Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion >

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 AM

I sit here in awe as I see the pics of the DJ blocks....and the triangles, wow. I have done 3, but I have enlarged to 6" finished, just could not see myself doing smaller......bless those who are doing as shown......

I have a question for Spartan quilter... are you using poly batting? and doing quilting as you go? How will you join all these together? The only way I know of doing that is covering the back seam with a narrow binding type of finish,handsewn down, is there a smoother way.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM

Beautiful Anael. Glad to hear (read) that you are getting better.

Spartan nicely done as usual.

Go Kitsie go! At this rate, you will pass us right on by.

Last edited by Fraew; 05-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 AM

I am still behind, but I thought I would do a little posting! First, here are two of this week's blocks [haven't done C10 yet ] TR9 I foundation/PP'd the larger bottom section by machine and then completed the remainder by hand. I wanted to make sure I matched the points and besides... wanted something to relax with while watching tv. BR2 is fully paper pieced by machine as recommended at the thatquilt.com site.[ATTACH=CONFIG]335941[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails djtr9-br2.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Default Reworking Jane

I love this project and having you all to share it with makes it that much more fun. But...my Jane was getting on my nerves...wonky blocks and color choices.

I am using CW fabrics and wanted each block to be pink, brown and cream (not just neutral but cream). I also didn't want to repeat fabrics. This made things challenging when selecting fabrics for each block, not only getting the right contrast but having enough creams as they are hard to come by.

Some of my blocks were wonkier than I could stand. Each time I looked at them I would tell myself that I could live with it, but I just couldn't do it.

So...I went through all of my blocks, saved some and plan to use the others in different projects.
I decided to use Kona snow for most of my "white" areas and will use the creams when I feel like it.
Each block will have pink and brown which may be in the same fabric.
If it's wonky, fix or redo it until I can tolerate it. We are the hardest on ourselves right?

And now, I can tolerate my Jane again. Whew.

So behind, but still moving forward. New for this week:
A3 - Hunter's Moon (redo)
A8 - Florence Nightingale (redo)
Attached Thumbnails dj-a3.jpg   dj-a8.jpg   dj-pcc-05_17_12.jpg  

Last edited by Fraew; 05-17-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM

ooops! there's a small piece of white fabric laying on top of one of the small triangles on BR2

well - so now I'm behind and ahead??? I've posted two of next week's blocks - completed C11 and D1. A small word of warning when you do C11 ....ahem.... make sure you piece the four squares in such a way that you end up with a circle [first time I had a cross....] when I checked the thatquilt.com site just now for comparison I noticed I did it almost the same way. I cut four dark "generous" 2 1/2" squares - the site says 3" but you really only will need 2 3/8 since they finish 1 7/8" - then I made a template of the "bone shape" and marked four on light 'background' fabric using washable fabric marker. I marked the bones on each square for placement and used it to needle-turn applique my bones. I pressed my blocks and trimmed to 2 3/8" squares. When complete, I sewed the squares together by machine and also added the final strips as one long strip per side [my strips were 1" wide.] when I finished and pressed I trimmed block using my Dear Jane ruler to 5" square.

D1 is not PP'd I simply cut four 2 3/8" squares of dark fabric in half once diagonally. All light strips measure 1/4" - I cut a long strip 3/4" wide and very carefully stitched 1/4" seams matching four triangle bases to one side of my strip and leaving ~ 1/8-1/4" space between points of triangles. I then carefully placed the remaining four triangles directly across the first set on the other side of strip and attached them. I pressed the seams to the dark fabric and carefully trimmed the squares - placing the diagonal marking on my ruler midway down the center of the strip. Trimming squares to 2 1/8" I added another 3/4" light strip in between two squares with points meeting at the bottom. Pressed sections and added one more strip between the top and bottom parts. I ended up matching the inner corners of diagonals and taking a few hand stitches before stitching by machine.... difficult to match those d.....m corners!! The four dark outer border pieces need to measure 4x1 and corner squares finish 1/2" so are cut 1" squares. I sewed dark rectangles to two sides and light squares to one end of remaining rectangles by machine. I attached the remaining borders with squares to within 1/4" next square and added the remaining squares by hand.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335947[/ATTACH]sorry - I realized I hit post rather than add picture!!
Attached Thumbnails djc11-d1.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Fraew - your blocks are great!!! they all have been and youre right we are hardest on ourselves!! I kept questioning whether I really really wanted to mix those off white and white backgrounds myself. [I think we 'talked' about that before - doing the same stuff!] I personally decided to address my 'problem' the Bonnie Hunter way - by finishing my Jane her way. I will make the sashing somewhat wider - actually quite a bit wider - they are now 1/2" finished, they will be 2" and use "storm at sea" sashing mixing white with off white in the sashing to bring it together and I think I will use the fabrics in my blocks as part of the corner stones. Someone posted her quilt earlier [may have been you?? since it is in pinks]

http://www.quiltville.com/dearjaneatsea.shtml

have fun!!
Gus
Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I sit here in awe as I see the pics of the DJ blocks....and the triangles, wow. I have done 3, but I have enlarged to 6" finished, just could not see myself doing smaller......bless those who are doing as shown......

I have a question for Spartan quilter... are you using poly batting? and doing quilting as you go? How will you join all these together? The only way I know of doing that is covering the back seam with a narrow binding type of finish,handsewn down, is there a smoother way.
Geri, Yes, I am using poly batting with a very lightweight cotton behind that, and I am hand quilting as I go. I am putting a small sashing strip between each block, and that way the backing & poly fill in the space of the sashing on the back. I will finish the whole quilt with a piece of fleece, IF & WHEN I actually reach that point. I live in North Dakota, with VERY cold winters, and so I back all of my quilts with fleece. And then I will just do a simple SID by the sashing. I will not be doing the scallops on the edge. I am attaching a picture of what some of the blocks look like put together. I used the white that is my background and found some black with gold beading going through it, for the cornerstones, keeping in mind that this is a GLITZY JANE. Hope that I have answered your question.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]335979[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2012-march-27-dj-block-rows-1-2-left-side.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM

B E A U T I F U L Spartan!

Thanks Gus. Great blocks.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Spartan:
Looks so great finished like that. Thanks for showing us all