Why Featherweights?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 AM

A "workhorse" for sure........a good reliable "straight stitch". Weighs about 7 lbs so is easy to transport......nothing involved in setting it up.....and maintain it by self.......and it's pretty too! Mine was totally free to me so that made it even better......it was given to my daughter by a relative of her husband who's Aunt had died. The neice didn't sew, knew my daughter did so asked her husband if he would like to take it. My daughter did not know anything about a featherweight and had it in her attic. One day we were sluething a quilt shop when I saw one there and was saying how much I wished I had one. We went home and later that day, I found a perfect little machine at my feet, complete with case (in excellent condition). I researched it and it was born the same year as me.....1938. It is my pride and joy and I use it at least once a week at a charity sew in that I participate in.......I was sooooooooo fortunate.... :D
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I've ever showed my FW to DH. I remember telling him how happy I was to find one. I need to let him know it goes to DGD if anything happens.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 AM

I have a Featherweight and a heavy duty machine.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Dix

Originally Posted by Tippy
Yes, they're cute.. but I think for those that "go" to piece at classes or group functions, workshops, etc. they are the lightest portable with the best straight stitch for traveling. They are little workhorses and that's why there are so many still around. A real quality machine.
Amen, Tippy! All the quilters in our 20 member group at church either has one or is looking for one!! I would love to have a white or celery green, but my black one is wonderful.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter
Dumb question - but what's the deal with Featherweights? Why are they so sought after?
I just got a Featherweight recently (saw it on e-bay and it was manufactured on my exact birth date). I don't even shop on e-bay but for some reason that night I got on and looked up featherweights. It was an omen so I got it. The man I bought from refurbishes them....cleans them up etc. I pulled it out of it's box, plugged it in, and off it went!! I find that it is quiet and stitches the most beautiful straight stitch I have ever seen. My other machine is a Janome but now I like my featherweight for piecing. My quarter inch Janome foot fits on my featherweight. Yes they are cute but they also are a wonderful machine!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 AM

I love mine.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 AM

They are cute and quiet. They have the nicest straight stitch. It makes me smile!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter
Dumb question - but what's the deal with Featherweights? Why are they so sought after?
http://www.planetpatchwork.com/fweight.htm
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

I would love to buy a Featherweight. What should I look for? I know many times they will advertise them as antique singer sewing machine, so how can I be sure it is a Featherweight? Does it say that anywhere on the machine? Is there a specific set of numbers or letters for the model that would tell me it is a featherweight? I see two different model numbers sometimes: 221 and 222. Does anyone know the difference?

Can I use something like a walking foot or other feet on a Featherweight? I love the stitch it makes and would really like to try quilting pieces using it.

Diane
Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dmackey
I would love to buy a Featherweight. What should I look for? I know many times they will advertise them as antique singer sewing machine, so how can I be sure it is a Featherweight? Does it say that anywhere on the machine? Is there a specific set of numbers or letters for the model that would tell me it is a featherweight? I see two different model numbers sometimes: 221 and 222. Does anyone know the difference?

Can I use something like a walking foot or other feet on a Featherweight? I love the stitch it makes and would really like to try quilting pieces using it.

Diane
As far as I know you can't use a walking foot on them. They are strictly straight stitch machines and you can not drop the feed dogs as far as I know. Maybe someone else has an answer.