Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-cyber-sew-2011-a-t95413.html)

Lacelady 02-16-2011 12:29 PM

Terrific story Candi, and all because of that, here you are now! Boy I envy you having several months in the Pacific though, even if you had to put up with others in the cold.

Ducky 02-16-2011 01:45 PM

Candi, that was wonderful. That one tiny thought turned into this. It made me try to remember what got me into it. I'll have to venture into the dusty, cobwebby recesses of my mind to recall. ***If I don't make it back, send in a search team!*** :shock:

Well, I did it again. I changed my mind on the background color. I looked at Shadowplay denim-colored fabric, which was really nice, but I decided to go with a very deep brown Walnut Shadowplay. It almost looks like wood. I have to go with this because I ordered several yards. :D

Shemjo 02-16-2011 02:12 PM

Thank you Candi for sharing your Quilting Odyssey with us! I used to shop Lee Wards stores. The one I frequented most was offering a beginning quilting class and I signed up. There were several of us who were taught by a first grade teacher who had just begun a guild! I went to that and was fascinated by all the pretties! I was hooked! And this was in the late 80s when most everything was pink or blue calico with the same value! My, how times have changed!

debe 02-16-2011 04:10 PM

lol...i learned that the hard way when i was doing block 1...thanks for the heads up on the rest.

QuiltswithConvicts 02-16-2011 06:13 PM

Evening, everyone!

Welcome to our newcomers. Please don't ever think that a question you have is "dumb." The only dumb ones are the ones that aren't asked! That is one of the really neat things about a sew-along; you have lots of others to help you when you hit a snag.

I am getting stuff finished or am working on prep work for 2 workshops. After that, I'll be able to get a jump on our project. I want to get a block done to show you my method of machine applique, but I do have to get this other stuff out of the way before I can have fun. In the mean time, these other ladies who have the fidgits are going to keep you "in stitches" for me.

candi 02-16-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Candi, that was wonderful. That one tiny thought turned into this. It made me try to remember what got me into it. I'll have to venture into the dusty, cobwebby recesses of my mind to recall. ***If I don't make it back, send in a search team!*** :shock: :D

Are you back Ducky :lol: :mrgreen: :?:

Ducky 02-16-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by candi

Originally Posted by Ducky
Candi, that was wonderful. That one tiny thought turned into this. It made me try to remember what got me into it. I'll have to venture into the dusty, cobwebby recesses of my mind to recall. ***If I don't make it back, send in a search team!*** :shock: :D

Are you back Ducky :lol: :mrgreen: :?:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Whew!!!! Yes, I'm back. What a strange little place that is! :-D Actually, I bought my first machine (Kenmore) about 35 years ago with great plans of making clothes. I found that I didn't enjoy that very much, so I went on to counted cross stitch for a few years, but really wanting to use my machine for something (I love to create). My mother and I saw a one-day class being offered for making a Trip Around The World quilt top. We signed up and both fell in love with it. So 30-some years later, here I am.

I am so excited! I have been working on a practice #9 piece and it is looking pretty good. I think needle turn may become an obsession! I'll show pictures when I'm further along.

Butterflyspain 02-17-2011 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, well I finished my TRIAL block yesterday. I found I had a hard time with needleturn so went back to what I learned in the DJ quilt, that is to baste all my pieces over a paper template. It worked well and here is my block in the colours I will be using however I reiterate its a trial, I am not happy with the gold thread on the yellow think a nice colour would work better whatcha all think.

I can post how to do this, you cut out the back as Lesley did and take out the paper template at that time if you need photos I will make another block and show you all how.

TRIAL block 9 AOTH
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120779[/ATTACH]

Butterflyspain 02-17-2011 12:25 AM

BTW I also stuffed the hearts with some batting fabric to puff them up they will be better when the backing is on and quilted

Elle

gaigai 02-17-2011 03:09 AM

Wow! That looks great Elle!!