What Do I Have Here model 15?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 AM

What a lovely gift! That is probably my favorite decal pattern and I don't have one like it!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 AM

A friend of mine once described her 115 as "the machine I will take to the rest home with me." That was enough for me! I had to have one. The rotary bobbin is special; My Singer 301 and my Bernina 1630 both have them.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
What a lovely gift! That is probably my favorite decal pattern and I don't have one like it!
I feel very blessed to have received it. Nothing like that seems to ever happen to me. I also loved the decals and got so excited when he said it was mine.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 AM

Candace, I also have never used it for FMQ since mine is a treadle machine and I like electric for FMQ. I (like Miriam) assume it would be great at FMQ.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 AM

how do you clean it up I was given a beautiful old machine and have no idea how to clean it up ........
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crazy Quiltin Robin View Post
how do you clean it up I was given a beautiful old machine and have no idea how to clean it up ........
In the sticky notes Muv has a wonderful set of videos and you will not harm your machine:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
Old 08-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Quiltin Robin View Post
What Miriam said: In short, remove loose dirt and lint with a nylon brush, then apply sewing machine oil to a soft cotton and get the grime layer off and bring her back to beautiful. Metal polish and strips of cotton will bring back the gleam of the shiny parts. Don't use alcohol or cleaning chemicals: They might dissolve the shellac and decals (alcohol definitely will). Removal of the dark grime on the decal layer will take hours of gentle rubbing.

You will probably be shocked at just how beautiful your machine will look. You finish off by applying a single drop of oil to each of the oiling point from the manual (singerco.com, search for manual, enter model number 115 will get you a printable pdf).

Might take a while but is definitely worth it, especially for this 15 version: Rotary bobbins are quite rare with domestic machines (they're common with industrials) and allow faster stitching.

Muv's videos are a great resource if you're in any way unsure about this. Nothing like watching it happen.

Take photos as you go (it takes so long to clean the outside that you might not notice your progress) and when you're finished (for us), and welcome to the cult
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 PM

This should also help you with some of the differences between a 115 and a 15
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216990.html
Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
This should also help you with some of the differences between a 115 and a 15
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216990.html
Thanks Tammi. You've been quiet lately.
That's interesting information. I was really keen on a 115 until I read your posts. If I need a heavy duty rotary bobbin I'll just use the 96 in the shed.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM

Yeah, we've had a bit of a family emergency here, so I've been spending very little time online. Things are finally settling down a little, so I'll be back as I start to catch up.

I never did bond with my 115 for some reason. That said, I have too many machines here and didn't spend a lot of time at all with it. I have slimmed down a number of the machines and the 115 went this weekend.