Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Would I be crazy

Would I be crazy

Would I be crazy to trade a perfect featherweight for a perfect 15-91 clone if I could find what I want?

I would want it to be 40-50's model
    in a color, preferably pink

I keep going back and forth in my mind...

I think that anyone who says that you are crazy for doing ANYTHING that makes you happy is being a goof...

Go for it!

I don't think that you would be crazy, but I love my FW and would first trade my Viking....but then again I have 6 machines. I guess I am not any help....for I am a machine hoarder!

I'm trying to be a machine gourmet and a 15-91 is the last thing on my wish list.
    I use all my machines but the featherweight I just don't care for, 2 small for me. But cute. Very cute.

I'd suggest selling the FW. You can probably buy the perfect 15 for less than the cost of a perfect FW.

Blog Entries
    I highly recommend the 201! My 15 class just doesn't seem to compare to it...but it just could be my machine. I agree with the earlier post, do what makes you happy!

Quote Originally Posted by vanginney View Post
    I highly recommend the 201! My 15 class just doesn't seem to compare to it...but it just could be my machine. I agree with the earlier post, do what makes you happy!
    I so agree!

I'd go for $200-300 plus the Clone. There both excellent, the FW more portable and much more valuable. I could be underestimating the allure of pink though.

Jon

I would definitely sell the FW and buy a clone, if that's what you want to do. I have 2 FWs and love them, so I wouldn't consider getting rid of them. That said, I also have a pink Atlas that I love, as well as a baby blue Free Westinghouse. I paid $30 for the Atlas, so I sure wouldn't trade a FW for a clone unless some cash was involved!

Quote Originally Posted by vanginney View Post
    I highly recommend the 201! My 15 class just doesn't seem to compare to it...but it just could be my machine.
    One of the many things I like about the 15 clone is you can spot them a mile off regardless of what the seller calls them.
    Talk to me about the 201, what makes it special and unique? how would I know I was looking at one?

I will just show you some sites.
    http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm
    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx
    http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-machines.html

and I could go on and on. My personal reasons: the large harp for quilting. The trouble-free potted motor. The tension dial on the front(one thing I hate about class 15s). Negatives: don't drop feed dogs, I have to cover mine to FMQ.

however, I do have a pink Atlas, a pink Monarch, and a blue Remington for when I want color(not to mention the repaints). The pink Atlas is my favorite- it has the tension dials in front, and a handy knob to drop the feed dogs. The others are class-15 clones.
    Most of the japanese mid-century machines drop feed dogs and have front tension dials. That must by why I have 9 of them- it is my favorite configuration.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

15 clones are literally everywhere. Sell the FW and search out the perfect 15. Don't trade, you'll do yourself a disservice.

ETA. I don't like the 201 for FMQ. It can do it but because it has the smaller 66 drop in bobbin you have more bobbin changes and the thread path has to "turn a corner" because of the drop in orientation so you may end up with more tension issues and eyelashes. 15 clones are straight bobbin to needle.
    Last edited by Mitch's mom; 01-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.

I think you should keep the featherweight. The 15's are so abundant and inexpensive, in great condition, that you can have your cake and eat it too. An "excellent" quality 15 can be had for 25-100 if you search hard and are patient.

Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    I think you should keep the featherweight. The 15's are so abundant and inexpensive, in great condition, that you can have your cake and eat it too. An "excellent" quality 15 can be had for 25-100 if you search hard and are patient.
    I agree totally!

Blog Entries
    I have a 15-91 that I LOVE for piecing and FMQ'ing! The feed dogs drop and it has a large harp space. Mine was given to me but I see clones often for $30 - $75. It would be a shame to trade your FW for that without getting some $$ also. What about just saving some $$ for a while and look for a nice, but inexpensive clone or 15-91?
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I'm a lazy bum is why I thought a straight trade might be the thing for me
    but you all are right, they are miles apart in value.
    There is a cranberry 15 on ebay right now, so delicious, but someone has dropped a hammer or something on the top and took a big nick out of the paint.
    Being the aforementioned lazy bum, I don't want to have to do any work on my machines.

I'll heed your advice and continue the search, and thank you for the links to the 201. Not for me, but looks like a great machine.
    Sharyn

Perhaps someone on the Board has a nice working pink clone for you? Good Luck.

Jon

Blog Entries
    Thought of this post when I saw this today!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIMBELS-DELU...-/110999196237

I know, that is the one I mentioned above. A really lovely color.
    I used to say pink was my least favorite color, but I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011 and now pink makes me feel safe. Or Something Safe is as good a word as any.
    I've seen a few other 15 colors that made my heart go pittypat, but not when I had cash in hand.

I'd probably be happy with my featherweight if it were painted but the people I've seen doing it want more than the machine is worth. I know what my time is worth so I'm not crabbing about the price, it is just more than I'd be willing to pay.

The hunt is part of the fun though isn't it?

I just can't give up my FW's for anything!

Yes, this!

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I'd suggest selling the FW. You can probably buy the perfect 15 for less than the cost of a perfect FW.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I so agree!
    I love my 201k treadle! Except when I want to do FM quilting, that's the 15-90's job. I love my FW, but use it mostly when I go to quilting bee.
    Sharon

I'm not advocating anyone else give up their featherweight
    We each weigh our priorities in different ways~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    I will just show you some sites.
    http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm
    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx
    http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-machines.html

and I could go on and on. My personal reasons: the large harp for quilting. The trouble-free potted motor. The tension dial on the front(one thing I hate about class 15s). Negatives: don't drop feed dogs, I have to cover mine to FMQ.

however, I do have a pink Atlas, a pink Monarch, and a blue Remington for when I want color(not to mention the repaints). The pink Atlas is my favorite- it has the tension dials in front, and a handy knob to drop the feed dogs. The others are class-15 clones.
    Most of the japanese mid-century machines drop feed dogs and have front tension dials. That must by why I have 9 of them- it is my favorite configuration.
    Hi Makitmama, You can drop the feed dogs on the 201. There's a screw underneath that you turn to lower them. I haven't tried to FMQ yet, but saw this in my book. Bobbie