Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Why two threaded spool pin holes on a 201? Revisited. >

Why two threaded spool pin holes on a 201? Revisited.

Why two threaded spool pin holes on a 201? Revisited.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Default Why two threaded spool pin holes on a 201? Revisited.

Some days ago I asked the question in the subject line in another thread. That thread got sidelined right quick so I thought I'd revisit the subject with some pics.

I've seen 201s with the spool pin in the middle of a metal bracket which was attached to the top of the machine with two screws. Mine has no bracket and only one pin threaded into the top of the machine.
Here is a pic of my 210-2 and also a pic of a different one. You can see the difference in the spool pins right off.
I took a really good look at mine and there is not two threaded holes. The front round place is a stamped hole plug and the rear is a machined and threaded bushing for the spool pin.
On the machine in the second pic, there is the bracket I've seen before, and it's held on by two screws.
So I'm going to jump to a conclusion that Singer made a change to the machines somewhere along the line, eliminating the shiny spool pin bracket and just putting in a threaded pin.

Strange thing is, I like the shiny bracket set up.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails 210-2-.jpg   201-cabinet-b.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 AM

Joe it would be interesting to compare the serial numbers to see the difference in manufacture dates.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM

It would, but in the photos I have the serial number isn't readable.

Joe
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM

When I read your first post about this, I had NO idea what you were referring to 'cause mine has the bracket. My 201-2 was my great aunt's & was made in 1938. The bracket has oil holes on both sides of the spool pin. I absolutely love that machine. It has the most perfect straight stitch I've ever seen...& sews so smoothly & quietly!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
When I read your first post about this, I had NO idea what you were referring to 'cause mine has the bracket. My 201-2 was my great aunt's & was made in 1938. The bracket has oil holes on both sides of the spool pin. I absolutely love that machine. It has the most perfect straight stitch I've ever seen...& sews so smoothly & quietly!
path49,
How is the spool pin plate attached?
On my machine there is an oil hole just forward of the raised round area, then the raised round area with a hole all the way through, then an oil hole on the other side of the spool pin.

Joe
Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM

There's nothing on the outside holding it on. So I opened the round plate on the back & tried to see. I can't see way up there so, I tried to feel it! Those same 2 holes that are on your machine are under that bracket...at either end. But there's nothing there holding it either. Directly under my spool pin there's a deep indentation inside...about 1/2" across. Maybe the spool pin itself is holding it down. PLUS, the oil hole on the right side of the bracket kinda curves into the oil hole. I'm guessing that the spool pin holds it down & the way the hole in the bracket curves into the oil hole keeps it in place. My spool pin is to tight to loosen to see for sure.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM

path49,

Thanks for looking. Sounds like Singer simplified their design at some point.

Joe