Super Member KyKaren1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Owensboro, KY
    Posts
    1,420
    Thanks everyone! You have convinced me that it's not worth the risk to try it. I'd rather protect the Featherweight than worry about the $20 or so dollars being a waste at this point.
    Karen in Kentucky

  17. #17
    Super Member duckydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Hill MO
    Posts
    1,675
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would be afraid to try it, you can buy a walking foot for you featherweight

  18. #18
    Super Member patdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    So. Fla now, Va orig
    Posts
    1,568
    Most walking feet that are generic low shank will work on the featherweights, be careful of those that come with other machines as they may be slightly different. For Miriam who put a high shank on a Singer slant 401 OUCH. The Singer slant needle machines are a breed unto themselves and NOTHING other than slant attachments will work on them!
    pat design

  19. #19
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
    Most walking feet that are generic low shank will work on the featherweights, be careful of those that come with other machines as they may be slightly different. For Miriam who put a high shank on a Singer slant 401 OUCH. The Singer slant needle machines are a breed unto themselves and NOTHING other than slant attachments will work on them!
    I learned a LOT with that Singer 401g machine... I learned that you do not use WD40, 3-in-1 oil or gun oil - it dries up like rubber cement. High shank feet to not fit slant shank machines - I tested that one out and had to re time the machine. I learned how to take apart the stitch selector and cam stack (3-in-1 really gummed up.) Then I learned that denatured alcohol would dissolve 3-in-1 oil anyway... gotta keep it off the paint. I learned how to clean up and overhaul the motor. I have learned how to change out a needle shaft and re-time. I learned that the German made Slant-o-matics will treadle. I didn't have a manual and didn't find one on line for a long time so I learned what combinations worked to change stitches by trial and error - mostly error - then I figure out all you really need to know is right on the lid - duh... I learned that you HAVE to keep the piece that goes back and forth by the needle bar and near the cam stack from gunking up - a lot of those machines come gummed up in those places. I learned that the 403 and the 503 are easier to use and do the same stuff. I learned that there are two kinds of buttonholers for those slant-o-matics - one that zigzags and one that moves the fabric back and forth. I learned that the feed dog cover that comes with the professional button holer doesn't work as well as the older one. I learned that you can wind the bobbin while you are sewing by putting a spool on the lower holder and running the bobbin as you sew - sweet... The 411 came with a part that goes around the throat plate so if you raise it you can FM. The 401G and the 411G can do chain stitches - I have yet to try. (Maybe one day when Iris comes over.)
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  20. #20
    Super Member patdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    So. Fla now, Va orig
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I learned a LOT with that Singer 401g machine... I learned that you do not use WD40, 3-in-1 oil or gun oil - it dries up like rubber cement. High shank feet to not fit slant shank machines - I tested that one out and had to re time the machine. I learned how to take apart the stitch selector and cam stack (3-in-1 really gummed up.) Then I learned that denatured alcohol would dissolve 3-in-1 oil anyway... gotta keep it off the paint. I learned how to clean up and overhaul the motor. I have learned how to change out a needle shaft and re-time. I learned that the German made Slant-o-matics will treadle. I didn't have a manual and didn't find one on line for a long time so I learned what combinations worked to change stitches by trial and error - mostly error - then I figure out all you really need to know is right on the lid - duh... I learned that you HAVE to keep the piece that goes back and forth by the needle bar and near the cam stack from gunking up - a lot of those machines come gummed up in those places. I learned that the 403 and the 503 are easier to use and do the same stuff. I learned that there are two kinds of buttonholers for those slant-o-matics - one that zigzags and one that moves the fabric back and forth. I learned that the feed dog cover that comes with the professional button holer doesn't work as well as the older one. I learned that you can wind the bobbin while you are sewing by putting a spool on the lower holder and running the bobbin as you sew - sweet... The 411 came with a part that goes around the throat plate so if you raise it you can FM. The 401G and the 411G can do chain stitches - I have yet to try. (Maybe one day when Iris comes over.)
    When I first got my 401 it sat for a long time with me using only the zig zag and straight stitches, it truly intimidated me. Now I must say that it is my favorite machine other than my brother quilter and embroidery machines. Of course I love my featherweights but for overall versatility and heftiness I think that the 401 is in a class of its own. I assume your 401g is the German equivalent of the Am. made, I wish my 401 would chain stitch, but it does not.
    pat design

  21. #21
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
    When I first got my 401 it sat for a long time with me using only the zig zag and straight stitches, it truly intimidated me. Now I must say that it is my favorite machine other than my brother quilter and embroidery machines. Of course I love my featherweights but for overall versatility and heftiness I think that the 401 is in a class of its own. I assume your 401g is the German equivalent of the Am. made, I wish my 401 would chain stitch, but it does not.
    Now days you can find manuals on line!!! Sure does help with a 401.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    120
    There is a source for a walking foot made for the featherweights. Try Jean Lyle on the net. She has the most wonderful
    products for the Featherweights. I first came across them at the AQS show in Paducah. I even bought a scratch and dent model of a reproduction table and had DH rework the opening to fit my white featherweight.

  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,650
    Great information from everyone. I recently got a FW born in 1949, my birth year! I am glad to know about the walking foot.

  24. #24
    Junior Member quiltgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    247
    For anyone interested, I have walking foot on my website www.thequiltgal.com and I have been using one just like those on my Featherweights since 1999 or 2000. No problems! Love it!
    This is the one in the box in the first picture. See the little fork with the black covering. It goes over the screw that you use to tighten your needle.
    The second type are for sale, but NOT on my website. They have the little arm that goes on top of the screw (not a fork over and under). This type does not work as well and as for as I know actually sells for more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.