Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Went sewing machine shopping today .... what a bunch of junque >

Went sewing machine shopping today .... what a bunch of junque

Went sewing machine shopping today .... what a bunch of junque

Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Default Went sewing machine shopping today .... what a bunch of junque

We went out hitting the thrift stores today.

First one is one of those "Buy, Sell, Trade" kind of places. We found a bunch of machines, none of them we could touch.
2 - Featherweights in their cases = $350.00 each. They stunk bad and neither were complete.
1- Singer 99 in a bentwood case, knee bar controller. Complete with accessories, and knee bar. But the case was water damaged and the machine was filthy. Nothing that couldn't be repaired, but the price = $135.00

1 - Japanese HA-1 15 clone, no box, no nothing, bad wiring (just what I was looking for) = $140.00.

1 - Franklin 1911 in a case, no motor, missing the front slide plate, bad wiring = $80.00

Several older treadle heads. The kind with the tension on the top of the arm. All of them pathetic but rejuvenatable. No prices, and I was afraid to ask.

These prices were so far out of line I didn't even bother trying to negotiate them down.

.................................................. ....................

Second thrift store = zero machines.

.................................................. .......................

Came home and checked Craigs list. Nothing much of interest but one old Newhome with the top tensions, cloth wiring, ancient foot controller and all it's side plates in a bent wood box minus the handle. $25.00.

That one I'm considering contacting the seller.

.................................................. .........................

I sometimes wonder what folks like those running the first place are smoking. They gotta be stoned.

Joe
Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Sounds like what I find around here. Friday I went to a thrift store and found a 15-91 in an abused cabinet. Missing the bobbin case, tensioner, and bobbin winder. No attachments. A bargain at only $175. I laughed when the guy showed it to me.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM

we had a singer 91-15 on a site here -he said runs good asked $100.00 and that they go for $300 on ebay.I asked him if he really sewed a sample-he said no.Well how come he said it runs good.He said he did not have fabric or thread-he also had 3 other machines and said they all ran good,lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM

These people should just admit they are living in Neverneverland!! Ridiculous expectations!!! I just go right past any of those....waste of time. I tried talking people down, but most of them won't budge.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:36 AM

Sounds like my shopping excursion yesterday. Did not find a thing. But that is good. Had to go to the tractor parts store to get a belt and axle spindles for the riding lawnmower. When I was there last time for parts I was chatting with the parts guy and mentioned that I collected old sewing machines. He told me that he had an old treadle in his garage that he wanted to get rid of. I told him that I would take it off his hands. He said that he had to ask his sisters if anyone of them wanted it as the machine had belonged to his mother. Well, as I was walking out the door he was coming in. I asked him if he still had the sewing machine and he said yes, call him in a couple of weeks. It might be a freebie but if he wants to give it away I will oblige and haul it away. Don't know what kind of machine it is or it's condition. Moral of the story is ALWAYS open your mouth about your sewing machine hobby, aka addiction, as you never know who will have an old machine they want to get rid of.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM

I know what you mean Sweet Caroline. I was talking to a girl at work a few weeks ago about how I was looking for a Singer treadle machine. She said she had one and did I want to buy it. She was asking $75.00 so I said I would take it. Turned out to be a Singer Red Eye. It is a nice machine and treadle. So yes talk to people about what you are looking for. Someone working right next to you could have what you want.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Used machines are overpriced, especially the GOOD older ones. The new ones are mostly plastic and VERY expensive. I paid $350 for my Featherweight BUT I bought it from a reputable shop, it had been serviced and came with a 90 day warrenty. I would rather pay more like that than take my chances elsewhere
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
Used machines are overpriced, especially the GOOD older ones. The new ones are mostly plastic and VERY expensive. I paid $350 for my Featherweight BUT I bought it from a reputable shop, it had been serviced and came with a 90 day warrenty. I would rather pay more like that than take my chances elsewhere
I sell stuff on CL all the time. I refurbish them myself and don't charge an arm and a leg. There are places other than a 'reputable shop' to buy from.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Today a guy came to the house to fix the fireplace. I said I was going to the other room to work on my Singer Red Eye, and that I was going to go looking for replacement parts for the treadle frame. He said they have two at home that are never used. Will send me pics. So maybe the frame will just be replaced in toto. Crossing my fingers.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM

We went to one of the GWs we hadn't been to before yesterday. Found a sewing cabinet less machine for $15.00. It came home with us. There was also a Japanese ZZ machine in a cabinet for $45.00. White in color, a Kono or something like that. It stayed there. It wouldn't have added to our collection, just another ZZ machine.

Joe