Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Walking Foot For a Singer 403A? >

Walking Foot For a Singer 403A?

Walking Foot For a Singer 403A?

Old 09-07-2020, 07:20 PM

Default Walking Foot For a Singer 403A?

Did Singer make an, "old school," walking foot for the 403A? I'm wondering if they ever made an old, metal one of any quality. I have a newer, plastic foot that is just cr*p. It skips stitches and doesn't travel smoothly. (The plastic one I bought before this one literally fell to pieces in my hand...augh!) Thanks
Old 09-08-2020, 04:13 AM

For the "slant" machines, you need a slant walking foot, and yes, they did make them for those machines.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:42 AM

I don't have an answer for your question, but I've never seen one in person or on the web. If there were some made, they must be few and far between.

I've bought two after-market (new) walking feet for my slant machines (503, 401 and 778) and both have worked just fine. One was labeled as a Singer and the other has no label.

I've found you have to reduce the pressure on the presser foot, reduce the tension and elongate the stitch to about an 8.

bkay
Old 09-08-2020, 02:11 PM

Thanks bkay, I'll try your suggestions.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:35 PM

Tropit- try your local sewing machine repair person, I actually have 2 of the slant walking feet, so they should be readily available. I don't know how a walking foot for a straight shank would work, even doing the "adjustments" mentioned.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:19 AM

Well, I was wrong. They apparently did make walking feet for the slant machines. Here's the etsy page for different slant shank walking feet, including both vintage and new ones.

As I said before, I have one that is labeled Singer and one that has no label (both were bought new in the last 5 years). I bought another one because the Singer model didn't have the little arm that you use as a guide for echo quilting. I probably bought mine from Sew-classic, which is now out of business, but they are readily available lots of places. I think I paid around $20.00 each for them.

bkay
Old 09-09-2020, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Tropit- try your local sewing machine repair person, I actually have 2 of the slant walking feet, so they should be readily available. I don't know how a walking foot for a straight shank would work, even doing the "adjustments" mentioned.
Both my walking feet are slant shank specific.
bkay
Old 09-10-2020, 08:20 AM

Thank you for doing all that research everyone. That one in Etsy looks interesting. It's not cheap, but it appears to be made out of metal and of vintage origin. I may have to get that.

~ C