Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 109 110 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 2778

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Blog Entries
    After a good year off, I've returned to my baby Jane. Did I see reference to a new thread starting up?
    jillaine

Blog Entries
    You can do it! I took a great tip: "A block at a time"! And I'm going slow... but for sure! Enjoy! A hug!

Blog Entries
    I love your blocks! Those are so beautiful!
    And love those fabrics!
    A hug!

Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    Gemrm,
    Don't get the wrong impression from what I wrote. I have used the starch method on a few things and it does work well once you get the hang of it. For some, it doesn't take long to do so and I have many friends that use this as their preferred method of applique. If you want a crisp finish, it does the best job. Many of the things I am working on now and in the recent past look better with a softer curved edge. If you are familiar with Pearl Piereira's works - Baltimore Christmas, Baltimore Halloween, American States Album [dont know if this is the right name...] She has hundreds of pieces in her blocks, some extremely small and much easier to deal with when using the starch method properly.

I think it is a good idea to try many different methods and use what you are most comfortable with depending on what you are making.
    So far I have been pressing the applique piece edges over the freezer paper without glue or starch and then removing the freezer paper. Then I pin the piece into place and go from there. I think though, that I might try starching the fabric first on my next set of applique. I'll let you know how it goes.

And, I must get my camera out and post pictures - I have about 8 blocks done now.
    Soon, I promise!

I've tried a lot of different applique techniques. One of the things I tried was diluted liquid starch and Templar, a heat resistant plastic. You cut the Templar in the shape of the piece and cut the fabric with the 1/4" seam allowance. Then I used a small craft paint brush and painted starch along the edges of the fabric, folded over and pressed with the iron. You then remove the Templar and the piece is ready to applique. I tend to go heavy handed with the starch and while it makes a perfectly shaped piece it's tougher getting the needle through.

I also like the method where you iron freezer paper on the back side of the fabric and then fold and glue the seam allowance over. I cut the back of my pieces anyway, and that way you can remove the freezer paper from the back side of your block. I almost always cut the back side of my applique blocks away to reduce bulk, freeing me up to quilt more easily.

Name:  20140216_170433 (640x480).jpg
Views: 115
Size:  191.3 KBName:  20140216_170531 (640x480).jpg
Views: 120
Size:  205.1 KBName:  20140216_170542 (640x480).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  152.6 KBName:  20140216_170616 (640x480).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  200.3 KB
    Here are four of my blocks. I have 16 done but not yet photographed. Of course, the paper pieced ones look better once I took the paper out, but I must have been too excited to wait before I took the pictures. This is an addictive quilt to make!

Great blocks GEMRM!
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Your blocks are great, GEMRM!!

Great blocks love your colours. I have a few more done need to take pictures.

Four lovely blocks.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

A few words finally.... albeit not many and not possibly for a few days again, although will try. I did something to my back - actually exacerbated a very old injury but story is too long - about two weeks ago. By last week I was put on a few meds to reduce inflammation and pain - which has now subsided a bit from my mid-back where it started and stayed in my left arm and neck [as it exacerbated an even older neck injury...ahem.] As soon as I can, I will start the new string but this is the hold-up and I haven't heard from the other person who wanted to start a new thread although Patrice said it had to be only one of us. Before my back went out I did complete a few more of my blocks - I am down to 3 center blocks remaining!! [L10, M1 and M4]
    Here are M8
    Name:  djm8.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  84.7 KB

here is M9:
    Name:  djm9.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  44.8 KB
    and M11:Name:  djm11.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  91.8 KB

Sorry about your back trouble, Monica. Hope you're on the mend soon. Your blocks look great!

I've made a few more blocks but hesitate to post pictures because I'm so out of order from our original schedule. I'm approx halfway through the center blocks and the tris but have not made any tris lately.

Cindy, please post your pictures! There's nothing wrong with not being on schedule

Blog Entries
    just finished my dear Jane 2 years to piece and 100 hours of quilting
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fromzstore, it's just wonderful! So are you ready to start another one? Did you hand or machine quilt? I still haven't started quilting mine.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful blocks, GEMRM! And nice fabrics too!

Blog Entries
    Ohhh ... Sorry about your back trouble, Gus, I hope you're on the mend very soon! Take care, please! Your blocks are so beautiful! You did a great job! Gentle hugs to you (to not get worse) and my best wishes!

Blog Entries
    Cindy... I think that you and I are half way, but both in our own path. There is nothing wrong in that. I think that the important thing is to continue the journey in the measures of our possibilities! A hug!

Blog Entries
    [Quote = Anael; 6590964] Cindy, por favor, publicar sus fotos! No hay nada de malo en no estar a tiempo [/ quote]

I agree, Anael!!! : Thumbup:: O: Thumbup:

Blog Entries
    OMG!!!
    Magnificent, wonderful!
    My most sincere congratulations!
    You did a great job!
    Enjoy it very much!
    And thank you! That image will inspire us to move forward with our!

Cre8 beautiful blocks.
    Fromzstore your quilt is stunning. Really love your scallops.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Blog Entries
    I did machine quilting i did quilt as you go method i have a long arm but i did this on my janome so i could get closer to the blocks and it has alot of quilting in it the scallops took about 20 hours it has 1/4 in cross hatching No will not do another all my girls are wanting it but i told them when i die they can fight over it there will not be another one if i do another i will pick out my favorite blocks and make them 12 in and do a quilt with those.

Fromzstore,
    Your quilt is awesome!!!! you're done! wow - did you start with us January 2012?? or had you started a little earlier -I remember you used to post quite a bit when this thread first began. As soon as I finish all of my center blocks, I'm going to get my quilty friends together to "re-arrange" them a little. I didn't stick to the 'round the world' Jane and there are a few blocks I made that need to move from where they are. Then I think I will do a modified quilt as you go?? quilt as you are in sections on my domestic bernina 440QE ... still have quite a few triangles to do.

on another note... just got back from UCLA ER for my back/arm - arm pain was unbearable last night but they gave me something that actually got rid of the pain!! yay after tons of tests... figured at my age with left arm pain had to rule out heart attacks and strokes.... passed I knew it was my back!! so I do have to follow up with ortho or neuro they said..

I know I can cut and paste from old blog/thread to a new one... or I think I can - so if I keep improving I will start real soon [sorry if everything seems disjointed - I am foggy]

fromzstore - I see kiddy walkers etc - S & D or GS & GD??? looks like my house only the youngest one has grown out of all of that
    Gus

Fromzstore, your DJ is stunning! Did you do the QAYG row by row? Or ...... I have to quilt mine on my Bernina 440QE also and I would love to know how you did it.

Gus, I'm glad you didn't have a heart attack or stroke. Hope you'll feel better soon!

Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 109 110 111 ... LastLast