Zig-zag featherweight

Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM

Default Zig-zag featherweight

is there such a thing as a featherweight that can zig zag? someone on another site posted her's zigs and zags. lol!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm... I can't imagine it. Mine is straight stitch only, or so I thought. I love piecing on mine.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I believe there is an attachment that can make it zig zag but I think it moves the fabric. Not the needle
Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 AM

Yes, but it's not the vintage Featherweight. This site talks about some of the later machines that "singer" came out with that were also called "Featherweight".

http://malepatternboldness.blogspot....to-singer.html
Old 07-21-2017, 11:25 AM

there is an attachment that does zig zag stitches by moving the fabric back and forth under the needle. It's a lot of fun to play with, but it doesn't do that great a job. LOL

Rob
Old 07-21-2017, 12:45 PM

The Swiss zigzagger does a good job, and they turn up now and then. It's a bit cumbersome to fit on and off, but it's narrow, small and the walking foot action it has makes it easier to manage than the others. I have two other zigzag attachments, one large black Singer with a few cams (red knobs shaped) and a light simple attachment. The large one works but it's very hard to maneuver and get the fabric to stay flat unless it's treated with a stabiliser. You don't get neat sating stitching, but a few utility patterns and a limited range of stitch width and length. I haven't had my hands on the Greist version yet, and there are a few other versions in existence. For very fine fabrics and zigzag patterns you need a real swing arm zigzag machine (or stabiliser /interfasing). There are ways about most challenges but some are easier than others.

For portable zigzaggers, I would probably go for an Elna Lotus, vintage or new. There's a few slightly smaller light weight Berninas, and yet a few others. These are not as small as a Featherweight neither are they as old or all metal, but they are nice to work on and good quality.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:36 AM

tx for the replies. I just couldn't imagine how this worked. always get the right info here
Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
there is an attachment that does zig zag stitches by moving the fabric back and forth under the needle. It's a lot of fun to play with, but it doesn't do that great a job. LOL

Rob
I have the one my mother had for her 301a. Yeah, it doesn't do a great job. LOL
Old 07-22-2017, 01:25 PM
KLO

There is the Featherweight Plus and there is a photo on the link posted by MacyBaby. It does have zigzag stitches (I suppose that is the Plus) but it's plastic. It's very lightweight so not sure how well it would stay in place while sewing and again, it's plastic! I have one. Don't ask me why because as I mentioned before, it's plastic! I only sewed with it a couple of times and that was years ago. I don't think I would buy one unless I needed a very lightweight machine to take to class and needed the zigzag. But I am sure there are much better choices out there for that purpose plus did I mention that it is plastic? Yep, everywhere!