White 628 Tension Unit?

Old 07-05-2021, 07:35 PM

Default White 628 Tension Unit?

Working through inherited white 628 and thinking that the tension unit is in need of maintenance or replacement. The thread is very hard to pass through on any setting other that 1 or so. The tension disks look to have some grunge built up on the edges but based on the age I presume there could be wear moving toward the insides (away from the edges) of the disks

Would anyone have suggestions and perhaps a cross reference to other tension assemblies that might restore the function?
Old 07-06-2021, 06:38 AM

May I suggest, just cleaning the tension discs.. If you are reluctant to take the assembly apart, Slide a piece of yard between the discs and use it like a very delicate file and try to cover all the surface area. Think flossing.

Welcome aboard,
Old 07-06-2021, 06:43 AM

I'll give cleaning a try but I thought the age of the tensioner might account for wear.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:19 AM

If the cleaning doesn't work, you may have to take it apart. I have had a dozen or more machines where the tension assembly was taken apart and not reassembled correctly. I tried searching for a manual for your machine as sometimes the manual will have an exploded diagram of the tension assembly, no luck. From pictures of your machine I looked at the assembly does not appear too complicated, so taking it apart and reassembling correctly is not insurmountable.

Also, a picture would help. Here are Janey's instructions for posting pictures:

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:44 AM

If they were just wearing out, it would be hard to get any tension at all. You are getting too much which, to me, would mean it's either dirty and sticky or the tension release mechanism is not working correctly.

On the back side of the tension assembly is "little doohickey" that engages the tension once the presser foot is lowered. Look inside the "nose" of the machine and raise the presser foot and watch what happens (the mechanism should go in and out as you raise and lower the presser foot). If it isn't moving, put a drop of oil on it and raise and lower the presser foot until it moves back and forth freely. If that is the problem, you will notice a change immediately.

Usually, cleaning the disks solves lots of problems. Just use a metal polish. I usually use Brasso, which works well. There may be better products. I don't know.

If you decide it needs cleaning, be careful to take photos of it as you take it apart. The photos should include which direction each piece is faced. Getting them out of order or one turned the wrong way and the tension won't work, which Joe suggested might be the problem.

bkay
Old 07-06-2021, 12:06 PM

Joe,
Thanks for that.
The only manual that I found was actually on the Singer site but it is more of a user's manual and rudimentary at that, so it didn't get into any disassembly. It also does not get into any specific setting values, just where settings occur. It's definitely the machine though.
I'll try to get a meaningful picture.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:14 PM

bKay,
Looking at the disks I think it needs disassembly to clean them but it's worth a try. Anyways, who knows what other crud is builtup in there because I doubt that it was ever serviced since new. Grandmother was a farm girl and wasn't one to throw money around. It's been siting idle in my house since 1983 and I can only recall using it with her around 1955.

I think with camera in hand it's do-able.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:47 AM

JoeJr
Picture as suggested
Attached Thumbnails img_8622.jpg  
Old 07-10-2021, 11:47 AM

Are you planning on taking apart the tension assembly? From your picture I would dial it out all the way, push in the numbered dial from its edges, then unscrew the thumb nut the rest of the way, there is likely a little pin on the underside of the thumb nut that locks it into the numbered dial. If the thumb nut does stop when you back it out, then there is likely a small washer underneath with a little bent finger on it, you have to pay close attention to which way the finger bends. You'll see how the discs come off. This is usually sufficient for most cleaning

Usually to remove the spring you have to remove the whole assembly, or unscrew the main post. There may be a set screw on either side of the assembly holding in an internal housing, or the main post may screw into the housing cast into the body. This gets a little trickier if you remove it because the check spring is under some tension and it has to be put together again with the right amount of tension, it can't just float loosely.

As noted above, take lots of pictures as you go.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr
Are you planning on taking apart the tension assembly? .
Thanks for that detailed description.
As apparent from the picture, the spring has a bit of rust on it which would not indicate good things it so if I find a spring it might be prudent to bite the bullet and try a replacement but so far exact parts have been illusive. I think I'd not break it all the way down without knowing the part is available.

Last edited by Snap; 07-10-2021 at 12:56 PM.