Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
where is the best place to sell a vintage machine? >

where is the best place to sell a vintage machine?

where is the best place to sell a vintage machine?

Old 08-22-2018, 05:37 PM

Default where is the best place to sell a vintage machine?

New to this forum, looks like a great group.
I am looking to sell an older machine. I told my son if he cleaned it up the proceeds of the sale would go towards his college fund.
Now I am looking for the best forum/site to try to sell it.
Thoughts?
Thanks so Much!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-23-2018 at 02:52 AM. Reason: PM
Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 PM

It's embarrassing how many times a day I check my local listings on Craiglist, Letgo and Offerup. They're not exactly forums. Local quilt clubs may have a keen interest, esp if you have a walking foot attachment.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-23-2018 at 02:53 AM. Reason: to reflect edit of OP
Old 08-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 08-23-2018, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

I've bought machines on Ebay. Welcome to the board!
Old 08-23-2018, 05:33 AM

Facebook market place is another option... but most of us here don't try to sell... hehe.

Looking at the cleaning/servicing posts may help him not destroy a finish or decals if there are any.

Don't post it without a picture. It is very easy to ignore those ads. Multiples are even better. Welcome aboard.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Genifurr View Post
I am looking to sell an older machine. I told my son if he cleaned it up the proceeds of the sale would go towards his college fund.
Thoughts?
You can search ebay for "Sold" items to see what they have actually sold for. You will find that there are many outrageous prices for what they are listing for 'said' machine. I was fortunate to see which machine it is and know it is a somewhat desirable machine, but they also have a weak point in the plastic that they use. I have one that I can't seem to keep in "time" and it does have cracked plastic.

I went back to college as a non-traditional student about twenty years ago. I'm guessing that if they still sell textbooks, that you may only be able to buy one, maybe two used books for what you will probably able to get for the sewing machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I went back to college as a non-traditional student about twenty years ago. I'm guessing that if they still sell textbooks, that you may only be able to buy one, maybe two used books for what you will probably able to get for the sewing machine.
I, also, was a non-trad a couple decades ago. Then, I could pay for tuition and books with a Pell grant. I talked to a friend yesterday in a local "community" college (I don't think they use that term now). One loose-leaf textbook ("to make it cheaper"), with the online access code, was $388! Most clean and functional vintage machines around here sell for $60 to $100 unless they are one of the "collector" machines (FW, Bernina, a few others). My whole collection wouldn't pay for a semester of books!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by RotaryQueen View Post
I, also, was a non-trad a couple decades ago. Then, I could pay for tuition and books with a Pell grant. I talked to a friend yesterday in a local "community" college (I don't think they use that term now). One loose-leaf textbook ("to make it cheaper"), with the online access code, was $388! Most clean and functional vintage machines around here sell for $60 to $100 unless they are one of the "collector" machines (FW, Bernina, a few others). My whole collection wouldn't pay for a semester of books!
I agree. Unless its one of the really desirable machines, it's not going to pay for much towards college.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:59 AM

On Ebay, again, look at what they actually sold for. If it was a "buy it now" item, it doesn't actually go for that price. It usually goes for "the best offer" instead. Ebay doesn't tell you what the actual sell price was. Generally speaking, Ebay prices are higher than local pricing.

I recently sold 3 sewing machines. One that was particularly desirable went right away. The other two took about a month to sell. I sold them on Craig's list. One person checked the freight to ship one of the portable machines, and it was $50.00 to ship it 200 miles by UPS.

bkay
Old 08-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Regarding eBay, you need to set up an account (free to set up) in order to check "completed listings" when you search. Completed listings does show what items actually sold for, but it's subtle. If the list price is *green*, it means the item sold for that price. If the price is green but crossed out, it sold for some unknown best offer price. If the list price is *black*, it means the item was listed for that price but did not actually sell. You can click on individual completed items to get a little more information about the original listing if you need it.

To search for completed item prices, make sure you are logged into eBay, do your search, and then scroll down on the left side until you see "Show Only" and click the box next to "completed items".