Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What to do with a treadle cabinet. >

What to do with a treadle cabinet.

What to do with a treadle cabinet.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by veedub2 View Post
Not talking about the machine, I am talking about the treadle base.
I would certainly attempt it. If nothing else, clean off all the old shellac and restain it and new shellac. Here's a pretty good tutorial. refinishing sewing machine cabinets . For the cast iron, a dremel will help, but it will be slow going.

Again, it's certainly worth an attempt.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I love the sink "idea", but I personally object to having one. I have a couple of old treadles and a coffee table made from an old base. Let me tell you, the metal frames attract dust and are hard to keep clean in my farm home. (We live on a gravel road, and I like to have my windows open.) I see all that open space under the foot pedal as a hard place to get clean especially as I get older. Oh did I say I hate to clean! It really is a cute idea.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:46 PM

I've seen examples that bad and worse brought back to life. There could be some beautiful details under all that dirt and you could refinish and recane the chair too.
Where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 AM

Before making an attemp, a person should research to discover if they have a one of a kind, rare item that people will pay a lot for and will restore, or something that was produced by the millions.

I have seen people get a hold of a fancy leg florence cabinet (worth about $1,000 for the legs in any condition) and then paint it or cut something off. They had no idea how rare it was. I've also seen people take a basic Singer treadle and put a lot of time/funds into restoring, and then wonder why they can't sell it for $200.

But often it's the challenge - I spend $200- $300 and lots and lots of time to make a specific quilt because I want the challenge - and then I give it away. But at least I'm not cutting up a $1,000 antique gown to make a $300 quilt.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 AM

I absolutely would try my best with that treadle. The chair would need to be re-caned, but there are people who can do that, or show you how to do it. The treadle base needs care and attention, but it can be done, even if the veneer is perished the wood will turn out beautifully - hopefully there is no woodworm in it? If there is woodworm, it will take a bit longer, providing the base has not been feeding a generation of worm. The machine will take longer to fix than the treadle and the irons.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Yuck. What next, a treadle toilet? I also dislike the tables made from treadle irons. Such a waste.

About as cute as a Singer machine doorstop... or boat anchor.