Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 AM

That's interesting JanRN, Is your backing rolled and out of the way when you quilt? Or are you sewing a seam when you sew on the sashing that goes onto the next block?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:26 PM

I know this is a weird way of doing it but it works for me. My backing isn't attached until all the blocks and sashing are sewn into rows then all together to make the quilt top. After all my blocks are done and sewn together the backing is added just like you would sandwich a quilt that wasn't already quilted. But the batting is already there. Does this make any sense?? Carrie, help! You know how I do it and maybe you can explain it a better LOL.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 PM

So do you kind of quilt with two backs, one for the individual blocks and then one for the over all quilt? Or do you quilt without a back then add the back.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Hi Jan and Toverly

You both have given me another idea of quilting my quilt, this way I will be learning how to quilt not only piece a tops together, I have always sent my quilts from double up to the longarm quilter, not sure of the cost over there but here in Oz it's not cheap,
I have only completed 3 large quilt in the 4years that I have been quilting. The only quilting I have done is stitch in the ditch on table runners and a lap quilt.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Toverly--Jan quilts just with the block and the batting (batting is cut big enough for sashing too). I've done one quilt Jan's way and was able to do more quilting in each block this way than with the QAYG method I usually do. I added a border around each block, sashing on just a couple sides and then joined the quilted blocks. I used cotton batting because it works better for the quilting than poly when quilting without a backing. Here is the quilt I made...

In this quilt I added the green sashing to the right side and bottom of the first two blocks and just the bottom of the third. Just the sides on the bottom row...
Attached Thumbnails dsc03521.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Thank you, Carrie. I know what I want to say, just couldn't get the words right. Senior blonde moment!!
Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Happy to help Jan.

I think with this method the thing to remember is to cut your batting just a little bigger than your block (and sashing), so that you have plenty to square up before joining the blocks.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:32 AM

Lyn your blocks are beautiful, love your colour combo.

Carriem I love seeing your MB quilt all over again, still beautiful
Old 07-02-2014, 04:10 AM

Thanks JanRN and Carriem, I have never attempted quilting without the back with just the batting on the back.What a great idea. I also love the idea of doing each star individual and then joining them together. I think I will have to give that a try! I saw an online youtube video where someone joined blocks together in a long column and quilted them that way then went onto the next row with the quilted part to the left. It gave a column effect on the back, I may do it that way. My son had claimed the star quilt already.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:59 PM

I did Montana! It was surprising that I had missed it. But that's the way it is when you work up packets and then pick them up one at a time. Here it is, Have a Happy and Safe Fourth Y'all![ATTACH=CONFIG]481567[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 26-montana.jpg