What is this?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Well Joe, you're clever and have made some neat fixes with parts from HD etc. The problem with rigging the tops is that it would likely be visible and not very attractive. I would bet most donor 500's have broken clips too...that's the problem:< Though, if you could think of something that wouldn't look like a Frankenstein machine, you may be onto something!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks everyone! I thought it was cool looking!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Here is Perty Face I've been working on lately. Mine reluctantly has the top on it - I posted about it earlier on the vintage board http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...3881-3823.html starting at window #38228 The tops have a habit of falling off or getting lost or broken. The machine is a real nice machine. That top piece may cost... if you can find one... The good news is that the machine will work anyway - it is just for looks. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]366676[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails perty-face-singer-500-028.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 09-30-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

The Singer 500 will work just fine without the door cover parts prone to break or get lost - this one will still thread and the light works - it just looks odd because it is missing the doors. Some times it is the hinges on the top - the nose door top hole breaks - my BIL uses JB Weld and a rivet - works fine. I think that machine is still worth the money if it sews. They do gum up inside and they do need some care to keep in top condition. Well worth the effort. The only thing better is a 503 or a 403 - they HAVE to use the disks for all decorative stitches. Oh this one is Dorthy the Donor - she has a special place in my shop - I have fixed lots of machines thanks to DD - and no she won't sew ever again. Tis a pity. Her top door is pretty dinged up and maybe missing some stuff... I don't know. With the right paint it might work for some Singer 500... Her nose door is adorning a different machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]366684[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails perty-face-singer-500-001.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 09-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Well Joe, you're clever and have made some neat fixes with parts from HD etc. The problem with rigging the tops is that it would likely be visible and not very attractive. I would bet most donor 500's have broken clips too...that's the problem:< Though, if you could think of something that wouldn't look like a Frankenstein machine, you may be onto something!
Well, I've improvised on machine case latches true, and it not only looks decent but works. But not the machines themselves. I've always replaced the broken / missing parts with new or reproduction or used OEM type parts when I can. I do not jury rig my repairs. Not with cars / trucks, guns, sewing machines or anything else.
Like you mentioned that would not be very attractive, matter of fact it would be ugly. I do occasionally have to fabricate a part. When I do that I make is as near the OEM as I possibly can. That way it don't look bad.

Joe
Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

The hinge pin on the nose door... I've seen lots of ways to do them - a rivet or a very short nail through the hole to replace a missing pin. I've seen the hinge hole broken - BIL used the JB Weld to hold one on - it looks just fine. The top doors are another story. When they go they are gone unless you can find a donor. I don't think there would be much way to improvise one of them. They are big and heavy and clumsy on those machines. I think I would be inclined to take it off and park it in a drawer unless I was going to show it off... They are very cool machines. I like the way you can see with out straining your neck - that needle is positioned closer to the front than most machines. I have real gripes with some of the newer machines and their bulk - I got rid of my Janome for that very reason - it was hurting my neck and shoulders to see to sew. I think I judge a machine on whether or not I can see the needle easily or if I have to duck my head.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Heres another one that I was wondering what it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HAND...item484648da82