Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   Affairs of the Heart Photos - Block #9 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/affairs-heart-photos-block-9-a-t95416.html)

np3 07-04-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one who has started this project late! :thumbup:

I used Steam a Seam 2 to secure the large hearts to the black background not realizing how much it would gum up my needle, so I can't do the embroidery in those hearts. That's OK with me, because the fabric is busy enough and no one will miss them. I also chose not to do the gold embroidery around the outside edge of those hearts. It really doesn't need it with the blanket stitch.

So what I did first is attach the purple to the green with a blanket stitch, then SAS the green/purple to the black fabric. I used SAS to attach the outer hearts, then did the gold embroidery by hand. After that, I put a piece of batting and muslin behind it and stitched around the green leaves, yellow center and outer hearts. I really like it!

I like it too! Was the blanket stitch by hand?

Ducky 07-04-2011 11:57 AM

Wow!!! 7x that is beautiful! The stitching and embroidery are wonderful.

ann clare 07-04-2011 12:16 PM

Quilter7 your block is beautiful.

np3 07-04-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Wow!!! 7x that is beautiful! The stitching and embroidery are wonderful.

Not used to the new Ducky face yet. Miss those eyes!!!

Deecee 07-04-2011 01:29 PM

Q7 - I love the purple/lime green. Very zingy.

Andrea - yes I am working on #11. About half way through but not real happy with my fabric. I need to stare at it for a while and decide which bit I don't like, but I have to work today (it's 7.30 a.m. here) so will have to leave it until tonight.

I should be getting ready for work instead of catching up with all the overnight chatter. I try to have a quick catch up before I leave for work each day, so I don't get time to comment much.

Ducky - love your more relaxed look.

Quilter7x 07-04-2011 02:20 PM

The blanket stitch was done by machine.

Originally Posted by np3

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one who has started this project late! :thumbup:

I used Steam a Seam 2 to secure the large hearts to the black background not realizing how much it would gum up my needle, so I can't do the embroidery in those hearts. That's OK with me, because the fabric is busy enough and no one will miss them. I also chose not to do the gold embroidery around the outside edge of those hearts. It really doesn't need it with the blanket stitch.

So what I did first is attach the purple to the green with a blanket stitch, then SAS the green/purple to the black fabric. I used SAS to attach the outer hearts, then did the gold embroidery by hand. After that, I put a piece of batting and muslin behind it and stitched around the green leaves, yellow center and outer hearts. I really like it!

I like it too! Was the blanket stitch by hand?

Mousie 07-04-2011 05:24 PM

7! it's beautimous! I likey! great pics of everything too! how much starch did you use on your fabrics?
I started my blue 9 with fusible pieces, but I think i had it so stiff that the needle chewed the fabric some and I started over.
I went with my heart and saving all the blue and fabrics that went with it, for another book, lol.
I'm working on my new one and will post it soon.
Can't wait to see your next block! marvelous #9! woo hoo! :thumbup:

sandpat 07-04-2011 05:44 PM

Diane...it looks great! I just love how you are doing it with that blanket stitch..I think letting it be the quilting will work out wonderfully. Tell Beth....YES...Great job picking, can she come here and play with mine??

Ducks....I like this look much better!

Quilter7x 07-04-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
7! it's beautimous! I likey! great pics of everything too! how much starch did you use on your fabrics?
I started my blue 9 with fusible pieces, but I think i had it so stiff that the needle chewed the fabric some and I started over.
I went with my heart and saving all the blue and fabrics that went with it, for another book, lol.
I'm working on my new one and will post it soon.
Can't wait to see your next block! marvelous #9! woo hoo! :thumbup:

I sprayed the starch into a tiny container to let it become liquid, then used a Q-Tip to saturate the fabric hanging out from the freezer paper shapes, then pressed the edges over the freezer paper. The starch does a wonderful job of keeping the fabric in place. Thanks for the compliment!

Originally Posted by sandpat
Diane...it looks great! I just love how you are doing it with that blanket stitch..I think letting it be the quilting will work out wonderfully. Tell Beth....YES...Great job picking, can she come here and play with mine??

Ducks....I like this look much better!

Thanks so much Patti! At first I didn't like the blanket stitch. I thought it would go one stitch top to bottom, then a stitch to the side, then another stitch top to bottom and so on, but nope, it takes one stitch top to bottom, back up and back down again, so there are three stitches top to bottom on top of each other. Looking at it now, it's a perfect stitch!

I love how the blanket stitch is starting to become the quilting, totally loving the effect.

Yes, Beth is for hire, but she pilfers quilts like Dreamer and Ducky do, so you need to watch out for all of them! :shock: :lol:

sandpat 07-04-2011 06:38 PM

LOL...another pilferer????? I'm beginning to think its some type of prerequisite to become a "real quilter"...hmmm...I guess I've been know to have a tendency to want to snitch one or two myself! :oops:..Wonder if that means I'm a "real" quilter ??? :LOL: