Wilcox and gibb needle nut.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:00 AM

Exclamation Wilcox and gibb needle nut.

Wilcox and Gibb I have enherited my great grandmas chain stitch machine...however ...the needle bar nut seems to have had its hexagonal shape worn down to a circle...not that I have the hexagonal wrench...but I am wondering how I can remove it and if I do will I be able to find a replacement nut? My gran would have had a million different spare nuts in match boxes but I'm damned if I didn't throw those out not knowing what in heaven they were for. So it may be gone in a bin. Or it may be on the thing but worn so badly away it has become a circle. Anyway if anyone can help I'd much appreocate it. Tanks.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:50 AM

Welcome. Even though I do have a Willcox & Gibbs, I'm not sure I can help. I have a bunch of small open end wrenches, but do not remember which size is for the nut. If memory serves correctly, it is a tapered nut.

After oiling the nut from the top, I would be tempted to put a piece of rubber (like bicycle tire tube) around the nut and use a small pair of pliers or vice grips to try to remove it. Once off, I would (or get someone else to, LOL) file some sides on it, so that a wrench could be used. There are some tools to remove rounded bolts, but don't know if they would go small enough or convenient to use on a sewing machine.

Perhaps a picture would help and maybe some might have some ideas and correct dimensions.
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-05-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:25 AM

Default Did the picture send?

OK I have attempted to post a picture..took me a while to find the red reply so thanks for that tip or I'd never have found it. I'm a bit afraid to try taking it off until I'm sure that its not part of it...maybe it's the part the but goes on...not sure. Anyway I am on my phone so I am hoping the picture has worked...don't have a computer IMA afraid. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. Not many people have or know about these machines even though they were once so popular!
Old 04-05-2021, 06:32 AM

Nope, didn't come though. Is the file size smaller than 2MB? Did you scroll over to the far right of the screen to click on the Upload button?

I need to go to work, but will check during lunch to see if you were able to post pictures.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:36 AM

Default Photo do magic!!

I think it may have worked this time. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails needle-29%7E4.jpg  
Old 04-05-2021, 06:48 AM

Default Photo do magic!!

Old 04-05-2021, 06:50 AM

No rush its been in the bank for 20 years so I must be patient with it lol! Although I am dying to see it make a stitch. !! I have a treadle singer as well also my great grannies...its all very exciting.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Coxgibbsinger View Post
Yes, that worked. I thought that was what you were referring to. It looks like it has been used a few times without a wrench and without covering the teeth of a pair of pliers. There isn't much left to file to make it work with a wrench. I'm not sure what I would do in such a case.

I know someone that has more than one Willcox & Gibbs. I'll contact him and see if he has any ideas.

Also this takes a very special needle. If you are sewing regular cotton fabric you will probably want a "Nm 90/14" size needle. Groz/Breckert makes an equivalent. This link is for larger and intended more for the more industrial machines, rather than domestic sewing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Willcox-...wAAOSwbF1aKGLV

It warms my heart when people get inherited machines back into service.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:38 AM

Alas my machine is 140 miles away in a museum right now, but I can send a pic of the wrench made to fit it. but no Wrench isn't home either...
Attached Thumbnails wilcox-aznd-gibbas-bkay-accessoires.-b.jpg   rita-leon-wilcox-grbbs-b.jpg  
Old 04-05-2021, 02:05 PM

Default W&G Needle nut.

Janey gave me a call concerning your problem. From the picture you posted I don't think the nut that is there is really a W&G needle bar nut. I can't imaging a real W&G nut getting that bad. The problem is that the original nut was actually tapered and it probably is impossible to replace. It is not a common nut and I doubt that your granny really had any spares that would have fit. That is probably why things look a bit strange down there because someone tried to come up with a fix for a lost nut. I will try and look at some of my W&G machines and see if I can make a suggestion. In the mean time I would suggest that you try soaking the nut that is there with kerosene and let it set a couple of days to try and make the nut(?) that is there a little easier to remove. Will try and send you another post in a day or two.