Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

CindyA 04-16-2013 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr (Post 6003273)
Hi Cindy and katybob!! yep blocks look awesome! [a makeup block???] Gus

J-5 was from March 10th, I grabbed that page by mistake. One less to do when I try to catch up on all the ones I've missed this past year!

Monica, hope you're not getting sick! Especially with company coming. But at least the taxes are done. Yeah!!! The owls are TOOO CUTE!

Gladys, beautiful blocks. Glad to see you back, I was just thinking of you yesterday before you posted.

Katybob, thanks. I followed thatblogspsot.com for the most part but find myself basting a little more these days to keep pieces in place before they're sewn down. If I put my machine on the longest stitch and put in about 4 stitches it doesn't take too long to remove after I'm done but helps so much while I'm working on it.

CindyA 04-17-2013 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
J-13 Pam's Bells
[ATTACH=CONFIG]408578[/ATTACH]

katybob 04-17-2013 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Week 66. These were fun.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]408589[/ATTACH]
Cindy, you baste the pieces to be appliqued on your machine? How do you keep the little ones straight and hold them down before they're basted? Is that how you did the teardrops in J-13? Those points are right on the mark.

CindyA 04-17-2013 02:25 PM

Katybob,

for J-13 I measured all the pieces (except the tear drops) and rotary cut then pieced. I cut out the tear drops from freezer paper. Then I turned the sean allowance over the paper and finger pieced, but it wasn't 'holding' in place as much as I wanted so I hand basted the seam allowance down, the appliqued them.

For J-5 I made the center square block, leaving extra seam allowance. Then made the outer 'frame,' turning the seam allowance under. I think I hand basted that seam allowance (but might have done a little on the machine). Then when I went to applique that top piece onto the bottom piece it kept shifting so much that I machine basted aprroximately 4 stitches on each of the four sides to hold it in place. I find that it holds the pieces in place and if I've used the longest stitch on my machine it doesn't take too long to remove.

Love your blocks!

Cre8tvlwyr 04-18-2013 09:06 AM

You've got that right Cindy! I learned a long time ago [and sometimes remember!] to turn my stitches to extra long length when I have a tricky area to sew where the points or curves are. If you're lucky enough to have that perfect fit the first time, just move your stitch length slightly shorter and go over it once - if not, yank that baby out and do it once [or thrice] more!
Gus [Monica ...just in case people were wondering who Monica is!]

btw - never got sick - must really have been an allergy

CindyA 04-20-2013 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This block is from last July. E-4 Buffalo Tree Hopper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409178[/ATTACH]

CindyA 04-21-2013 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure what got into me, but I have all three done for this week.
J-4 Adelaine's Apron Strings
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409339[/ATTACH]

J-12
Oops - the picture didn't make it on to my computer. I'll upload it next.

Left Side, 13th
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409340[/ATTACH]

CindyA 04-21-2013 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is: J-12 Rebecca's Basket.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409341[/ATTACH]

Cre8tvlwyr 04-21-2013 05:54 PM

Awesome Cindy!!
love the fabric choices too :) gotta take the pictures of J-3 and J-7 which I finished on my b'day - had a very very lazy day and decided to play computer games!! [my 6 3/4 yr old DGS's influence!] I've also slowed down on Jane - bummed because I am so sure there is no way I can have it done for the Sept show :(
will post soon...

Cre8tvlwyr 04-23-2013 03:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK - got some pictures of the latest 4 blocks... was also trying to figure out how long ago I posted J4, but I can't find the post number.... there it is....#2215.
Here are April 14th's blocks, J3,7, and 13
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]409747[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]409749[/ATTACH]
sorry about the lack of pressing before I took those pics! they would look better, but then it would take yet longer again!! If I had it to do over - which I will not - I would have made the inner square on point in J3 a little smaller than the book sketch. Jane's background is the same as her sashing, so it blends into a full square without the points cut off. I will "fix" it with my quilting by carrying the quilting line into the sashing a bit when I get to that point so it doesn't look cut off. Just a note - I hand appliqued the middle section that I had fussy cut out of "Crossroads to Texas" onto a square of my background. Then I snipped away part of the background that was covered to give it a more supple feel before adding the corners. J7 I messed up the width of one of the red sections [that's what happens when you try to force what you need out of one 5" charm square! Why? dk because I had two others of that print - but not redoing it]

J13 I made the center square a little larger and based the other sections on that [2 1/8" finished or 2 5/8" cut square instead of 1 3/4" finished, cut at 2 1/4"]
I also have J12 - I made that diffferently - Jane made a traditional basket with an upside down triangle as the basket supported by two upside down triangles at the base. Her triangle is taller and doesnt extend all the way to the sides of the block. The base of my triangle - which you should have on the straight grain - I cut at 4 5/16." For the triangle supports, I cut a 1 3/4" square in half diagonally [finishes 7/8"]. Then I cut a 7/8" bias strip for the handle. My base background below the basket I cut 1 1/4" x 5 1/4" and cut it down later. The handle background is cut at 2 1/2" x 5 1/4"