Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wheeler and Wilson machine- Questions

Wheeler and Wilson machine- Questions

I just purchased a Wheeler and Wilson treadle machine last night and will pick it up on Wednesday. So now, the research begins. This machine is probably late 1800s but does anyone know where I can start to search for information about how it works or what it needs if it needs something? It does have the belt, a short length and wide, probably 1".

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I'll post a picture once I get it home.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I just started some searching and have found that this is a Wheeler and Wilson No. 1.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Here is some good info for you.No. 1 machine. The top of the range with silver plated fittings and available in a range of 11 different styles of cabinet work in Rosewood, Black Walnut or Mahogany. http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Wheeler%20and%20Wilson.htm

Neat, congratulations. I was wondering if it was a "curved needle" "Wheeler & Wilson"

According to https://fiddlebase.jimdo.com/america...heeler-wilson/ they changed serial numbers a new set of serial numbers was started in 1876. It also says that the #1 was manufactured from 1852 to 1900.

If memory serves "Woodland Quilts" has a manual for the "Curved Needle" "Wheeler & Wilson"

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-30-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with links
    Janey & John

There's lots of info right here on QB. If you do a search a lot of threads will come up. One of them referenced this site for help https://groups.io/g/Wheeler_and_Wilson-Sewing-Machines/
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

This is a start. Thank you. I do believe it's a curved needle machine. Can't wait to get it on Wednesday.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I have a couple that I couldn't get to work because they were so rusted, but this machine seems to be well oiled. I will have to find a curved needle. That might be impossible. It is a pretty machine..... very unusual.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: remove reference to site of banned member
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

I cannot offer you any information about you machine. My mother had one in the l940's and I learned to sew on it when I was five years old (1942). It had a beautiful cabinet. The treadle mechanism was inside the cabinet. A door opened 180 degrees and formed the support for the top of cabinet which also opened 180 degrees. This was the work surface. The head of the machine lifted up and was secured by the lip of the cabinet. I remember it as being beautiful and have wished many times that I still had it. My mom was anxious for an electric machine and did get a Singer 201. I had that machine for many years until someone stole it. Good luck to you in your search. I will be anxious to see a picture of it.

You will find that the bobbins are nearly as flat as a USA quarter. Mine has the curved needle and the wide belt, also. It is waiting for me to bring it back to life.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

We went and picked up the machine today and I will take a picture tomorrow to show all of you. I have discovered that it was made in 1871 with a serial number of 519.930.

I was looking for a manual a couple of days ago and came across one that was 31 pages long but had so much information. Now, tonight, I've been looking for hours and can't find it again. If any of you come across that site, I sure would appreciate it if you could post that web address. I could sure use it. I was so wrong to think I could find it again.

Okay, good night. I'm excited to work on this next week. I won't be able to tackle it until then. I have lace class tomorrow and have to teach a featherweight class on Friday. Life does get busy, doesn't it?

And, thanks again for all your help.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Here's a link to the curved needle manual pdf:

https://www.woodlandquiltworks.com/w...dle-Manual.pdf

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 04-03-2019 at 09:48 PM.

You are a lifesaver, Jon. Thank you. I have to go to lace class but I'll get the pictures and tell more about it when I return this afternoon.

I did get the belt on last night and the needle bar is moving up and down. It looks like that thin bobbin is there but I have to check today. It is missing the thread guide on the needle bar so I'll have to figure out a way to put something in that hole that will work. And, I do have to find some screws to screw down the plate. Those screws are missing as well. Let's hope those screws aren't like the ones Singer used with a unique thread that you can't find.

Okay, off to class..... I'll check in this afternoon.
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Are you ready for pictures? Here they are.....

As you can see, the feed dogs appear to be bent so I'll have to deal with that. And the thread guide on the needle arm is missing. Gotta figure that out, too.

The bobbin is there though. That's a plus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

--- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com