Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 2778

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Blog Entries
    Very great blocks, Pink Lady!
    I like your fabrics, they are so beautiful!
    A hug!

Very nice blocks Pink Lady. I do like your A-1 block being wonky like the one Jane made. Great job!

First Dear Jane block

Here is my first block. I lost the other 2 pics. LOL! I will post later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I made lots of those little diamonds to applique and decided on the method of layering wax paper and cutting out the shape. Then placing the shape on the fabric and folding over edges and using tiny dots of glue to hold in place while I appliqued with silk thread. I tried starching the edges over the template but that is too messy for the RV and hotel room.

Pink Lady 3 beautiful blocks. You are on your way.
    Dakotamaid love your block.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Blog Entries
    Dakotamaid ... you do a very great job! I like the colors!

BEAUTIFUL work Pink lady love the A-1 and your fussy cut of A5 ....yes A2 is awesome too!

so... gotta mention if you ever lived in the L.A. area you may have heard of "pinklady" - there is a tunnel going to Malibu through a rocky pass and many many many years ago, someone climbed way up on the huge flat rock over the tunnel and painted a "fresco" - a 20 or so foot tall pink [naked] lady... not a da Vinci but the form was pretty decent [should say lifelike]. They really should have left it alone because they painted over it sort of. For the last 40+ years its been a blob but if you know where the original was you can still make out the outline through it

bottom line - whenever I see your screen name it brings a smile to much younger days!
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    I made lots of those little diamonds to applique and decided on the method of layering wax paper and cutting out the shape. Then placing the shape on the fabric and folding over edges and using tiny dots of glue to hold in place while I appliqued with silk thread. I tried starching the edges over the template but that is too messy for the RV and hotel room.
    Dakotamaid, I recently tried a new way and it's probably my favorite now. Cut the shape from freezer paper. Iron it on the wrong side of the fabric. Use a fabric glue pen to glue the edges onto the freezer paper. Use the Roxanne fabric glue (she now sells it in a tube that looks kind of like an eye drop bottle) to put a few tiny drops of glue in the turned over seam allowance of the applique piece and position onto the block/background piece. Applique the piece, I have been using silk thread for a long time but recently found another thread that I like: WonderFil Specialty Threads, Invisa Fil. I think the supplies needed would be small and easy enough to work with for the RV and hotel rooms as well as give you a good result. Let me know if this makes sense or if pictures would help. Good luck, I think this is a great project to work on while you are traveling!! And yes, when you get the other pictures, please post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    BEAUTIFUL work Pink lady love the A-1 and your fussy cut of A5 ....yes A2 is awesome too!

so... gotta mention if you ever lived in the L.A. area you may have heard of "pinklady" - there is a tunnel going to Malibu through a rocky pass and many many many years ago, someone climbed way up on the huge flat rock over the tunnel and painted a "fresco" - a 20 or so foot tall pink [naked] lady... not a da Vinci but the form was pretty decent [should say lifelike]. They really should have left it alone because they painted over it sort of. For the last 40+ years its been a blob but if you know where the original was you can still make out the outline through it

bottom line - whenever I see your screen name it brings a smile to much younger days!
    Gus
    Monica, I did live in LA for a while and am sorry to say I never knew of the pinklady. Or the tunnel to Malibu, for that matter. I did have fun when my Mom came to visit us and we went into a restaurant in Malibu. She had a kick looking at the pictures they had hanging of so many movie stars (many of whom I did not recognize)! Don't miss the highways out there (and I've got enough of my own here, now!) but I do remember how much I always enjoyed driving through Palos Verdes - so pretty.

Pink Lady and Dakotamaid, thanks for sharing pics - the blocks look great!

The restaurant was probably the Malibu Inn - which unfortunately has been closed for a few months now. The "tunnel" I speak of is very short and is on Malibu Canyon Rd., one of the main two roadways between the 101 and Malibu.

I realize it is the first of Feb..... have to start the new thread here.... not quite ready yet ladies!!
    Gus

Quote Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
    GEMRM, I usually do my applique by hand but I have tried machine applique and may do more of it because of the speed. Try a short and narrow blind hem stitch, keeping most of the stitches on the background piece. I've heard both: match your thread to the background, match your thread to the applique piece. Just make a few test pieces and see which you like the best. Years ago I used the clear (plastic) thread. I hated it. If I try it again I'm going to use a regular thread. Have you tried to google youtube or Missouri Star Quilts for a demo? Good luck.
    Thank you so much for a reply, I thought for a minute I had mis-spoke, no one responded!

I got antsy to start, so I "bit the bullet" and hand appliqued two blocks, I enjoyed it so much, I did another two!

I am still considering the machine applique, as this quilt will be a mish mash of various techniques.
    I did recall though how much I like hand work. I use silk thread and a modified freezer template idea.
    I ironed the freezer paper shape (without seam allowance) onto wrong side of fabric, cut out, with seam allowance and used my tweezers to hold the edges in place as I ironed the seam allowances to wrong side. After pressing the daylights out of it, I pulled the freezer paper out, and pinned into place on the background fabric. This meant I didn't have to cut the backside away to get the freezer paper out.

I'm just playing around with DJ blocks, haven't completely committed to doing it yet. I did the first row minus the applique blocks because I wasn't sure how to do them. GEM, your explanation is so precise and helpful I'm going to try one today. Thank you!!!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    If it can be useful to someone, I learned how to make applique with Ms. Erin Russek starch method. You can find her full Tutorial at this link:
    http://erinrussek.typepad.com/photos...ial/index.html
    A hug to all and good Sunday!

Here are the blocks I've finished in the last 9 months. I'm doing an 1800's Jane and a Batik Jane. Let me explain. I started A-10 last May but had huge summer issues and didn't finish them. So I wanted to start fresh with the 2014 group. I finished A-10s and B-8s since last weekend when I visited my daughter at college. A-10 has machine piecing, needle turned center and I appliquéd the outside piece to the center. B-8 is pp with appliqué melons.

I also went yesterday to a DJ class in Celeste Texas at Quilt Emporium. A new friend from this Quilt Board met me there. I learned needle turn appliqué and finished both C-9s. Then I did the instructors method of appliqué on my Batik B3 and B2.

I hope I'm on a roll. I really want to finish both my DJs. I'm probably going to drop out of the Batik Jane BoM. I'm getting tooooooo many duplicates. I have six of some prints now and I've only received a third of my BoM. Also yesterday at the DJ class the instructor looked at the batiks I had and said. True Batiks have wax stamping? All the batiks the store has sent are from a dyed line. What do I know about Batiks???

So anyway. Here are my finishes. I'm super happy!!!! I thank all you ladies here for all the great inspiration!
    Attached Images Attached Images

SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Sheri, those are beautiful. And thanks for the heads up on batiks, something I did not know.

Still lurking here, learning as I read. I will not have a problem with my DJ batik BOM with Quilting on the Square sending me monthly shipments and I love their choices they have sent me...unfortunately, none are done yet...but have plans to do several this month. I love the blocks I see and they inspire me to start up on mine...as soon as time permits.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    GEM, your explanation is so precise and helpful I'm going to try one today. Thank you!!!
    Glad it was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GV09 View Post
    If it can be useful to someone, I learned how to make applique with Ms. Erin Russek starch method. You can find her full Tutorial at this link:
    http://erinrussek.typepad.com/photos...ial/index.html
    A hug to all and good Sunday!
    I looked at this link, as the idea of using starch sounds interesting, but all I saw at the link were a bunch of pictures?

About a year ago someone asked me to show how I needle-turned my points. I posted a tutorial at that time within this thread which you will find around post #2190-2197. One of the first posts also has a couple of links listed to other you-tube tutorials.

I have used freezer paper and I have made laminated templates, put my cut fabric to applique on top and run my fingernail over the edge of the template underneath to crease the fabric in the right spot. I've used several starch methods and have found them too time consuming although you do get more precision, but you also sacrifice soft curves and get a result that sometimes seems too flat to me. It is all a matter of preference though and more than anything it takes practice practice practice! You have to find what works for you and more than likely will eventually do what I do - come up with your own way which is a combination of other approaches.
    Gus

I probably should contact PatriceJ to have her ok to set up the new thread... and maybe see if the tute can be transferred???

btw- for anyone not familiar with how to find a post number - divide the post number by the number of posts you have per page [you can find/change this in your general settings] and go to that page number.

Thanks for the info re how to find a post, and also about the earlier tutes. I'm just getting started on DJ - a little late to the party!
    I am not likely to do the starch process if it's really fiddlely!
    GEMRM

Gemrm,
    Don't get the wrong impression from what I wrote. I have used the starch method on a few things and it does work well once you get the hang of it. For some, it doesn't take long to do so and I have many friends that use this as their preferred method of applique. If you want a crisp finish, it does the best job. Many of the things I am working on now and in the recent past look better with a softer curved edge. If you are familiar with Pearl Piereira's works - Baltimore Christmas, Baltimore Halloween, American States Album [dont know if this is the right name...] She has hundreds of pieces in her blocks, some extremely small and much easier to deal with when using the starch method properly.

I think it is a good idea to try many different methods and use what you are most comfortable with depending on what you are making.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    I looked at this link, as the idea of using starch sounds interesting, but all I saw at the link were a bunch of pictures?
    Hello, GEMRM!
    All post and vídeo for appliqué are in this link:
    http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/
    A hug!

Nice blocks everyone. I've been looking at the pictures on pinterest. When I get home I'm going to restart my quilt.
    Cindy

I cut out my first Dear Jane block today...A1; finished it and started on A2. I had not realized that the raw edge to edge was five inches on the completed block....whew! Mini series!! I have a new respect for all of you who have completed Dear Jane, or currently working on Dear Jane blocks. Don't have any idea how many blocks I will finish at this time. Mercy!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    I cut out my first Dear Jane block today...A1; finished it and started on A2. I had not realized that the raw edge to edge was five inches on the completed block....whew! Mini series!! I have a new respect for all of you who have completed Dear Jane, or currently working on Dear Jane blocks. Don't have any idea how many blocks I will finish at this time. Mercy!!
    Nina Sue, these tiny blocks are like potato chips the more you make the more your enjoyment and fun you will have. I Was "playing" with my blocks yesterday. My piece count is 4934, not counting the one piece fill in triangles for the borders. My plan is to begin sashing blocks March 1st as I have a couple project to complete first.
    I will be watching for your progress

Judy in Phx, AZ

Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 108 109 110 ... LastLast