Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which would you choose?

Which would you choose?

I have an opportunity to purchase either a older antique Singer in a wooden case (sorry I don't know the model number or anything) or an older Necchi automatic Supernova Ultra in a sewing cabinet. They are priced about the same so help me out. Which would be a better buy? Thanks.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    All depends on condition of both and which would you use more. Photos would be nice!

I don't know how to post photos. I'm going to try to find some directions on how to do that and then I will try to get some on here. Both seem to be in fair condition.

Sorry, I don't see a framed tree icon to upload pics.

Quote Originally Posted by texas8823 View Post
    I don't know how to post photos. I'm going to try to find some directions on how to do that and then I will try to get some on here. Both seem to be in fair condition.
    Name:  QB Image part 1.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  QB Image part 2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  32.1 KB

To me, the Necchi is a lot more versatile, and would likely be my choice. Pictures of condition and extras, along with price may cause me to change my mind.
    Mark

Ok, hope this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are both priced at $75. Is that a good deal?

I would get the Necchi, if it runs like butter, as the singer has no reverse and the wiring looks tricky. I have many vintage sewing machines and most are singer but in this case I would get the Necchi. I assume you want it to sew on?

I have an opportunity to purchase either a older antique Singer in a wooden case (sorry I don't know the model number or anything) or an older Necchi automatic Supernova Ultra in a sewing cabinet. They are priced about the same so help me out. Which would be a better buy? Thanks.
    Anna Quilts

For our area that would not be a good deal but it might be where the poster is.

They are both priced at $75. Is that a good deal?
    How about this beauty-

http://odessa.craigslist.org/hsh/4040232382.html

or if you can make it to Lubbock TX

It looks like a Singer 401 in cabinet for $50

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/ard/4060426303.html

I have several of both these machines. the singer 301 is the big sister of the Feather Weight and they are highly sought after. You can take this machine along as it is not very heavy. It only does straight stitch and reverse. The singer 401 is a work horse and it is a nice cabinet. It is not anything you would take to class. If it work it is a steal for $50. It does everything from purse to quilts. I have heard it is not the best machine to do the actual quilting on. this is my DDs go to machine for purses etc. Maybe you can get both?
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 09-17-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Anna Quilts

Normally I'm a Singer person, but I would choose the Necci.

The Singer 66 is not one of my favorites Singers ... nothing wrong with it, but it's not very versitile and that one is in only fair condition and probably a $40 value tops.

I have no idea of the value of Necci ... but if it works and it comes with the cabinet, $100 is probably at the high end of fair.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Thanks everyone for your input. Boy would I LOVE to have the one in Lubbock but that's a few hours away. Might be well worth the trip tho. Thanks again. And I DID learn to post pics if nothing else.

Which would be a better buy? Thanks.
    The Necchi. It will sew as well as the 66 and has ZZ and a cabinet.
    Ron in NW MO

Quote Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
    The Necchi. It will sew as well as the 66 and has ZZ and a cabinet.
    I'd also choose the Necchi. Great reputation and all the things Ron mentioned.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

I'm not crazy about blonde cabinets, but I would probably get the Necchi. If the drawers have some Necchi goodies hiding in them, that would be ideal.
    Mark

The pink Necchi, for the same reasons Anna gave. It looks like it's in really good shape.

The pink Necchi, for the same reasons Anna gave. It looks like it's in really good shape, and is a really cool color. I think a better Singer is likely to come along soon enough if you want one of each. Not that you do; just sayin'.

I would choose a Necchi over a tired Singer. The Necchi's were made to tighter tolerances so they will in theory last longer with good care.

Sigh... A Singer 301 Longbed. I'm still hunting one close to me!

Blog Entries
    All of my vintage machines are Singer, but I would buy the Necchi in the cabinet. Those old Singers in the wood cases are beautiful and sew well, but unless you have a cabinet to install it in, it is a real pain to lift it up and down off a table to sew. Necchi is a great machine, also. Around here, $75 would be a great price!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I hope you got the Necchi!!

One because its pink and two because it's a NECCHI!!
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

I absolutely love Red Eyes' and would buy that one just to look at. I don't even bother sewing on these machines, they are just eye candy for me.

If you where choosing between the Necchi and a Singer 401 (or maybe even a 201) I'd say "Singer" but NOT for an older 66.

75$ is too much for the Singer, IMO, but right for the Necchi. You can turn the plate of the Necchi to get a smaller hole for SS or a larger one for ZZ; if you quilt AND sew clothing, it`s very convenient.

I would go for the Necchi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast