Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
NEW! BOM with Quilt Story Quilt-Along >

NEW! BOM with Quilt Story Quilt-Along

NEW! BOM with Quilt Story Quilt-Along

Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Hi everyone!! So I started this thread because this year long BOM looked like it would be fun and since it goes for an entire year I figured that was an easy pace to keep up on without too much pressure. Funny!!! I got so busy and had two surgeries and fell far behind!! I am well now--and back in the swing of sewing and quilting.

While on vacation, I've been doing some much needed catch-up! I have made my blocks for March through July and thought I would finally share them with you all!! Most of my blocks were taken from Eleanor Burns quilt books, Victory Quilts or Quilt Blocks on American Barns.

I was having trouble deciding what fabrics to use for this BOM and then I happened to find two of Michael Miller's OOH LA LA fabrics(the fabric line Megan is using on QuiltStory)and my choice was made!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350852[/ATTACH]
My March 9 Patch--"Cups and Saucers Block"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350853[/ATTACH]
My April Block-HST-"Saw Toothed Star"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350854[/ATTACH]
My May Hourglass Block - "Broken Sugar Bowl"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350855[/ATTACH]
My June Flying Geese Block

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350856[/ATTACH]
My July Rounded Block-"Broken Wheel Block"

And just in time for September's paper pieced block, Patricia Faye is doing a Paper Pieced quilt along!! What fun!!

Sorry the colors in my pictures aren't true! My fabrics really blend well-mostly pink accents with a bit of red.
Attached Thumbnails 9-patch.jpg   hst.jpg   hourglass.jpg   flying-geese.jpg   rounded.jpg  

Last edited by yayaquilts; 07-23-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Karen, aka yayaquilts, I love your blocks. You did a great job on each of them. Hope to see you in September at Quilts for Rosie - Weekly Paper Pieced Sampler Quilt Along. I love paper pieced blocks!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:23 PM

Oh! Karen, they are beautiful! Great color & contrast! Each one does fit it's months theme.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 PM

What a treat it was to look at your blocks. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:33 PM

Karen, your blocks are beautiful! I forgot all about this BOM, I don't think I'm going to finish this one. I do have too many projects and I'm way behind on almost all of them
Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 AM

Karen, you've done a wonderful job. I love your color selection. The wait was definitely worth it.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks ladies!! I'm really happy with my blocks. When I found my "inspiration" fabric I also decided to make this quilt for my mom. She's 84 and used to sew, most of her life! She has arthritis in her hands and has lost her desire to sew anymore, but she really appreciates quilts! She actually made a scrappy stack and slash quilt and finished the top, without borders before she stopped sewing. So I added the borders and quilted it for her. She uses that quilt in the winter but she always says it's too heavy (I used Warm & Natural in it and stippled all over the quilt).

So I am making this quilt top for her and will back it in flannel. I'm not going to use any batting---so it will be more like a coverlet and it will be lightweight! I'll probably do some SID to hold it together. I will need to make 8 additional blocks to make it large enough for her double bed and will have to make a couple of deep borders to make the sides of it long enough. I'll share my extra blocks when I finish them, too.

It was easy to get caught up on the blocks once I found my inspiration and decided who it would be making it for!!! Looking forward to finishing it.