Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-31-2015, 06:28 AM

I just adore the 1930's prints that have little people, animals or toys and such on them!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:06 AM

Have several of those prints in this batch!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 AM

I have done basic quilting and love hexies, what level quilter do you think you need to be
Old 07-31-2015, 11:17 AM

Hi Dottyrose, I consider myself a beginner. I have done some basic sewing and sew hexies too but I think I can do this. I posted a picture of my first ever paper pieced block a few pages back. If you are interested in jumping in, please do. I think there are a few people who have signed up that are new to paper piecing too. Pam
Old 07-31-2015, 11:41 AM

Remember gals, several of these blocks can be just pieced. Check out Aunt (4 shapes), Becky, Belle, Betty, and Bonnie. These are very easy blocks. You do NOT have to paper piece all the blocks! I will run these blocks on cardstock, cut out the shapes and trace onto the back of the fabric. I won't paper piece these blocks. Make sure your 1/4" foot is accurate. The blocks will be 6 1/2" when completed.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 AM

This is my 3rd pping quilt along and considered myself a fairly new beginner way back when.. I had only done a couple of 4" Dear Jane blocks.. I learned an awful lot since then.and I still find some types of pping blocks difficult and challenging.. Many of the ladies from the PC group were in the same boat as myself.. We learned together, gave advice about the different ways of doing this technique of piecing...If you can sew on the black line you can paper piece... watch many of the pping tutes on the web..youtube is a good place to start...Carol Doak's group on Yahoo is another..so come along..we welcome everyone...
Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 AM

I won't be able to start my blocks till around the middle of the month but will be watching every one closely. I pp'd years ago and feel that I will have to learn all over again. It's doable and I am looking forward to learning but at 78 it takes a little longer to learn or remember how things are supposed to go.
No, I am not feeling sorry for myself. In fact I am very proud of the fact that I just finished a crocheted cardigan thanks to a class I am taking from Craftsy. Something I have wanted to do for a long time. Next is a knit cardigan, also from a class on Craftsy. Love those classes!
I have just signed up for Carol Doak's class, Guess I will start with that now.
Have a good day all!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:51 AM

Sunrise450, not to worry, Jump right in, with a refresher class you'll do fine..

I've been cutting fabrics for certain blocks and discovered the Block 40 Grandmother has an inset corner that is not there in the diagramed block on page 199..to avoid that remove piece A1 from the foundation strip and add it to section D2. in that way you'll have a square section sewn to the rectangle end section...
Old 08-01-2015, 10:29 AM

Sunrise - I learned to knit early on, but cannot crochet for the life of me. All my loops are different sizes ! Maybe I need to take the Craftsy Class!

Anne - do you have a log of all the changes you have found that you could paste into a post for us. I did not make note of them as you mentioned them . This way we can cut and paste into a document and print and keep with the book.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Sunrise, you'll love Carol Doak's class. I have her PP one and have completed some of it (the plain PP one, not the medallion star one). I love her teaching style. So calm and easy and explaining every step of the way.