Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
was this worth $30.00 ? Any thing you can tell me???? >

was this worth $30.00 ? Any thing you can tell me????

was this worth $30.00 ? Any thing you can tell me????

Old 07-07-2015, 08:13 AM

She's a beauty! Have fun getting her working well again. Most likely cleaning and oiling will do the trick.

Last edited by mom-6; 07-07-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 AM

She is very nice!! I'm sure you will have fun with her!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM

I have the same machine only mine is a treadle. I lost the treadle when my house flooded in Superstorm Sandy but I was able to save the machine. It really is a good machine. Enjoy it.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:58 PM

nice machine ....what you name her?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 PM

What a beauty. I do hope you try to clean her up yourself. Just take lots and lots of pictures of each step you take so you know exactly how to put it back together and what looked like what. A mistake I made was not enough pics. Better to take way more than you need then not enough.
Get the tools together ahead of time for cleaning, order what on line what you can't find in the store and wait until you have it all lined up. Another mistake I made, and ended up taking things apart and putting them back together multiple times. Read the threads on cleaning and refinishing to know what stuff you need. It sure is beautiful and hope with a little elbow grease you will be pleased you spent every penny.
I'm a total new be, and have made more mistakes than what I care to admit. I hope this post will keep you from making the same.
Oh.... be conservative in your efforts... there were some things I probably should have not tried to mess with... like the motor since mine ran well. I don't know what kind your has...or is it tredle? But anyway, I took apart more than what I needed to. I think it was good I checked the brushes and wicks, but I think since it was running, I would have been fine to have not taken the motor cap completely off and had a look see. I could have damaged it getting oil on the motor. Luckily I didn't...but I didn't have a clue to not get grease and oil on the motor parts where it doesn't belong, until after I opened it.

Last edited by RebeccaG; 07-09-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 PM

You were right about cleaning it. Have found that cleaning and oiling everything that moves corrects many things. Sew-Classic.com had the new, solid state controllers that are light and no moving parts. They don't have the old, resistors set in ceramic bases that have nichrome wires wound therein. Best money I ever spent. ISMACS.com has manuals for many machines. Don't know about Domestic though. Have never seen them on Ebay. I bet Cathy has one or knows about the threading. Most are similar, except the left to right and right to left aspect. The flat side of the needle could go a different way. One of the QB experts can help there. It is a lovely machine and the price was low. Good job.