Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Wheeler & Wilson hand crank sewing machine >

Wheeler & Wilson hand crank sewing machine

Wheeler & Wilson hand crank sewing machine

Old 12-20-2023, 01:17 PM

Default Wheeler & Wilson hand crank sewing machine

I found this sweet old thing on Facebook marketplace, a W&W W9 hand crank! Last patent stamp is March 25th 1990, and I was told it is probably a mid 1890s model. One of the earliest because of the support bracket for the hand crank. 130-ish years old!

I happen to already have this same model on a treadle so I can share bobbins and needles.

It has a sticky spot in the crank rotation, and I haven't dug into it yet to sort it out, but I hope a good cleaning and oiling will set it right.

I know I never see these so I was delighted that no one else had snagged it first. The lady I bought it from was sick though, so I didn't stick around to find out if she knew its history.

it needs a case key and more looking over, but I just wanted to share some pics of my lucky find. 😊

Did that work?
That didn't work, gotta figure out pictures...

Last edited by Bunker; 12-20-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:30 PM

Old 12-20-2023, 02:48 PM

What a great looking machine! and quite the interesting hand crank set up, haven't seen anything like that before.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:40 PM

Upon closer and more informed inspection, this is a 9 head, not a D9. I can't share bobbins or needles. 😒

However I did stumble on an article offering a bobbin replacement since the 9 uses the 8 bobbin and they are super scarce. SKC knitting accessory tatting shuttles have a removable bobbin that is slightly smaller than the 8/9 bobbin, but fits pretty well except a bit more rattly.

And also there is a stop built into this which allows it to use standard DBx1 needles.

So I'm off to outfit my new baby with bits and pieces and dig further into mild disassembly for cleaning because something is a bit sticky feeling.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:09 AM

Oh, my! I'm so fond of hand crank machines, and yours is such a beauty! I do hope you can get her up and running! I'd love to see a video of her sewing, but don't think one could be posted here.
Congratulations on your find!
Old 12-21-2023, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
What a great looking machine! and quite the interesting hand crank set up, haven't seen anything like that before.
It's in very nice shape for its age, I feel quite lucky to have seen the ad!
Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
Oh, my! I'm so fond of hand crank machines, and yours is such a beauty! I do hope you can get her up and running! I'd love to see a video of her sewing, but don't think one could be posted here.
Congratulations on your find!
I believe if I can make a gif out of it I can share a few seconds, so I'll give it a go in the future.
It must have been stored with the cover on a lot, there is considerable wear to the base bottom and the cover is dirty but not cracked, it's a miracle!
A very lucky find indeed.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:06 AM

Gorgeous! Congratulations!
Old 12-22-2023, 08:16 AM

10 second clip of the slightly sticky wheel turning.
https://i.imgur.com/xp7uyA7.mp4

It looks like I must undo 6 screws on the bottom to access the works where I think it is sticking. I can't simply lift the head out of the frame because the hand crank bracket is also screwed down and I don't want to misalign things if possible.
I looked into the inspection port and it looks clean, just could use more oil, so I hope to find what the sticky point is down below.
Amazing to see what 130 years of wear and tear looks like.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
...It looks like I must undo 6 screws on the bottom to access the works where I think it is sticking. I can't simply lift the head out of the frame because the hand crank bracket is also screwed down and I don't want to misalign things if possible. ...
Welcome to Quilting Board. Congratulations on getting a neat machine.

You should be able to get the machine to lift back out of the base with the silver lever on the front of the machine. You will probably have to undo the hand crank from the hand wheel. It looks like it you may have to adjust something that is in the hole in the front of the base, first. A horrible video, but it shows a machine like yours at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ofjg99-4PY and twisting it and moving something in the hole beneath it. It is about 25 seconds into the video. If you click on the settings icon at the bottom of the screen you can slow the video down to see a little better.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Welcome to Quilting Board. Congratulations on getting a neat machine.

You should be able to get the machine to lift back out of the base with the silver lever on the front of the machine. You will probably have to undo the hand crank from the hand wheel. It looks like it you may have to adjust something that is in the hole in the front of the base, first. A horrible video, but it shows a machine like yours at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ofjg99-4PY and twisting it and moving something in the hole beneath it. It is about 25 seconds into the video. If you click on the settings icon at the bottom of the screen you can slow the video down to see a little better.
Oh thank you! That video makes it seem easy but you're right, it's horrible. I will try disconnecting it from the crank first.
I'll have to make some better videos, I have a tripod 🤣