Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Where do you all get your vintage parts from? >

Where do you all get your vintage parts from?

Where do you all get your vintage parts from?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I look on ebay for certain parts, otherwise I put out feelers with local sewing machine repair folks or friends that I know have donor machines.
ebay's good for me sometimes. I find often I have to get one piece here, one piece there, then I have to wait 3 weeks for them to arrive, it gets a little frustrating to try to rehab these machines this way. The Sewing Machine places are drying up. The Singer store in Edmonton is closing at the end of September, the other OSMG I deal with is over an hour away, and I know his stock almost as well as he does now, that's how much I've been there.

The other SM repair places around here turn their noses up at Singer, so I'm outta luck there. "Slant shank? You mean for a S.I.N.G.E.R?" *sniffs and sticks nose in the air* "No, we don't carry anything for those." or my favorite, "Singer made junk. Those (doesn't matter which machine I'm asking about) were junk,... clunky old things."

Uhm.. K. I guess ebay here I come?

My kingdom for a good SM repair place near me!

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
You could try Cindy Peters. Her ebay store is Stitches-in-time. She has vintage parts and reproduction. If you want original she may have it.
Check, she's on my list for tomorrow's web searches! Thanks!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 AM

I get mine from Guy Baker at http://www.sewingmachineparts.net/
Very helpful and honest!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 AM

Linda, I forgot to mention Guy!!!! I LOVE dealing with Guy Baker!! He's honest, he cares!! True story:

When I got my Kenmore 84, I was fairly new to vintage machines and messing with machines in general. I theaded it, plugged it in, hit the "gas", and immediately noticed smoke coming from the motor. VISIBLE smoke! ACK!! Unplugged the machine and it sat until the next day when I found Guy's website and had sent him an email requesting information about a new motor for the machine. Within an hour or two, my phone was ringing. (He requests a phone number in your email to him).
Guy proceeded to tell me that if the machine had sat for any length of time, that it was probably dust in the motor and to run the machine for awhile. I expressed concern about fire, and he reassured me that it wasn't going to catch fire, or cause one, that it would simply stop working if it was indeed "burning out". Said it would be smelly for a bit but no worries there, and told me to call him back when it stopped working, and THEN he would talk to me about selling me a motor, but that we really had nothing to talk about until then!

Most sewing machine business people would have sold me the motor without any concern about whether or not the one I had was any good. This motor I had turned out to be a fine, strong motor. The machine is awesome, and I love using it! Guy Baker gets some credit for that, because otherwise I'd have ended up with a gray machine with either a black or white motor on it instead of one that matched.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Linda, I forgot to mention Guy!!!! I LOVE dealing with Guy Baker!! He's honest, he cares!! True story:

When I got my Kenmore 84, I was fairly new to vintage machines and messing with machines in general. I theaded it, plugged it in, hit the "gas", and immediately noticed smoke coming from the motor. VISIBLE smoke! ACK!! Unplugged the machine and it sat until the next day when I found Guy's website and had sent him an email requesting information about a new motor for the machine. Within an hour or two, my phone was ringing. (He requests a phone number in your email to him).
Guy proceeded to tell me that if the machine had sat for any length of time, that it was probably dust in the motor and to run the machine for awhile. I expressed concern about fire, and he reassured me that it wasn't going to catch fire, or cause one, that it would simply stop working if it was indeed "burning out". Said it would be smelly for a bit but no worries there, and told me to call him back when it stopped working, and THEN he would talk to me about selling me a motor, but that we really had nothing to talk about until then!

Most sewing machine business people would have sold me the motor without any concern about whether or not the one I had was any good. This motor I had turned out to be a fine, strong motor. The machine is awesome, and I love using it! Guy Baker gets some credit for that, because otherwise I'd have ended up with a gray machine with either a black or white motor on it instead of one that matched.
Charlee, I love dealing with Guy also and promote him every chance I get. When I got my first treadle, DH contacted him for a new belt. He was a great source of info. on how to get the treadle going and even sent a bunch of free parts when he sent our order. Can't beat that!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 AM

Try to find an OSMG (Old Sewing Machine Guy), they are worth their weight in gold. Be patient because they are hard to find, are generally "quirky" but have lot's of spare parts. The best ones are still working out of their homes. PM me with the 99 parts you need, I may be able to get them for you from my OSMG. Cost of mailing to Canada should not be much if they are light weight.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM

I have bought some Model 66 parts from www.sewingpartsonline.com
for a Singer machine.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM

I love April1930s.com. The feature Featherweights, but see what you can find.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 AM

I didn't exactly forget about this thread, I just forgot to subscribe to it. Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I get mine from Guy Baker at http://www.sewingmachineparts.net/
Very helpful and honest!
Thanks guys! I will definitely get in contact with him when I get a chance to sit at the computer, hopefully tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Try to find an OSMG (Old Sewing Machine Guy), they are worth their weight in gold. Be patient because they are hard to find, are generally "quirky" but have lot's of spare parts. The best ones are still working out of their homes. PM me with the 99 parts you need, I may be able to get them for you from my OSMG. Cost of mailing to Canada should not be much if they are light weight.
That's the problem. The two OSMGs I've been dealing with are either out of parts for me, or moving. I hope it wasn't something I said.

I'll shoot you a PM. I think I have most of the (currently required) parts covered but for a few odds and ends now. I appreciate the help

Originally Posted by bobbar View Post
I have bought some Model 66 parts from www.sewingpartsonline.com
for a Singer machine.
Looked like all new when I hit there today,.. looks like a good one if sew-classic doesn't have what I need though. The problem with some of the new (non-Singer) parts is that they don't always fit, or look quite right (like the "flat" finishes, instead of the nickel plate. And of course, some parts, like face plates are simply not available. But thanks for the recommendation for another trustworthy place to shop for the consumables.

Originally Posted by Quilts and Watercolors 4 Me View Post
I love April1930s.com. The feature Featherweights, but see what you can find.
I do a lot of window shopping there. She's got a lot of toys, .. uhm,.. items I'd love but are too rich for my blood. Good to know she's good to deal with too.