Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 106 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2778

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Blog Entries
    From my heart to yours:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

A big and strong hug to each one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Make half of Dear Jane that I lack, is a goal next year!
    See you soon! A hug!

Thank you Gladys, I wish you a very Happy New Year too
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

A Happy New Year to all.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

I have been 'lurking' Dear Jane site; ordered my book with CD and looking at book and CD again. Attempted to print out a list of blocks by name, by number and by difficulty. First the HP8600 printed them out from my Dell inspire PC fine on the first list by name....but double printed pages 2 and 3 making it unreadable. I restarted my PC and started up again...by number and by difficulty is still printing double. Guess I will need to check with an EQ7 tech tomorrow unless by chance, one of you might have a solution. Thank you.

I have ordered two kits, BOMs, from Quilting on the Square, one DJ in batiks, one regular, beginning mid-January. It will be a challenge, I know and I know I may want additional help, if its possible from you all.

I've never printed those lists so I don't know how to help you. With the blocks I will help whenever I can.

Thanks, Anael. I appreciate the offer.

Glad you are taking the plunge with Dear Jane, QNS. These blocks are addictive. I did over half of the quilt using the book only but finally went ahead and got the software. I don't find it very intuitive and am still trying to figure it out myself. Lots of helpful people on this thread who've been using the software all along, so I'm sure someone can offer good tips.

Welcome QNS!! I have both the software and the book. I'm not exactly sure what or how you were trying to print out lists. What I will say however is that you can print out the schedule that I made in the first post of this thread. I integrated Brenda's difficulty chart into the list and tried to make it "beginner heavy" the first few weeks. I took the advice of "Janiacs" who had been in a prior DJ thread on the QB a few years ago who wanted to be able to "see" their progress a little better than the previous schedule had given them, so the schedule roughly goes fro row A to M with tris scattered throughout the 18 months.

At any rate - the schedule will show green for beginners and red for advanced, as Brenda did. You may or may not want to follow the schedule if you are doing a BOM with a quilt shop but this will at least give you a visual on the difficulty.

Book vs Software... I only printed the software patterns a few times, primarily because I hate wasting paper and ink I guess! I am mathematical and intuitive, so I usually will look at a block and figure out the most economical way to cut parts. I think paper piecing is very precise, however, tearing away itty bitty pieces of paper is not my thing, so I only do this when absolutely necessary. [I guess I'm giving an anti-printing from software reason for me.... not everyone thinks so though! You have to find what works for you.] I normally will examine a block to see if it has half-square triangles or flying geese sections, I measure parts to a block carefully and strip pieces together whenever I can. Where I have found an easy way for me, I have attempted to share it with the group. I am compiling a list of post numbers of these pointers from me as well as others that will be useful to future janiacs.

Software advantages...
    -- not all book sketches match the original Jane, but the software has variations on many of the blocks and many times the pattern for the original is actually a variation.
    -- there is a chart in the software where you can import photos of all of your finished blocks to see what your quilt will look like
    -- the software is similar to EQ, you can look at a block in Jane and test different fabrics or colors to decide how you want to put a block together.

I'm going far off track ....kooky me! I probably answered none of your questions, but I will be around to answer them once you begin!
    Have fun
    Gus

LOL no you didn't Gus I almost always use the software for printing the blocks.
    The list with solutions would be great! I guess this thread will stay here but will be closed once we start a new thread?

The plan at this point is this....
    We will continue here until the end of this month at which point we will begin another thread - dk exactly what the name will be - something with "Jane" - QuiltE and I will start it and there will be an additional Group thread to go along with the new thread.

The new thread will be a place to share ideas, pictures, advice, on Jane blocks, assembly etc.... We will be slightly less structured - although I have to say we've not been "structured" for a while! We have all developed our own pace and we will all be at different levels. We will post a schedule or two in the first few posts that members can chose to follow or not. At the point the new thread is started, this one will be closed to posting, but always open for viewing. There will be a note telling everyone where to continue.

Only one of us will be able to post to the group thread but all will be able to view it. This will eliminate pages of comments and give members one "go to" place for ideas, tutorials, links to helpful techniques that were in this thread along with the block numbers those techniques relate to whenever that is available. Additional information and helpful techniques can be added by one person as time progresses.

I'm thinking about contacting those who started with us on this thread as I have kept an interest list of usernames. This way we will at least let people who dropped out for whatever reason know that many are restarting - or continuing where they left off.

Happy sewing!!
    Gus
    Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 01-04-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Meanwhile - if anyone wants to start - just Jump In!! you can either refer to the schedule on the first post on this thread or pick a block that appeals to you - there are many many of us that will help along the way if you get stuck!
    Gus

Thank you Gus for all the information!

Thank you Monica (Gus) or is it Monigus! for the updates. I continue to follow & have been doing a bit at a time. This is my year to finish my PHDs (projects hardly done) & my Jane is on that list.
    Maureen

I have just started my first Dear Jane block My plan is to start at the beginning of the book and do one block a week sometimes more. I have lots of ufo's to do this year so only going to plan on one a week. I am going to use civil war fabric. My question is I have about 20 fat 1/4's if I buy 40 more from Keepsake quilting would this be enough for the quilt?
    Kendra

Welcome aboard, Kendra!!
    To answer your question - you need to consider some other questions first -
    If you want each block to have different fabric - there are 225 blocks which includes all 169 squares, 52 triangles, and 4 corner kites. I have no repeated fabrics [actually I do have one!] in the blocks but I have used the same fabric in a block and a triangle. A FQ measures 20 x 18 - you need no more than 1-2 5" charm squares for the print part of each block. 20 x 18 will give you 12 5" squares and a 3x20" remnant out of which you will get more .... I figure you can get 8-10 blocks out of each FQ [you will need an equal amount of background as well.]

I guess to answer your original question - 20 FQs will give you enough print for 160-200 blocks, with lots of repeated fabrics.

If you want more variety, my advice would be to buy a couple of sets of charm squares - KQ has a set of 40 for about $13 a pack - you will need to order two packs, which will be more reasonable than ordering the 10" squares, but you could do that and each square should give you enough print fabric for a square and triangle.

Other sources for CW fabrics are: http://quilts123.com and www.reproductionfabrics.com

hope it all helps!
    Gus

Be sure I am contacted. Had a rough year last year but want to get started again soon. Thanks,
    Ozarkmama

Thank you Gus
    You have given me something to think about. I do have my background fabric. I also would love to do this without too many repeats. Thank you for the sites to order from.
    Kendra

I continue to plug along at this! Here are Week 16 blocks: C2, TR2, and TR5.

Chocolate Jane Versions of Blocks:
    Name:  C2_Chocolate Jane Version.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  184.0 KB
    Name:  TR5_Chocolate Jane Version.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  115.8 KB
    Name:  TR2_cholocate.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  124.1 KB

Dear Jane - I'm trying to match her fabrics as closely as I can:
    Name:  C2_Muslin Jane Version.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  92.3 KB
    Name:  TR5_Muslin DJ Version.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  86.1 KB
    Name:  TR2_muslin Jane.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  85.5 KB
    I'm looking forward to the new thread and continuing my "journey" with all of you!

Great blocks Judy!! I especially love the fabrics you used in C2 keep on going - it's good to see everyone that's coming back.
    Gus

I have the DJ Book and rulers. I make a trial run on Block A-1. I saw a link to this Thread and am glad to find it. I am standing "At Bat" getting ready to hit the ball and start running. I will need all the pointers, heads-up I can get.
    Ruby

Judy, beautiful blocks!

Ruby - welcome!!
    FIRST piece of advice - to everyone new here do NOT start with A-1!!!! it is very difficult and if you want it to look like the original you need to make a few adjustments and then it will be even more difficult. I had it down for week 3 [and may have lost a few members at that time!] To give you an idea of what members did - you should check out these post numbers.... #229 - Tyme to Shine redrew the pattern and shared it with the group [actually there were several that re-drew on EQ, I did mine on graph paper after a few other fiascos...which you can read about on post #606 where mine is], post #s 300 and 264 are also worth checking out before attempting A-1.

If you are just starting - I would follow the first few of weeks on the schedule [moving A-1 further down] I think A1 and A9, 11, and 13 were the blocks that presented the most problems the first few months.
    Gus

I finished another block - L2... and I'm going to start on L-9 tonight.
    For L-2 ....after 'unsewing' a few times I decided to give in and paper piece the center outer border pieces of the on-point section. [you have to look at it to know what I mean!] and if you are new to this board you will soon discover that I don't really like to pull out dozens of paper pieces from the backs of these tiny blocks so where there is a way to easily make a block without paper piecing I will do so. Not to say I hate paper piecing - I think it has its place and sometimes is the best way but when you have easy measurements, I simply measure - cut - sew.
    For example, when you visit thatquilt.com and other blogs this entire block is PP [paper-pieced]. The center square finishes 1" as do the other 4 print squares, so why PP?? Simply cut these carefully at 1 1/2" squares and sew them where they belong. For the corner blocks of this section you will see I eliminated that extra triangle - Jane doesn't have it there so why should I add it and make the block more difficult than it is? I cut 4 background squares 1 3/4" and cut them each diagonally once. In between these two resulting triangles, I carefully attached a print strip that I cut slightly less than 7/8" wide. After making the nine-patch center it was time to add the border strips. First I thought I would mimic the way I did the corner blocks for the center - what a MESS!! I won't go into it any further - just dont try it. I suggest you PP that outer sashing before the setting triangles and you will be fine. I noticed the lower right triangles around that middle piece is still off!...oh well
    Name:  djl2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  122.7 KB

I will be making L-9 a little differently. I noticed the center of the original is a rectangle, not a square. Being a bit of a purist [not totally at this point ] I tried to draft it first and then thought of another plan which you could conceivably do with about every block if you wanted to. The picture of this block measures 1 3/4" in the book [not all block pictures are the same size - so be forewarned to measure before you do this to all] If you copy the photo of the original L-9 block in the book at 258% you end up with a 4 1/2" block!! I will carefully cut it up and walla! have templates Name:  djl9.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  52.1 KB hopefully I will have the finished block to show you soon.
    happy sewing!
    Gus

sorry about that picture - my dining room lights reflected in the ruler

Page 106 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 105 106 107 ... LastLast