Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
When is a sewing machine too old >

When is a sewing machine too old

When is a sewing machine too old

Old 05-07-2017, 05:36 PM

The machines I find that have the MOST wear are the very old Singers - treadles and hand-cranks. They were used so much, the gold decals are worn right off the beds! And often the black japanning too, around the needle plates. It's hard to imagine just how much sewing that would have required. The post-war ones don't seem to be nearly as worn, and like you say, a lot of them may be over 60 years old now, but look almost as good as new. I think the quality of the machines stayed high well into the 60s, but North Americans became so well-off, they didn't need to sew their own clothes anymore, though they preserved the old habit of having a machine for another generation.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

never too old.... Made in 1862 Still sews just fine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]572869[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572870[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150304_195301.jpg   20150305_230409.jpg  
Old 05-10-2017, 06:20 PM

What's not being said clearly is that most sewing machines from before the mid-sixties are still viable. They still work and can still be repaired (if parts are available), although most don't require repairs. After the mid-sixties, the quality of the workmanship and materials declined. Few sewing machines from prior to that time need major repairs. Many machines after that time were made with plastics that deteriorate with time. They are expensive to repair, although parts are available for some brands, but not all. During the seventies and eighties, manufacturers also moved to electronic parts (circuit boards). They also deteriorate with time. Repairing them is possible, but not very feasible. Like in computers, the electronic business continues to innovate with faster and smaller components. Every year, there is a new model and last years model becomes obsolete. It's the same with sewing machines.

Of course, you can afford to buy a sewing machine these days. There is usually one on sale on Black Friday for $60.00. That's a heck of a lot less than what you would pay for one of the vintage sewing machines in today's dollars. I found a sales slip in a vintage sewing machine I purchased. They lady bought the machine for $149.00 in 1950 (no sales tax). According to an online Bureau of Labor site, that same sewing machine would cost $1526.13 today. At 8.25% sales tax, that adds $125.00.

So, basically, what everyone is saying is that most machines built prior to the mid to late 60's will never get too old. Those built after that will definitely get too old at some point. What that point is depends on the machine.

bkay
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 AM

I love finding vintage ads for machines I have in my "herd", and looking at the prices. I do similar calculations, bkay, and am always surprised at what an investment people were making into these machines. I guess that hasn't really changed too much though - modern good-quality machines go for over $1,000 too, easy. But from my perspective, it's always a little bit of a trip when I buy a very nice old machine at a thrift shop for $30, and then find out that when it was new it cost someone the equivalent of what I paid for my first car.

Then I think about housing costs of that era, and think about that ratio - what they paid for a sewing machine vs. the price of their home...

No wonder they were so decorated and stylish, and placed into nice cabinets that were posed in prominent positions in the household!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:31 PM

The older machines were so valuable in a household that they were under lock & key. Most vintage machine cabinets and cases have some kind of lock.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:25 AM

Older items like boxes and furniture with drawers or lid usually have a lock, even books could come with a lock and key flap. I'm not sure when we stopped having those? I wish people knew how well some of these sewing machines are made. The commercial side of it have a huge influence on us; new machines, new technology, new models every year; someone makes them and they need to be sold. Someone has to buy them. It's a sort of circle that gets completed all the time and a very strong drive behind it. I wonder how many would keep a model 66 or 201 in regular use if they knew how well they were made and how nice they are to work on.