Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
YEA!! I picked up a nice pretty 1948 Featherweigt, but it is catching >

YEA!! I picked up a nice pretty 1948 Featherweigt, but it is catching

YEA!! I picked up a nice pretty 1948 Featherweigt, but it is catching

Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Default YEA!! I picked up a nice pretty 1948 Featherweigt, but it is catching

on the bobbin casing. I have taken her apart and oiled her up.

The top thread it catching on the inside bobbin casing. It seems to be catching on the inside hook. I have not taken the whole casing off yet.. Do I need to?

I can't get one of the top screws off the top face plate. I will have to wait until hubby gets home.
but I did use my tweezers and pull out a bunch of fluff. It is reality clean otherwise.

Ohh and I have the instruction book and it says to oil the motor? Do I need to find a tube of oil to squirt in there?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM

NO do not put oil in the motor. Use only lube for the motor. Some use only Singer lube and others use Triflow lube.

Try putting a drop of sewing machine oil on the stuck screw and let it set till hubby comes home. You can use a hair dryer to warm it up after it sits for awhile. It might help loosen the screw. Good luck with your new baby.

Last edited by Caroline S; 07-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM

ohh shoot..ment to say lube not oil for the motor. I will have to look into finding some.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM

I have 5 FW in my studio right now waiting for my second white one to arrive. It would cost me at least $450.00 to have all of them serviced. So the best thing I got after my FW's is the double DVD those fantastic featherweights. The first time I watched it it made me feel like, "hay I can do this", I am so not good at things like this, but David makes every so simple, and so clear, and repeats like where to oil spots. For me this DVD is a must have, he also has a book which is on my next order list, it has all the info that is on the DVDs, there is also a part on how to care for the 221's big sister the 301. I will take the DVD with me along with computer to the retreat I am going on in Sept, just in case I have a problem with my machine. wouldn't be with out it now, I highly recommend it. Makes me feel safe using my machines, :-)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Ditto, good advice....
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM

David McCallum's DVDs are the best. Check out his website, because he is up in your neck of the woods, either Oregon or Washington. Nova Montgomery has full color laminated pictures showing all the oiling and lubricating points.

You might try putting a drop or two of kerosene on the screw. It will dissolve any old oil on the screw but it won't hurt the machine.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM

I'm not help with fixing it but I wanted to congratulate you on your featherweight
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Congrats on your FW! Can't help with the problem, though...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 AM

When you work on FeatherWeights or any of the older Singers, do not over think the situation. These machines are simple.

Joe
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 AM

My 301 has some BC thread-catching problems too. Curious to know the solution. Thanks for the information about the DVD...next month's budget purchase, I think! Congratulations on your FW!