Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 107 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 106 107 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 2778

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Your L2 is beautiful!! I would PP those stripes too
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

I have the book, and the software, and the fabric! I'm ready to start, just have to get up my nerve! I don't find the software very intuitive either. But, fools rush in where angels fear to tread.......
    I will watch for the new thread as well. I may not actually get started for a few weeks, just started a new job.

EQ7 tech helped me so my lists of the difficult ones print out right. Seems mine was an older program (Gee, I bought it early last year) and they brought it up to day and it works fine now...no longer have that excuse. Not that I would ever put anything off...LOL! So when my comfort level comes to try this, this month, I will dive into the adventure. At least, that is my plan for now.

Doing applique...........
    Name:  Eris 016.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  635.3 KB

GEMRM and QuiltingNinaSue, there is a way to move the pieces around before you print out the blocks for paper piecing. Then you can turn your page around and print on the other end of the paper to save paper, otherwise it prints only one block per page (and there's usually lots of extra space on the page).

Also, you can mirror image the blocks. In fact, I think you can just leave that "on" and all the blocks are being printed mirror image because if the block doesn't need to be mirror imaged than it doesn't matter (meaning you can't tell that it was printed mirror iimaged). Someone with more experience with the software, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cindy,
    I've rarely printed from the software but I just printed a couple of blocks to become re-familiarized. You can "move" pieces around easily and you can sometimes print more than two blocks if you pay attention to where you are moving pieces. The issues you will have is in "template" mode there is no way that I have found of getting rid of the full block pattern that accompanies the templates and that will also print out. There is no "mirror" capability when you print templates [unnecessary] - only in foundation. I printed A-1 first, moving all templates to the upper right corner next to the block sketch. Then I thought I could print A-2 as a foundation pattern on the opposite site -behind the block. I lined up the pieces on the left side of the screen.....wrong, because when you flip the paper over, what you place on the left side is printed on what you had on the right on the back side of the page. You must in other words, line up your templates on the right for printing on both sides if you want to be able to cut all pieces out. If I had done this my foundation patterns would have printed on the backside of the block pattern instead of the backside of the templates I wanted to cut out.

I follow both discussions above. I did the FWSQ and PC with Honchey and used EQ7 where you could 'move' the templates to save paper, then print them out. If I mis-type the measurements into the computer and it prints the block the wrong size, I put the paper in again and print on the other side of the paper.

I am so excited because my Dear Jane blocks came today from Quilting on the Square. Can't hardly wait until I can dive into them...couple of other things are ahead of them. Finishing Irish Mist, (number one, #2 will follow later) and do my two SYEs for the month of January. Interesting enough, they start in the A's...1 to 12? , the kit of course came with fabric labeled, so I will label each square as I complete it with a piece of freezer paper ironed on one corner of the quilt and write the block number on it. Just dreaming about it until I can start...with reality.

QNS how can you resist? Did you get the whole row A at once? Do you have a picture of the kit and the fabrics? Each row has 13 blocks

Blog Entries
    can someone give me a hint on the best way to put the 4 corner units on the quilt and also the border would it be easier to put plain border quilt it then scallop it. any help would be appreciated. I have all my blocks completed and ready to assemble. It has been a long journey but learned alot.

This link might help you.
    I have no affiliation to Anina - who wrote all this blog - but I used her wonderful instructions a lot !

http://thatquilt.blogspot.co.uk/2011_01_01_archive.html

Dot in England, UK

Blog Entries
    thanks Dot i used her blog to i dont think i could have done it without her blog but did not see any instructions on how to attach the corner pieces . Do you know if you have seen instructions on this and i missed it.

Linda

Not here Linda - this link went back to January 2011 ! I had just delved further than her block and tri tutorials !
    Regards, Dot.

Anael said,"QNS how can you resist? Did you get the whole row A at once? Do you have a picture of the kit and the fabrics? Each row has 13 blocks ." Ok, since you ask so nicely here are the pictures for A1 to A10 in reproduction prints and modern batiks:Name:  DSCN0095.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  233.8 KBLt beige under fabrics at the top of the pile is the biggest piece.
    Name:  DSCN0094.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  163.7 KBThe modern batiks fabric with the dark blue larger piece at the top. I think I can use more than one color in each block; love their colors that Quilting on the Square sent to me.

OHhhhhhhhhhh QNS, those fabrics are gorgeous! I can see 2 gorgeous Janes in your future Thanks for showing!

The fabrics are great QNS!!! and Thanks Dot for pointing out that the thatquilt.com site also addresses putting the whole quilt together. I'm not there yet and haven't seen anyone else post any hints about putting it together on this site - but I'm [envious and very proud!!!!] you are super for getting to this point Linda - encouraging to us all!!! AWESOME!!
    Gus

haven't checked this out as yet Linda - but I remember someone early on mentioning the Linda Franz [I think??] Inklingo site - I linked it in my first post....
    that one may help as well

I order more civil war fabric last night and yesterday went on a road trip and was lucky enough to get a layer cake. So with what I already have this will give me 115 different fabrics. I would love to do this quilt with no repeats but we will just have to see. I should finish my second block today and then will post pictures of them.

Quiltingninasue I love you fabrics.

I am hand piecing this quilt is there anyone else doing it by hand?
    Hope you are all having a great day.
    Kendra

Thank you Pink lady.

"Quote:[Linda Franz [I think??] Inklingo site]" Yes, I have tried dealing with her and failed. I ordered the ocean wave and her designs and downloaded them, wanting the four pages of pattern for the ocean wave...then discovered my printer was not printing out the patterns correctly for the right size and ask IF she would email or snail mail those four pages and she got very upset with me. Everyone else world wide had did it fine and what was wrong with me? Apparently, it was her way or no way. So, no, I would not use her site or instructions and if I had too I would pass on the project. Sorry, she could not understand or do what I wanted to use what I had paid for, but it happens in life. And life goes on, but it would be my fault if I did it again and hadn't learned my lesson in the first time around.

Pink lady, hand piecing is my aim but so far only 3 blocks done. (We are on the road alot so sew in the motel room or motorhome.) I'm guessing it will end up being both machine and hand piecing, whatever works best for me and the block. Other projects just seem to get in the way.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Dakotmaid your three blocks beat my two So maybe we will be a good pair. I am telling everyone this is my ten year quilt 5 years to do the blocks and then five to quilt it. That way if I get it done sooner all the better. What blocks did you start with? Would love to see pictures.
    Kendra

Blog Entries
    Has anyone done quilt as you go method on the dear jane quilt i think i am going to try that i think i can do more intricate stitching if the quilt sandwich is not so large just have questions on the best way to join the blocks and border i think i will do 3 across and 3 down and make a sandwich and the last rows will be 4 and 4 any suggestions on the best way to join these sandwiches and borders .

try to answer all questions here.... I know there were several ladies that tried the QAYG [quilt as you go] method for Jane the first time around [2010 group] and I believe Lacelady was one of them and has a little tutorial I will share when I find it. There was someone else that did it in 3x3 block sections with a few 4x3 sections [dont know if it was Linda Franz QNS ....sorry .... I've never used it/her myself - and will not necessarily recommend as I've had no experience with her and yours doesn't sound pleasant ] I simply pass on some tips others have used.

more repro fabrics cn be picked up as layer cakes, charms, etc from quilts123.com, reproductionfabrics.com and ebay as well as many LQSs [you dont need much of a single fabric for this one!]

QNS - you dont need inklingo - for the scallops there are also scallop rulers with instructions to adjust for specific widths. between the book, software, and all of us you will have a the help you need!

as for hand piecing - I have hand pieced a few, hand appliqued all applique blocks/tris, and have found at times the hand piecing is faster than the machine piecing and often more precise for the tricky pieces [believe it or not! because taking very few stitches by machine can be frustrating] I have advised people who find themselves reverse sewing a block repeatedly to pick up a needle and thread - much easier to ease and match seams. There are two groups of quilters I am friends with who are now making Janes entirely by hand - 4 ladies in one group and 8 in another. They are moving along.
    Gus

I did finally make another block from one of our schedules last weeks.... L-9
    I re-drafted the pattern first - which I indicated a few days ago. I copied the book picture at 258% [which translates to 4 1/2" finished] and measured the individual parts then redrew on 4 square/inch graph paper.
    Name:  djl9a.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  123.4 KBthose center rectangles not squares in the original measured - 1 1/2x 1 3/8 for the center, 2 background rect of 1 3/8 x 1 1/8 and 2 rect 1 1/2 x 1 1/8. For the setting triangles in between the outer rectangles I wanted a straight edge on the outside so I cut a 3" square diagonally twice giving me those 4 triangles. For the corner triangles in that center piece, I cut two 2" print squares once diagonally out of the print. I had to trim all of this once I had put it together [using the 'row' method... triangle rectangle triangle.... rectangle-center rect-rectangle... tri-rect-tri and then joined the three rows before adding the corners.

Trim the center square so the points of the rectangles are 1/4" from the side and the straight side of the rectangle has a 3/4" border of print. Trim the outer triangle strips so the white point is 1/4" from straight edge
    Name:  djl9b.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  126.4 KBFor that outer row, I cut one background and two print 3" squares diagonally twice so the straight edges would be on the sides of the block and sewed them together and then added them to the block making sure my point tips were in a line. You will need to trim this down [I had to cut them twice because they were too small the first time!] For the final corners I cut two background 2 1/2" squares diagonally once.
    Name:  djl9c.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  119.4 KBName:  djl9d.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  220.3 KBenjoy!! [down to 6 squares YAY....plus tris...kites]
    Gus
    Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 01-17-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Cre8tvlwyr;6518626] great block.

Red face help with Dear Jane

Quote Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
    This link might help you.
    I have no affiliation to Anina - who wrote all this blog - but I used her wonderful instructions a lot !

http://thatquilt.blogspot.co.uk/2011_01_01_archive.html

Dot in England, UK
    Above blog spot made it sooooo much easier to understand the assembly of blocks etc.

Page 107 of 112 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 106 107 108 ... LastLast