Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

Cre8tvlwyr 02-03-2014 07:14 PM

Gemrm,
Don't get the wrong impression from what I wrote. I have used the starch method on a few things and it does work well once you get the hang of it. For some, it doesn't take long to do so and I have many friends that use this as their preferred method of applique. If you want a crisp finish, it does the best job. Many of the things I am working on now and in the recent past look better with a softer curved edge. If you are familiar with Pearl Piereira's works - Baltimore Christmas, Baltimore Halloween, American States Album [dont know if this is the right name...] She has hundreds of pieces in her blocks, some extremely small and much easier to deal with when using the starch method properly.

I think it is a good idea to try many different methods and use what you are most comfortable with depending on what you are making.

GV09 02-05-2014 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 6551819)
I looked at this link, as the idea of using starch sounds interesting, but all I saw at the link were a bunch of pictures?

Hello, GEMRM!
All post and vídeo for appliqué are in this link:
http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/
A hug!

cindynvb 02-05-2014 09:41 AM

Nice blocks everyone. I've been looking at the pictures on pinterest. When I get home I'm going to restart my quilt.
Cindy

QuiltingNinaSue 02-06-2014 02:22 PM

I cut out my first Dear Jane block today...A1; finished it and started on A2. I had not realized that the raw edge to edge was five inches on the completed block....whew! Mini series!! I have a new respect for all of you who have completed Dear Jane, or currently working on Dear Jane blocks. Don't have any idea how many blocks I will finish at this time. Mercy!!

judy363905 02-10-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue (Post 6559173)
I cut out my first Dear Jane block today...A1; finished it and started on A2. I had not realized that the raw edge to edge was five inches on the completed block....whew! Mini series!! I have a new respect for all of you who have completed Dear Jane, or currently working on Dear Jane blocks. Don't have any idea how many blocks I will finish at this time. Mercy!!

Nina Sue, these tiny blocks are like potato chips the more you make the more your enjoyment and fun you will have. I Was "playing" with my blocks yesterday. My piece count is 4934, not counting the one piece fill in triangles for the borders. My plan is to begin sashing blocks March 1st as I have a couple project to complete first.
I will be watching for your progress :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

jillaine 02-11-2014 09:31 AM

After a good year off, I've returned to my baby Jane. Did I see reference to a new thread starting up?

GV09 02-13-2014 08:49 AM

You can do it! I took a great tip: "A block at a time"! And I'm going slow... but for sure! Enjoy! A hug!

GV09 02-13-2014 08:51 AM

I love your blocks! Those are so beautiful!
And love those fabrics!
A hug!

GEMRM 02-16-2014 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr (Post 6553770)
Gemrm,
Don't get the wrong impression from what I wrote. I have used the starch method on a few things and it does work well once you get the hang of it. For some, it doesn't take long to do so and I have many friends that use this as their preferred method of applique. If you want a crisp finish, it does the best job. Many of the things I am working on now and in the recent past look better with a softer curved edge. If you are familiar with Pearl Piereira's works - Baltimore Christmas, Baltimore Halloween, American States Album [dont know if this is the right name...] She has hundreds of pieces in her blocks, some extremely small and much easier to deal with when using the starch method properly.

I think it is a good idea to try many different methods and use what you are most comfortable with depending on what you are making.

So far I have been pressing the applique piece edges over the freezer paper without glue or starch and then removing the freezer paper. Then I pin the piece into place and go from there. I think though, that I might try starching the fabric first on my next set of applique. I'll let you know how it goes.

And, I must get my camera out and post pictures - I have about 8 blocks done now.
Soon, I promise!

CindyA 02-19-2014 03:47 AM

I've tried a lot of different applique techniques. One of the things I tried was diluted liquid starch and Templar, a heat resistant plastic. You cut the Templar in the shape of the piece and cut the fabric with the 1/4" seam allowance. Then I used a small craft paint brush and painted starch along the edges of the fabric, folded over and pressed with the iron. You then remove the Templar and the piece is ready to applique. I tend to go heavy handed with the starch and while it makes a perfectly shaped piece it's tougher getting the needle through.

I also like the method where you iron freezer paper on the back side of the fabric and then fold and glue the seam allowance over. I cut the back of my pieces anyway, and that way you can remove the freezer paper from the back side of your block. I almost always cut the back side of my applique blocks away to reduce bulk, freeing me up to quilt more easily.