Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Thank you for having the DJ challenge again. I've always wanted to make one. These blocks are so addictive, I'm loving it!! The only problem I'm having is the 1/4" seam. I have a Viking Designer 1, can select 1/4" but it seems to be a little more generous, blocks are ending up about 1/8" short. This never seemed to be a problem when making all the other quilts that I have done. So I had to redo a couple after adjusting my seam allowance. I'm loving the PP blocks and am jumping ahead and doing some of the easy appliqued blocks. I'll send some pictures when I learn how to load them to my laptop.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM

I purchased the software for the patterns only. I'm not going to change or redesign anything. Below is a quickie on getting the patterns and printing. If someone else has does this before, sorry for the duplication.

Click onto Design My Quilt (on left)
Then click Libraries (at top), select block library
Under Block Library, click libraries, center blocks, select which row the block is in you are checking.
Then select the block (should have a green highlight around it). Then click copy. The block you selected is now gone. Select other blocks you need the same way. Then click close.
Now at the top of your screen are two red tabs, select the left one (view sketchbook).
Select which block you want to copy, then click edit.
Click File (upper left hand corner), then print. You will have a choice of block, foundation pattern (for paper piecing), templates (for appliqué) or rotary cutting. Select one, then select print preview. Then if you’re sure that’s what you want then hit print.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
we went to vermont in oct. 2011. we were afraid to go because of all the flooding, but stayed on the main highways, so all was good. the orginal DJ was on display until the l5th of oct. i believe. some orginal jane pic's on flicker. under sewNso1 . not good at licks.
Hi! Thank you very much for your photos! Are so beautiful! I justsee them onFlickrand markedoneas a favoriteto keephisgallery!Thanksfor sharing!
Congratulations toallfor their beautifulblocks!
I stillcould notmake myblockthis week, I'll trySaturday and Sunday!A hug toeach!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM

The signature block at this point is simply something to think about. I would like an idea of how many are interested - and I would also think of it as more of a 'rail fence' idea as was mentioned by Quiltermomma. It would really be awesome if the whole group would do it, but since this is going to be going on for some time, I would put it on the back burner til at least the end of this Summer and possibly even the end of the year. I am not thinking of making 115 or so fancy or even simple Dear Jane blocks, but rather signed squares or rectangles of light fabric that we could each incorporate into a backing for our Dear Janes with the addition of our own fabric. This would require some additional piecing for the backs, but would be incredible. You could simply make a border of signature pieces for a border around the backing or string-quilted in the center.

If there is an interest, then I would take down a list of participants who want to make the blocks and let everyone know how many are on the interest list. If we keep it simple, then it would consist of every DJ participant in the signature block cutting 'for example 80 2x4 rectangles and signing their name, board name, city and state/country.' They would then be sent to my address with an additional stamped envelope for me to return one of each of the others.
AGAIN -DO NOT do this now. I will bring it up from time to time and take down an interest list in a few months.

If there were only 20 people interested - then making a A-6 block for each wouldn't be too bad. But if there are 50-100 who would like to do this, I think a simple signed piece of your fabric would be plenty. As nice as a fully sewn block by someone else is, I personally think a larger number of signed squares or rectangles is more impressive and memorable.

On a totally different note - Brenda Papadakis and I have been texting about the DJ. I went to Road to CA quilt show and picked up wool batting per her suggestion. Many quilters at the show also had used wool to quilt their DJ. I am told it is warm in winter and cool in summer. I also spoke with a quilt appraiser & expert on vintage textiles at the show. For those who want to keep their DJ 'authentic' - women used what fabrics they had in their possession during the Civil War. They couldn't afford to buy more. Since the fabrics available immediately prior to the war were often bright, the resulting quilts made during this time were often vibrant. What did also happen was a mixture of whites and off-whites - fabrics you wouldn't normally put together. But because the left-over fabrics varied the quilts usually had scrappy looks. - so anything goes!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:53 AM

I still haven't started. I an dying to get going. I am working on fixing my MAC computer to make the software work. I want to enlarge it a little to make it queen sized. Everyones blocks are so wonderful. I am planning on civil war fabrics to make it somewhat authentic. I am also planning on the round the world theme. I have my background fabric and enough civil war fabric to get started.I will probably need a few more as I go along. will see once I get going. The signature blocks sound good to me.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 AM

Good morning ladies! May I join your group? I am off to Amarillo today to start a Dear Jane at a LQS there. They are doing a one hour class for $5 on the 3rd Saturday of the month for 2 years. I fell in love with this quilt when I first saw it in a quilt shop in Denver a couple of years ago. I am ready to take the plunge. I have the book and rulers, and today we are supposed to bring fabric selections and the instructor will take about what size prints for approproiate blocks. I'll let you know tonight how it goes!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Welcome Sunflower!! by the time you come back - you will probably have a couple of blocks done
Let us know which ones you are doing - curious how close the schedule I made is to a LQS schedule???

Just for a little info on fabric amounts - spoke with a few vendors at the show yesterday. I used 2 dark charm squares and a small piece of light for block B4 & had fabric remaining. They said that was pretty typical. Charm Square pack can add a bit of variety to any quilt that uses small pieces.
Gus
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 AM

cre8tvlwyr
I like the idea of just a 2x4 rectangle, or whatever size, signed with info, that could be incorporated into a piano key border or large block. That would be so simple to do. Please keep us posted, and THANK YOU so much for undertaking this project. I am really having fun doing the blocks, and get stumped on some, but walk away, come back and I have gotten the problem figured out in my head. Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
The signature block at this point is simply something to think about. I would like an idea of how many are interested - and I would also think of it as more of a 'rail fence' idea as was mentioned by Quiltermomma. It would really be awesome if the whole group would do it, but since this is going to be going on for some time, I would put it on the back burner til at least the end of this Summer and possibly even the end of the year.
I think I would be interested in doing the signature blocks in the rail fence style as I would love to use them as a border on the back of the quilt. I personally think each doing a full block would be a bit too much work as I basically becomes another quilt. But I do love the idea of having everyone's names on the back!

Thank you so much for deciding to undertake this! I am currently wizzing through the blocks and have 6 1/2 completed as I am just having so much fun! I will post them later this week. I don't expect to get much done this coming 2 weeks though as I am working almost everyday and I have some crochet and hand stitching to get done!

Hope everyone is having fun with their blocks! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-21-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: PM to member
Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 AM

i too would be very happy to do the 2x4 rectangle rather than anything else...
lot's of irons in the fire, this would be sew much easier...
will be a very nice addition to the back my friends...