White model 764

Old 09-05-2020, 03:29 AM

Default White model 764

Hello. I just purchased a White model 764 sewing machine. I believe it may also be sometimes called a White Fair Lady. Does anyone else on this Board have one? Do you like it? What have you discovered to be some of its quirks? I have several vintage Singers and love those - is the White at all comparable? Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:49 PM

Is this the machine? I don't have this one yet, my sister way up north just picked it up for me, but I can't wait to see it in person, as I see nothing but "vintage sewing machine" when I look at it, plus I'm a little "Singered out" lately.

The other White I have, a Model 65, maybe from the same era, is as smooth as any of the other Singers I have, and sews very quietly.

Please post a picture of yours.
Attached Thumbnails 00x0x_gec83n3fxnl_0ci0t2_600x450.jpg  
Old 09-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Hi, Joe. Yes, that is the machine. When I saw the White 764, I was attracted to its shape because it looks so different from my Singers. I wanted a mechanical (non-computerized) machine with a "straight" (not slant needle) and the White 764 fit the bill. I've done an internet search on the White 764, but haven't been about to find much information on it - just a couple of YouTube demos.

Please let me know how you like yours when you receive it. The one I bought is being shipped and should be here next Friday. Like you, I can't wait to see it in person. I'm looking forward to trying it out too.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Just an FYI - a manual for the White 764 can be found at https://www.singer.com/support particularly https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-se...hite-764-x.pdf

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 09-06-2020, 03:50 AM

Thanks, Janey. I already have a manual. I was looking more for people's reviews about the machine.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:27 AM

It's here! My "new" White 764 came the other day and it's beautiful. I haven't been able to find too many articles about the machine, but I did find a very good YouTube video. He explains the machine functions, shows how to thread it, and even provides a brief history about the White Sewing Machine Company. Here's the link to the YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyN...ex=102&t=3149s

Attached Thumbnails dscn6552-qbsize.jpg  
Old 11-18-2020, 11:27 AM

I picked up my White 764 about a month ago, and finally made my way to working on it. It took some heat and oil, no surprise, to get things moving, and the reverse mechanism really gave me some fits, but it finally loosened up and worked freely.

I will admit to a little disappointment initially as I, naively perhaps, expected it to be as smooth and quiet as my straight stitch no frills Model 65, but I'm happy with it.

About 2 weeks after I picked this up in Minneapolis, one showed up locally for the same price...next time I see a machine I want I think I'll wait.

Bonnie thanks for the video and Janey thanks for the manual, both very helpful to getting this up and running.
Attached Thumbnails img_20201118_131508598_hdr.jpg