Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 06-14-2015, 07:51 AM

Default The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Hello and Welcome,

Come & join the new Farmers Wife 30's Sampler Quiltalong that will be starting August 4th, 2015.

Laurie Aaron Hird is the author writing the "Inspiring letters from farm women of the Great Depression and 99 quilt blocks that honor them".

All levels of experience sewer/quilters are welcome. All advice and support given is appreciated and will be graciously received.

There is no sign up required. Do these blocks at your own pace. There are no quilt police here.

We will be doing 2 blocks a week in alphabetical order until all the blocks are done.

Most Importantly you need to have the book. The book comes with a cd that contains paperpiecing patterns, rotary cutting instructions, templates for hand piecing.

The books are available at Amazon.com & Fons & Porter.com

Mark your calendars... Startup is Tuesday, August 4th, 2015 and weekly on Tuesday thereafter.

We will be using this thread for all communication until we start. To avoid any confusion please do not post any new threads. Use the above titled thread.

This is the place and time to ask any questions. If I'm not available for for any reason I'm sure there will be someone on the board qualified to answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Everyone, Laurie Aaron Hird has graciously given me permission to post some excerpts of the introduction, letters and a photo of the book the FWS 30's Sampler Quilt book.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-17-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add information per member
Old 06-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

And you are off..Will be watching from the sidelines while working on the other FW quilts..
Old 06-14-2015, 08:16 AM

that's okay OK..You can be our coach on the sidelines...
Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 AM

Perfect timing! I just ordered the book from Amazon and it arrived a few days ago. I've already made Addie and Aimee to try out the patterns and I think they're going to be fun. I've got quite a bit of 30's fabric, but I need to shop for coordinating background fabric.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:29 AM

So glad to have you aboard Katy..I had to get the solid colored fabric too...I have a lot of odds & ends to use with my 30's & 40's fabric..
Old 06-14-2015, 08:36 AM

Honchey--This will be lots of fun. I have more than half of the paper pieced patterns printed and fabrics chosen. I'll be starting to cut fabrics this week.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 AM

Honchey -- Did you order solid fat quarters or did you get a selection from your LQS?
Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Oooops. my typed message disappeared! trying again.

Since June is the All Iowa Quilt Shop Hop, I am seriously searching out reproduced fabrics of the 1930s and showing off my autographed copy of the book. I have printed off all blocks, templates, paper piecing and rotary instructions putting all the info in a protective 'sleeve' in ABC order. Now going back through and pasting the templates on to light cardboard and coloring the little 'block' with the correct colors. Found a lot of 1930s fabric in the Amana Colonies and Satin Stitches in Columbia, Mo. One more day scheduled the 24th of June to see 6 more Iowa Shops.

Meanwhile, I am tring to finish UFO projects without adding new projects, but not successful on that idea. Dh wanted a fox fabric, QS at Pella, Iowa, had one that I had to order...I think the group pressured me a bit on that one. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Third time around; maybe I can finish this one too but it will be one block at a time. Hope we can meet in the virtuall RV again as well.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
Honchey -- Did you order solid fat quarters or did you get a selection from your LQS?
I had some Kona solids and I purchased some from the LQS.. I purchased 1/4 yard pieces. I know I'll have to get more but for now I'm okay with what I have..

If you look real close at the block photos you"ll see some marbled solids too!

Last edited by Honchey; 06-14-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM

I'm tempted to give this a try, but I'm a bit intimidated. I don't do paper piecing and rarely sew by hand (other than bindings)--would this be doable for me?