Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 102 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2778

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
    I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers Cindy - I know that throws you & emotions for a loop. My Mom was diagnosed back in 1990 - Dec 19 and had her surgery & came home right before Christmas. She was 76 then and lived well until 2 days before her 94th birthday. No other complications from the cancer ....or from the lupus she had from the time she was 23!

Jane has been around for 150 years and will patiently await your return!
    Monica
    Monica, thanks so much for the encouraging words and keep the prayers coming! We should, hopefully, have the surgery scheduled within the next few weeks. You are starting to move along with Jane again, I hope this means your other quilts are ready for the show.

Adnil, welcome aboard! Your block looks great. I'm in the habit of always washing my fabric as soon as I buy it. I hope to prevent uneven shrinkage (when the quilt is finished) and colors bleeding, especially reds. I did a group project once and my quilt was red, white, and blue. Guess which color bled? Yep, the red onto the whites.

Summer is over, I go back to work . . . in about 2 hours. Maybe I'll get back to DJ earlier than expected. I do love to sit and work on it for a bit in the very early hours while everyone else is still sleeping and before we start our busy day.

Adnil -the fabrics I used for DJ were mostly small pieces. I didnt pre-wash anything! Hopefully I will not regret it. I have made over a very very long stretched out period of time [since the 60s] about 40 or so quilts - only two have run. One just a few weeks ago I'm afraid, but not very badly. It was my All around the Town quilt I will put into our local show [and Cindy - - no ....still procrastinating & Jane is helping!!] the tree trunks bled ever so slightly. I failed to put color catchers in my He washer when I washed the top to get the blue pattern marker out. With color catchers or retayne or synthropol - the colors in fabrics are quite stable. I also once read - I believe it was something by Sharon Schramber who has won many many quilt awards, to shrink the fabric you applique with but not the background because that way your appliqued work will be 'pulled under' when the background shrinks a bit. Many quilters I know dont preshrink because that gives your finished quilt a softer crinkly feel afterwards. There are as many opinions as people!! I think if you have a color that is questionable to you, I do soak in cool water with a color catcher of some sort [years ago before they existed a little vinegar].
    Have fun!
    M

Blog Entries
    Alrighty then, I decided to do practice blocks first. So far, two a day. What I have learned: 1. From block A-3 ... for the applique I will be using Masterworks, the overly expensive digitizing program since I would never get my Jane done if I had to hand applique. 2. From block A-4, one can NEVER have enough seam rippers nor can one measure and remeasure too many times. If it is squared too small, add more fabric to next step )) I almost remade the block but didn't have to.

What in the world did Jane Sickle use as a seam ripper? I shall pop a cold one and ponder ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Adnil, tell me about Masterworks. As my fellow Janiacs know, I'm not fond of needleturn applique, although I did get better at it as my DJs progressed. I've often wondered how Jane did it without an iron or lights, let alone without a rotary cutter and a seam ripper!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katybob View Post
    Adnil, tell me about Masterworks. As my fellow Janiacs know, I'm not fond of needleturn applique, although I did get better at it as my DJs progressed. I've often wondered how Jane did it without an iron or lights, let alone without a rotary cutter and a seam ripper!
    Masterworks will allow you to use some designs already loaded OR you can download pictures or outlines and assign the decorative stitches (and MORE features) the software holds which was more than my machine had. For a couple years I took classes off and on. Then as I was doing a Chicken Fowl quilt for the second time. After you digitize a design, save file, and download to thumb drive. Then you hoop background fabric. The software will make a placement stitch, you lay fabric down, another stitch is made to secure fabric, trim fabric, then decorative stitches stitched. The first time I made this quilt I used only iron on fusing and the stitches on my machine.

http://www.critterpat.com/item.php?i...category_id=51

When I get A3 of Dear Jane redone, I will post up close so you can see. If I get ambtious, I'll do a tute on the embroidery process part.

I am also making a Rose of Sharon quilt. I bought BOM for it where the shop owner digitized it. Working on that has helped me understand Masterworks also.

Adnil, I'm not fully understanding 'Masterworks' - when I googled it, it seemed like an embroidery software program primarily for the baby lock that will adapt any picture or pattern you scan into it into an embroidery pattern that you then put into your embroidery machine and it will 'embroider' it on. What you said sounds sort of like the program is able to transfer the design to your background fabric, you add the top 'applique' fabric and it will stitch it in the right place for you to trim at the edges and then use a decorative stitch for final attachment???

as for me..... LOVE needle-turn!! I find it relaxing and as a math-wiz I usually think that if you measure correctly you usually get the piecing right. When I have had a problem piecing - which I have done primarily by machine with Jane - I have found that if I make the correction by hand in exactly the right spot, I only rip out once because it is easier to see what I am doing. Dont get me wrong! I frequently will think the machine will go much faster, but you can't turn your small block or part of your block sideways to take a better look. When I use the machine in an area that has a sharp point meeting another corner, I have also found that by lengthening my stitch the first time I sew the seam, adjustments are easier and I go over it with a tighter stitch when it is where I want it to be.

I meant to take lots of pictures while making M7 [week of Sept 8] but failed miserably I was sitting on the couch much of the time and finished it while at a quilt board meeting where I forgot to take out my phone to snap another photo. The most common blogspots - http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/2010/01/m-7.html and http://auntreensquilts.blogspot.com/...se-garden.html have slightly different ways of putting theirs together and mine is a third way
    I started by tracing the pattern from the book directly onto my background fabric. I also cut out the inner pointy square and each of the two different melons and print moon shape out of freezer paper to use as templates. I cut four melons of background, four of the other melons as outer points and 4 moons out of print, center section out of the print.Name:  dj m7b.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  42.5 KBName:  dj m7a1.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  45.4 KB
    Name:  dj m7a2.jpeg
Views: 159
Size:  43.2 KBName:  dj m7b (2).jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  35.7 KBI cut a 3 1/4" square for the center piece and traced the pattern onto the fabric with a light colored washaway marker for melon placement and needleturned the inner curves of the melons onto the square. When done I trimmed the print down under the melons. I appliqued the crescent moons to the background followed by the print melons at the corners. I then cut a circle out of the middle background and trimmed the background seam down, made sure I could see the placement for the crescent moons on the white melons for the center. I clipped the crescent inner curves, pinned them on and used reverse applique to attach the inner circle underneath.
    Gus

Blog Entries
    Wish someone had taught me to hand piece when I was young. But since I feel the urge to finish my Baby Jane in my lifetime, I must digitize. I so admire those who do hand piece and hand appliqué. My last 3 days of Jane

My second attempt at Jane came to a screeching halt this summer. I was in a mad rush to finish 23 grandchildren quilts for my sweet MotherInLaw. I finished 10 tops in June. All the same pattern so I'm pretty proficient at it lol. Then my Step Father passed July 7 and I rushed to Idaho for his funeral. I was scheduled to be gone four days, two for travel, two for funeral and visiting. WELL...those of you who know me, know I ended up staying in Idaho for six WEEKS. When I went to visit my In laws my 94 yrold Father-in-law was very ill from a broken shoulder. MotherInLaw was exhausted from taking care of him and what could I do but stay and take care of them both. My FatherInLaw passed a week later. It was quite an emotional ride. I stayed five more weeks while sweet MotherInLaw adjusted to her new world.

A long long story to get to the DearJane I took Sweet MotherInLaw to see. A local quilter, I think she was local, had many years of quilting on display in the local news paper office. We went specifically to see her DJ. It really was pretty, however, as you can see she, her Jane was her own design of Jane's blocks and solid blocks. It seemed to me she had chosen the most easy blocks or maybe her favorites, of course. I'm not being a critic, I promise, it was lovely! Adnil, if you can tell, you'll be pleased that even this wonderful quilter did no hand work. All her blocks needing hand work of any kind seemed to be fused and zigzagged. If I could talk myself into it, I'd finish faster and have a beautiful quilt!! My summer has changed my outlook on many things. I just might try it. But if you remember, I have two Janes going now and my second BatikJane BoM at four months behind...sob sob sob. There is hope! I'm nearly ready to begin again.

SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Monica and Adnil - all beautiful blocks!

SheriR - thanks for sharing. Sorry it was such a difficult summer. I've stopped making progress on my Jane, too, but will eventually get back to it.

SheriR, I am so tempted too to do what this quilter did with her DJ blocks. I am so longing to do the complete quilt but things in life take precedence over doing this whole quilt and I also have so many other quilts I want to make. I think this is a beautiful quilt so I am off to the sewing room to make a plan.....

Pewa, it really was a pretty DJ and very do able. I never even considered doing some blocks with fusible appliqué. Nor did I think of alternating blocks with a whole piece. I thinking go look at more versions of the DJ!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

SheriR, I have 49 blocks done and if I do a shortcut quilt I would still do the blocks in the traditional way, applique and piecing. At my age I just need to get this project done.

Blog Entries
    A few triangles: the first two I didn't know to resize block in EQ, thanks to Yvette of fitquilter.blogspot.com I now do not have to hand trace triangle patterns ( YAY ) and as a machine piecer only, the third triangle took longer than expected to figure out how to machine piece rather than RA ( reverse applique ). These are samples. Next week I will piece with BOM fabric.

Hats off to hand piecers!!!!

Blog Entries
    Hello, ladies! How are all? I hope heart that very well!
    Welcome to the new members!
    Here, in my life, have been many things, as the beginning of a new project with my husband who has stolen my mind and time these past few months. I hope that it is route soon, so I can return to my usual times.
    And the other that stole my hours of patchwork is the fact that I started taking sewing classes with a teacher once a week!
    And now I can tell you that I finished my first shirt! It is a classic shirt I did that a few details so that it is not so simple and common.
    I share a photo and hope it is to your liking!
    I just cut the fabrics for G-5, G-6, G-7 and G-8 to continue with my personal calendar of the Dear Jane, so I hope soon to share the block with you!
    I hope you all have a beautiful weekend!
    A big hug to everyone!

Hi all, I haven't been here for simply ages - my back is giving me serious problems and - although I have been reading all the posts - i haven't replied. Lovely blocks from everyone who has posted and what a very nice blouse Gladys.
    Anyway - with the help from my DH here is a photo of all my blocks sashed and joined together -- yippee !!!!!!!!!
    Now to start joining all the triangles -
    Have a nice weekend all.

DottyD, so sorry to hear about your back problems. Hang in there, I hope it can be resolved. My mom and I both have back problems, hers much more debilitating than mine. It really stinks. Hope there is help for you.

Thanks for posting your amazing quilt. It is absolutely gorgeous!!! Congratulations on seeing this through (especially with the health problems). Can't wait to see your tris.

Gladys, wonderful job on the blouse! Love the detail.

Adnil, your blocks are perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun long, holiday weekend.

Oh my word Dotty, your Jane is gorgeous!
    Everyone's blocks are fabulous. I really need to get back to mine. I can't tell you how far behind I am....'cause I don't know myself!
    Maureen

Dotty, Congratulations! Your quilt blocks are beautiful.

Gladys - WOW beautiful blouse
    Dotty - so glad to see you AND YOUR JANE!!! how I'd love to be that far

Cindy - you'll be proud to know I've finally started quilting for the show.... a bit tardy and once again ye ole Bernina tension problems reared its ugly head!!!! how I'd love to shove... you get the picture
    The front of the quilt not so bad - I will not be sharing the back any time soon - I simply need to get it done! and then there are four more [turn in date?? Sept 17.... no Jane on hold]
    Gus
    Name:  town1.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  61.6 KBName:  town2.jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  137.9 KB

@Monica, yes I am proud!! And all I have to say about your machine quilting is WOW!!! I already knew your applique and piecing are great, I should have known your quilting would be as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that your tension problems are kept at bay until you are ready for the show.

Thank you all for your kind comments - I am now cutting out all the plain Tri's to attach them to the pieced ones !
    Any tips anyone ??
    Monica your machine quilting looks very nice ! Good luck in your show !
    Cindy - I have some acupuncture booked for Tuesday - I really hope it will help !

Oookaaaay, now I know how far behind I am. I worked on A-10 today, so that's March of last year! It's a rather fun block, I must say, but it's not laying as flat as it should. I think I'll pick at her tomorrow & perhaps tidy it up with hand stitching.
    Maureen

I have been lurking this group for quite a while as I started a DJ 3-4 years ago. You have all been such an inspiration. Then I saw Katybob's pastel DJ and I just had to say "Beautiful! Gorgeous! Fantabulous!"
    MonicaG
    indiana

Thank you so much, Monica! I enjoyed the journey. Hope you get back to yours soon.

Page 102 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 101 102 103 ... LastLast