Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 PM

My DDad always carried a handkerchief (he'd never call it a hankie.) One time I was at church sittin' next ta him. There were some members that I knew who had died & I had just found out so I was cryin' real hard. Daddy gave me his handkerchief. YUCK! It was covered in...well lets just say that he really used it alot! I was so grossed out that I quit cryin'. He never knew why I quit cryin' as I just quietly handed it back ta him. LOL The weird memories that surface when I git ta thinkin'.
Tamarrow DH & I are gonna head ta the Ft Worth area ta see about buyin' an '03 Sequoia. I gave mine ta my DD last summer & have been drivin' the 2012 Tundra. It's just a bit big for me & the seats just aren't right. I prefer the first generation Tundra's or Sequoia's. This one is grey w/heated leather seats. Wait here is the link.

http://www.freemantoyota.com/used/To...b65e6b2aae.htm
It will have a powertrain warranty up to 200,000 miles. DH spent alotta time talkin' ta the guys at that dealership taday. We leave tamarrow & hopefuly will come home on Monday w/it. It's a 5 hour drive.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:38 AM

Anne, you sure stirred up the memories with the talk of hankys. Jeanie, MrJanRn still uses white handkerchiefs every day even now that he works at home. Another use for hankys: when I was younger you had to wear a hat in church (Catholic); if I forgot my hat my mother would get my dad's hanky and pin in on top of my head! Thankfully, was always clean, Bev!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:55 AM

Men's handkerchiefs were great pressing cloths before the steam iron..I remember using them as such for putting the crease in wool slacks after wearing them a couple of times..couldn't stand baggie knees. regular pressing cloths were too stiff & bulky..Everything had to be ironed in my Mom's household..everything!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

LOL folks, we've gone from paninni makers to hankies to press cloths!

I remember coins in hankies, Dad's hankies--white for Sunday, red bandanas for work. The farm ones would get so dirty in summer from wiping the sweat off.

And how liberating not to have anything on your head at Mass.

DMIL always had a spare pair of undies in her glove compartment especially in winter. Just in case she got stranded in town because of weather, as she worked off the farm.

I still use very few paper towels, too Jeanie. Have you seen the reusable kind? Here's a link. I thought they were a little silly as they will get so dirty and stained and pricey to make with the snaps. I've cut my old towels in half, fold then and stick them in an old one gallon crock on the counter. I use them for a million things.
http://www.kamsnaps.com/Reusable-Was...Towels-75.html

I've been putting finishes on some little projects. Just HQ'd a small peach tablerunner, then to bind it. Also four more to HQ. Have two others waiting to stitch the binding down. BB time is here..watched a nail biter last night..don't think I got much quilting done...The winter months our guild is meeting during the day and request is to bring some hand sewing to work on. Great time to finish off those bindings. Have some historian work to do before tomorrow..May get in a little stitching.

Oh this typing on the Kindle gets frustrating. It likes to do the thinking for me..and then I type in the wrong things! Time consuming to go back and correct it..oh well have. A great day...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:19 AM

Here's the scraps I got yesterday.. There's at least 5 yards by my calculations...At first the LQS said that the tops of the bags needed to be closed and after seeing how much I can get in the bags they gave up.. and when they see me come in they bring the scrap boxes to the table..Thats where I tumbled off the rolling chair!

OK, T shirts get cut off under the arms then I use my serger without thread to spiral cut them into a single strip..They make great crocheted rugs..then the sleeves are opened up and the rest of the shirt gets cut up for rags..they go under the sink... My terrycloth towels get cut up for hand towels & washcloths...I put them out for the kids to use. I think I'm going to get the cookie jar that sits atop a hutch in the garage hallway and put it on my counter for dishtowels..Good idea OK..I can just see it now DH asking me "what happened to the cookies?'..

Kids will be over later so I think I'll tend to my hobby for a bit...Have a good day all and stay warm! H.
Attached Thumbnails img_0381.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Like the haul,Honchey..ready for the mystery ride. Got my 1st clue sewn last night. Oh and your email with the guild pics bounced back to me. Will try again later. I had slooow internet last night.

Off to finish December pics then off to town. Sun's shining and may be above zero!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 AM

OK, I have to press my pieces before sewing them...It's such a lousy day, rainy sleet maybe some snow covering..
A good day for doing the above...

It's Monday, I wonder what our newly retired person is doing today??
Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 AM

The newly retired is smiling ear to ear! Phone rang last night about 8 and my first thought was "crap, someone called in sick for Monday"----old habits die hard LOL. We had ice & sleet overnight and when I was just waking up at 7:30 (as opposed to 5:30) I heard some neighbors out there scraping their cars and smiled even wider (I'm going to hell aren't I?) since it wasn't me! I'm working on a compass star block and it's not going well; I keep screwing it up; I'm swearing so much I think I'm melting the ice outdoors!

Anne, I have my scraps sorted by batiks, metallics, and regular; do you need any of those? Let me know and I'll send some out (just remember to set them outside for a day, I still smoke). Any one else need any? Let me know.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 AM

I can never say NO to scraps!!!!! not so crazy about metallic... I have an outside clothesline waiting and thanks for offering....
Old 01-12-2015, 12:37 PM

I have been wondering what to do with my scraps...the pile seems to be growing faster than I am sewing. I will continue to work on the TW as much as I can.

Right now I am canning the beef that has been in the freezer for awhile. If I can clear all the beef, I will tackle the pork next, then the chickens, before Friday. Two sinks full of beef are all cooking or have been cooked and I am putting the meat into jars that DH washed for me.

Better get myself back to doing that. Enjoyed all the handy stories and remembering of few of them too. Everyone enjoy the sunshine today.