Wizard Machine

Old 07-19-2016, 07:50 AM

Default Wizard Machine

Hi! My sister was given a Wizard sewing machine. It does say "Made in Japan" She was looking for feedback from anyone concerning this machine. I've researched it a bit, and it appears to be from the 50's. The serial number is 3KC 8844. Of course it needs work, but she is hoping to get it running. Missing the foot pedal and light socket. Trying to find a manual on it as well. I love getting an old machine working again! Any comments would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails 13697128_1206132806077135_6561812766414653834_n.jpg   13754422_1206132826077133_271652367151574551_n.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 08:02 AM

Sorry, no help but I just had to reply. I opened this thread thinking it was going to be a wish thread -- if you could have a wizard inside your machine, what would s/he do? But then I saw your pic -- gorgeous machine, by the way -- and thought "sewing machine, candy necklaces & a nearly empty bottle of rum: this lady is my kind of quilter!"

Hope someone else knows something about your machine. You might also try asking in the Vintage Machines forum. There seem to be people who know something about just about every kind of machine ever made there.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:17 AM

Thanks Bree123!!!! And you can see her crochet bag in the back of machine as well! Candy was for her granddaughter, and empty rum...well, we just returned from a cruise and we are trying to recreate a drink from Roatan, Honduras called "Monkey LaLa" Oh la la! Wonderful drink! Thanks for responding!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 AM

Somewhere on the base (probably have to look underneath) there should be a JA number - usually molded into the body. That number will usually help figure out who made the machine. There were several Japanese manufacturers that made machines under a variety of names for export to the US. We all depend on lists put together by enthusiasts to know which number corresponds to which manufacturer, and the lists aren't complete so you might have a mystery machine.

A lot of the Japanese zig-zag machines are VERY well made. Regardless of the manufacturer, you probably have a good quality machine on your hands. Plus it looks cool.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

You should have maybe posted your thread here in this sub forum:

"For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts"
Post here to share your passion for vintage and antique sewing machines, tools and gadgets.
Exchange information and post your photos,

That the section where you will find the most help on older sewing machines.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM

Thanks ManiacQuilter2! I originally thought I had...(my mistake) when I noticed and posted there as well! Thanks!
Old 08-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meliss View Post
I want to learn how to operate this machine but someone, gasp, CUT the cable off the pedal, probably unintentionally, it might have been chopped off by locking it into the sewing table the machine is so heavy it's conceivable. The owner was very careful to keep all the buttons, knobs, accessories in little containers and even a little antique box full of needles. So cool.

I need to find the pedal online, I hope I can find one.
Welcome Meliss. Great discovery.

You can find the cord block that can be rewired for the foot control at http://shop.sew-classic.com/Cord-Set...143-SCE143.htm

Some of the bits might belong to the machine originally in that cabinet. As mentioned in the other thread, the Wizard is a left homing machine - meaning that when it straight stitches the stitches are formed on the left side of the needle plate. The needles may or may not work. I got some in a box like that but they had a round shank and different length. If you should try the attachments, set on straight stitch and turn the hand wheel slowly to make sure the needle clears the hole.

Have fun with your new discovery and sewing endeavors.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:08 AM

Here is a pic of my Wizard. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...53-556169.html

Meliss, If I am messing with a machine that has dangerous wiring and there is ANY chance of someone plugging it in, I will cut the cord, but save the ends. Highly unlikely that merely shutting a cabinet would have cut it.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 PM

This looks just like my mother's Wizard except hers was straight stitch and in a cabinet. Wonderful machine. I wish I had it or one just like it.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the link Leonf, I can definitely use that. I suppose cutting the cord for safety reasons makes a lot of sense. Your machine looks just like mine.

Botanicat, I was considering selling it since I'm not really good at sewing and I'm not sure how much I would use the machine. Maybe it's too advanced for me? I would like it to be used by somebody who knows what they're doing rather than have it sit here collecting dust. I have my cheapy little singer from Target that I barely use for hemming. Realistically, I don't think I will be using this fancy vintage machine but I'm going to buy the new cord and then see if it works or if there's anything wrong with it. If I can't figure it out I would like to sell it. If you're in the Philadelphia region let me know and I'll let you know when it's up for sale.

Sorry, I wasn't getting notifications to the forums because I didn't click the thread notification button before so I'm late in replying.