Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2011 BOM #2 - STARS - 15th of the Month >

2011 BOM #2 - STARS - 15th of the Month

2011 BOM #2 - STARS - 15th of the Month

Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Originally Posted by PokerDiva
Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
I picked up my background fabric last night, I plan on doing brights and black, I had the brights just had to pick up the black, I'm doing the house BOM and the Fiesta BOM
What is the Fiesta BOM? That sounds like fun too.
Look here for the link and other comments about Fiesta BOM
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85521-1.htm
WOW. That is just beautiful. Looks like a lot of work and I have a lot on my plate now but thank you for sending me there to see it.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 PM

I would also like to participate in the stars please! :D
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Crlyn
Welcome to the group, Crlyn. We'll be getting started next Saturday, the 15th.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM

I love your idea about the black and brights !!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:47 PM

I would like your opinions. I don't know exactly how to plan for a star quilt. I am just starting so I don't have a stash. I really don't want to have to commit to purchasing a bunch of fabric. I was thinking of doing red, white, blue or even just different reds, as red it my favorite color. I'm worried that if I would buy fabric as I go that I may not like my finished quilt. Help ease my mind, please? What do you think I should do? :?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm using one color for the background and I'm hoping FQ's for the stars
Originally Posted by meesabell
I would like your opinions. I don't know exactly how to plan for a star quilt. I am just starting so I don't have a stash. I really don't want to have to commit to purchasing a bunch of fabric. I was thinking of doing red, white, blue or even just different reds, as red it my favorite color. I'm worried that if I would buy fabric as I go that I may not like my finished quilt. Help ease my mind, please? What do you think I should do? :?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by meesabell
I've never done a BOM before, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I did a star sampler few months ago, just choosing stars as I go, and some required four fabrics, so it depends on what gets chosen here, some stars may need more than three colors to pop, of course, you can use the same color with different values too. One thing to consider is how big do you want your finished quilt to be? The BOM blocks will be 12 blocks that finish at 12'', if you just set those straight together in three rows of four, you'll end up with a 36x48 quilt. If this suits you, pick four or five different fabrics to make your stars. You may want to add sashing too in between blocks, again it depends on the look and size you are going for. Also, if you are interested in a scrappy look, you can just buy many fat quarters and go from there. As long as your fabrics go together, your star blocks should look great.
Why don't you browse the board pictures or Google images for star samplers or star quilts and see which look you like best?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:04 PM

I forgot to say, that I am planning a twin size quilt with this BOM, I am going to make two blocks each month, then make one extra block for a total of 25 blocks, then set them on point with sashing and add a couple of borders. I have one yard of a focal fabric that I will try to use sparingly(can't find more), then I have four 2-yard blenders that I will use for the stars, and a four-yard piece for the sashing and setting blocks. As we go, I may change color placements, not sure, but I'd like to end up with a twin size quilt. But also, I don't mind shopping and storing fabric :mrgreen:
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 PM

I wished we could get started already. Doing the antsy dance (similar to peepee dance).
Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by Crlyn
Welcome to the group, Crlyn. We'll be getting started next Saturday, the 15th.
:thumbup: :D